Currently got a ts9 pedal but looking for another OD pedal for stacking with.. Was looking into the Maxon OCD.. Sounds great but it's quite pricy. Is anyone aware of any pedals that work well with the ts9 at a reasonable price?
What do you want it to sound like? What guitar and amp are you using?

Also there's no such pedal as a Maxon OCD. There's a few maxon overdrives and the Fulltone OCD, all quite different. The most common Maxon overdrive is almost exactly the same thing as a TS9.
maxon ocd? don't you mean the fulltone?

i like something more transparent with a ts- timmy, boss bd2/digitech screamin blues, original marshall bluesbreaker (or clone), something like that.

depends on what type of tone you're after and what your amp is too, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My mistake. I meant the full tone OCD. Im playing through a fender Blues junior with a fender strat.. and I'm going for a kenny Wayne shepherd sorta tone.
I run a Timmy in front of my Tube Screamer... With both on, you get some great saturation.
Awesome!
not that familiar with KWS

an ocd might be too heavy for that? (i'm guessing he's a bit like srv)

i'd probably get something more transparent (and not too heavy), but as i said, i'm not too well up on KWS, so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How do you want to use them? Are you using one as a boost and the other for your dirty sound? Guys like KWS, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Trey Anastatio of Phish use this setup, but use 2 tubescreamers. If that's the sound you're after, maybe look into getting a 2nd TS9.

Personally, I think a good set up is a TS9 with a BD2. It's got a lot off boost availiable, it doesn't have the mid hump of the TS9, and there are a ton of mods out there for them. Plus, You can pick them up all day for about $50-$60 used.

The reason I prefer it to the TS9x2 setup is the mid-bump-on-mid-bump sound only works if you're working with an already scooped sound (Single coils, fender amps, etc) by filling it out. But if you're using something like a les paul/marshall setup (or anything with humbuckers, imo), it just becomes mud city.

But with the BD2/TS9 setup, you can set the BD2 as a straight up volume boost to goose the front end of the amp and use the mid-bump of the TS9 for when you want to cut through.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^ good point on the dual ts9 thing

the digitech screamin blues is a bd2 clone with a bass control (which is handy) for less money. might also be worth considering if you go down the transparent od route.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a TS9 and a OCD. It's great.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
CMAT MODS signa drive, hermida zendrive, subdecay liquid sunshine mkii, cmat mods butah.

i think stacking any of these with a tubescreamer with yeild a different tone from each pedal, but a good one and definitely bluesey. all are relatively lower gain, are known for natural or bluesy tone, and have fairly good output for driving the line.

owning the signa myself i would say that it probably has less "character" and the others i mentioned, but a good natural grit tone, touch sensitive, and have 3 modes to play with, so 3 different characters to stack against. i pretty much use it as a dirty boost going into a breaking up preamp to get a good crunch tone.

i would say timmy but the lack of availability is almost pointless to suggest one.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Plenty of people build Timmies. Mine is one I built myself. Drop into the pedalboard thread, somebody there should be able to sell you one. Tim or Matt maybe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like stacking two ts9 pedals together, but I agree that it's only for a specific purpose. I'll second the BD2 suggestion, when I use the two I use the BD as the main sound and then the TS for the boost, it's a nice balance. I never thought the BD made for a very good clean boost but to be honest I've only tried it once or twice, so it might work out for you.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I have a weird set up where I run my Lead on my DSL just how I like it so that a ts9 in front makes my lead sound perfect. Then I run put a OCD inbetween the two, lowish level, low gain, and turn that on for my main rhythm sound. Turn it off for my lead sound, so its like bringing down the signal with a volume pedal, but I get some added distortion. I Just raise the level when I need to play into a house amp, and stack the two pedals. They work well together, but in my opinion it takes some heavy dialing in to get the OCD to sound less like a pedal and more like an amp.

In summation the two pedals work very well together.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Mephaphil
I use a TS9 and a OCD. It's great.

^same. The OCD is versatile enough to be used as a low gain or high gain allowing it to work around the TS9 however you want to use it.
I've been using an 808 modified TS9 with a Fulltone Full drive 2 for a decade now. The Fulltone has a tremendous bite and saturates nicely or can be really articulate depending on the setting. I set the TS9 to a warm gain to round out the low end.
Quote by Patrick Condon
I've been using an 808 modified TS9 with a Fulltone Full drive 2 for a decade now. The Fulltone has a tremendous bite and saturates nicely or can be really articulate depending on the setting. I set the TS9 to a warm gain to round out the low end.

Welcome to UG

No one has posted in this thread in over a month and a half. Usually, if a thread is that old we just let it go. I would have maybe just sent the TS a PM with your findings.

So unless the TS comes back to update us on what they decided, I say we just let this sucker ride off into the sunset OK?

Thanks,
boss sd-1. it's a tubescreamer derivative (or the tubescreamer is an sd-1 derivative, i forget which), but with asymmetrical clipping, as opposed to the smoother symmetrical clipping of the tubescreamer. gives you a rougher and grainier overdrive.

however if you're specifically looking for something to stack with your tubescreamer, definitely the paul c timmy.
What I do personally is stack my TS-9 with my Bad Monkey. I use the Bad Monkey for a clean boost and the TS for higher gain stuff. I rarely do this and prefer to just use my TS but just an idea.

BTW Kenny Wayne uses an Analog Man King of Tone. One channel he uses for a solo boost and another for regular constant gain. He also uses a TS-9 for some stuff along with this setup too. This is live we're talking too, he uses a lot of different stuff in the studio.
I stack a GFS Greenie (ts-9/808) clone and a Digitech Bad Monkey and it sounds good to me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Honestly I didn't read the entire thread but I firmly believe every guitarist should own a timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you want something a little different, try a Walrus Mayflower. It has a similar control layout to a Timmy, but it has a bit of it's own thing going on. It also seems to have more gain range to my ears, as a Timmy can get a little splatty with the gain up. You can also look into the Walrus Voyager. It's very Klon-like.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I have a Maxon OD9 and I love it. I've been trying to move towards a cleaner sound (especially with my band to cut through the mix) and I often just have the Maxon on and no other dirt pedals.

Having said that, I know a guy who stacks a TS9 with a hand-built OD and he loves the tone. Its a little crisper than mine and has a nice, thick sound. One thing to keep in consideration is your other pedal's footswitch... if you plan on stomping on both at the same time you'll want to be able to easily turn both on with one stomp. Otherwise you might need to do some fancy footwork. I mention this because my Maxon's switch is a little odd, you kind of have to kick it in a bit when you stomp on it to get it to turn on (and I believe that is common with all Maxon OD9s). Even now, after having it for over a year, I sometimes miss it when trying to turn it on...