I saw this video the other day. Vi Hart is so amazing. This video totally blew my mind and gave me a new appreciation for serialism and all that.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
I had a feeling it would be this video before I clicked the thread... Amazing.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
FInally got around to watching this.

Obviously I already like serialism and 20th/21st century music, but that was fantastic.

I want to know if the line, "Being art isn't the property of a thing, but how we perceive that thing" is like a quote or if she came up with that, because I absolutely love that.
Liked the humor of it all... (i stopped around 20min, the ending of the 4 part Mary Had a Little Lamb just ruined it for me... she had 2 really REALLY nice chords in there, and they just didn't resolve correctly in favor of atonality.) but I still hate serialism and probably always will.
Quote by Erc
(i stopped around 20min, the ending of the 4 part Mary Had a Little Lamb just ruined it for me... she had 2 really REALLY nice chords in there, and they just didn't resolve correctly in favor of atonality.)

That was kind of EXACTLY the point.
well i know that. it still sounded like shit imo >_<

EDIT --> If she had just ditched the rules just for a moment in favor of the ear, well I would have called her a genius. Unfortunately, it is mostly an educational video, so that probably would have been inappropriate. But whatever, I like laser bat.
Last edited by Erc at Jul 4, 2013,
Quote by Erc
well i know that. it still sounded like shit imo >_<

so does serialism
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I still think schoenberg is the only serialist that actually doesn't suck. But Berg's earlier tonal/post-romantic work is pretty interesting.
I quite enjoy Schoenberg's string quartet no. 3. The opening phrase is sexy to me. I don't know music terms but I like it.
Quote by macashmack
I quite enjoy Schoenberg's string quartet no. 3. The opening phrase is sexy to me. I don't know music terms but I like it.

That's a really magnificent piece.

Quote by Erc
I still think schoenberg is the only serialist that I, in my very personal opinion which is shared by few, actually like. But Berg's earlier tonal/post-romantic work is pretty interesting.

Fixed.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jul 4, 2013,