Hello everyone, I've been really interested in buying an Epiphone Goth '58, but I read negative comments about it because of its weight and that you can't "shred" or play stuff like that on it because it's heavy... is it true?

Apart from that, I've also had a hit on Fender Strats mainly because they can play mostly anything, and, I personally like classical music so I love playing Yngwie Malmsteen stuff (I think it's called neo-classical metal?)... this is why I'm also thinking of getting a MIM Standard (IF I can't find any used USA's for less than $1000) and plucking a set of YJM Seymour single coils (the tone is HOT)(not with my sh***y amp tho :/ ). Note that I also play alot of blues on Clean channel, and like to use my electric guitar like an acoustic guitar sometimes, so the Clean tone is important for me

What would you suggest?
Last edited by bassem.b.bousta at Jun 30, 2013,
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
Hello everyone, I've been really interested in buying an Epiphone Goth '58, but I read negative comments about it because of its weight and that you can't "shred" or play stuff like that on it because it's heavy... is it true?

lolnope. Explorers are generally heavier guitars than most because of their physical size, but just because they weigh a fair bit does not make them unable to play shred. Its nonsense.
Apart from that, I've also had a hit on Fender Strats mainly because they can play mostly anything, and, I personally like classical music so I love playing Yngwie Malmsteen stuff (I think it's called neo-classical metal?)... this is why I'm also thinking of getting a MIM Standard (IF I can't find any used USA's for less than $1000) and plucking a set of YJM Seymour single coils (the tone is HOT)(not with my sh***y amp tho :/ ). Note that I also play alot of blues on Clean channel, and like to use my electric guitar like an acoustic guitar sometimes, so the Clean tone is important for me

What would you suggest?

It depends. An Explorer compared to a Strat is like comparing a battleship to a unicycle. If you're torn between two completely different kinds of guitar, then you need to go out there and play whatever types of guitar you can until you're set on a certain kind. Then go on from there.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 30, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It depends. An Explorer compared to a Strat is like comparing a battleship to a unicycle. If you're torn between two completely different kinds of guitar, then you need to go out there and play whatever types of guitar you can until you're set on a certain kind. Then go on from there.

I assumed that yes :p Another problem in the Goth is that it hasn't got a coil-split for single coil :/
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
I assumed that yes :p Another problem in the Goth is that it hasn't got a coil-split for single coil :/

I personally don't care for them anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee