I've been having some pickup related volume issues with my Explorer as of late. Nothing's happened to the guitar to cause this issue and I can't figure it out. The electronics haven't been touched (until I tried today to no effect).

The problem is that the neck pickup in my Explorer (which has the JB/Jazz combo) has started producing very low volume as of recent. It sounds like the volume control is set to 1/10.

Electronics figuration is a 2 volume 1 tone. Tone being a push/pull which functions fine. The pickup's not stuck in single coil mode, as you can still hear the change.

My first instinct was to get my multimeter and check the pickup hadn't died, so I measured it's resistance and it matches up to the SD website description. From there I've noticed cold solder joints and re-done them to a better standard. No difference yet. I checked the pickup selector which was immaculate and had no solder problems at all or hot's touching grounds.

I don't know where to go from here. The bridge pickup sounds perfect! But going to the neck pickup sounds like you've just removed almost every ounce of output the guitar can make.

Help!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by danvwman
bad volume pot?

Whilst writing out his post, it was my next area of concern, and thought it might come up. I have no idea how to check though. I know if it's a bad pot, it's gonna be the neck volume because the bridge isn't affected by changes in the tone control (it works but the bridge hasn't suffered any volume loss)

If anyone has any idea how to check, that'd be great. I have a multimeter, and I know all 3 pots are 500k.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
If someone could close this thread. The cold cable came loose from being on ground. I'm sure it wasn't unattached before and it was one of the cold joints I remade when trying to fix, but I've done it again and it's fixed

/thread (please close this, I feel silly now)
I wouldn't normally resurrect a thread like this. However I'm having the problems again. Only this time I've completely re-wired the guitar. I took all the connections off and put them back together, but with more solid connections and neater (imo haha) and I'm getting the same problem.

With my multimeter, measuring across the neck volume pot from the ground lug and middle lug (with volume all the way up) gives me just under 500M ohm resistance. The two outer lugs either give me "0.L" (which I think means no load to my multimeter, not sure) or 7.27k. That sounds about right for the output of a Jazz neck pickup.

Measuring over the bridge volume pot, I get about 16.1k from either doing the two outer lugs, or the middle and ground lugs. That sounds about right for the output of a JB bridge pickup.

Absolutely baffled again guys. All my connections are solid, everything's connected. What do?
Quote by diabolical
Check your connections and soldering. I find gator clips with two ended grips come in handy so I can test my ideas before I solder or bypass everything and go to the input jack when in doubt about a pickup or pot.

Quote by diabolical
Do you have any resistors? Might want to check them and their soldering.

I've checked and double checked my connections and soldering. It's all solid, like I say. I even rewired the entire thing to make sure I know everything can be as neat as I'm able to make it and stop anything from lifting. I don't have any gator (I think we call them crocodile in the UK) clips on my multimeter, just pointed + and - and can get a reading with a steady hand.

Haven't got any resistors. Just a capacitor on the master tone.
Care to post a picture of your wiring? Sometimes it's easy to solder two wires in the wrong place. The other would be, how's the pickup height? If it's bottomed out in the body it's going to sound weak
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93596882@N02/

Here are pictures. Should be top 5, let me know if that link doesn't work.

The 4 conductor wiring from the neck pickup wasn't long enough to get to the tone push/pull so I extended them with black wires. black and green are connected to those, red on hot and white+bare to ground (reverse coil split so I get to the coil closer to neck). The bridge is normal coil split so the red and white are to the push/pull with the black being hot and green+bare going to ground.

The large grey cable goes to the pickup selector. Green cable goes to bridge lug, red cable goes to neck lug and the white cable goes is the hot and on the tone control. It also has a ground which is connected.

Edit: Oh and the pickup height is at about 7/64ths from the bass side on the neck pickup, and 6/64ths from the bass side on the bridge pickup. Pickups are level so it's 1/64th less on the treble side.
Last edited by Lavatain at Aug 11, 2013,
Over night I've done nothing to the wiring, though coming back to it now I'm getting absolutely no output. It just buzzes with a slight bit of sound as if a hot's touching a ground somewhere. I see nothing of the sort. Touching the bridge pot anywhere makes the buzzing louder and touching the tone pot anywhere takes the buzzing away. Still get nearly no output though when I strum the strings.

I should mention that before completely wiring the guitar yesterday and changing the string I was having the problem of absolutely no signal coming through after opening up the back where I was getting nothing from the neck pickup before that.
Have you double checked your input wiring? That could be shorting out or have a broken connection.
Quote by D_M_I
Have you double checked your input wiring? That could be shorting out or have a broken connection.

Take a look at the pictures and tell me, nothing's changed. I've done nothing to it and it's still the same. Everything looks how it should be to my eyes.

Edit: I've added a cable to connect the ground points between the bridge and tone pots and that gives me a fully working bridge pickup now. Neck pickup still the problem, trying another ground connection.
Last edited by Lavatain at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by Lavatain
Take a look at the pictures and tell me, nothing's changed. I've done nothing to it and it's still the same. Everything looks how it should be to my eyes.

Edit: I've added a cable to connect the ground points between the bridge and tone pots and that gives me a fully working bridge pickup now. Neck pickup still the problem, trying another ground connection.

I don't see your input in the pics. That's why I asked. It seems it's not the issue either way.

Although, you could have a ground going from the input to the bridge, but not from the input to the pots.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by D_M_I
I don't see your input in the pics. That's why I asked. It seems it's not the issue either way.

Although, you could have a ground going from the input to the bridge, but not from the input to the pots.

Ya, it's not the problem, bridge pickup still works. The bridge ground goes straight to the neck pot, which has a ground connection to the tone. Tone has a ground connection to the bridge, and the bridge has a ground connection to the pickup selector.

I desoldered and resoldered the red neck pickup cable, which is my hot in the way I am wiring it, and it was working, I was playing then after 5 seconds it slowly died. I think the problem lies there but I don't see it making any connections to any grounds. I'm gonna keep trying to resolder it till it works I think, remove any excess solder and make it perfect. Thoughts on this? I don't see how something could gradually die after working fine, like I was rolling the volume back, though I wasn't touching it.
Try jumping or de-soldering and connecting the middle black and white wires in Wiring 2. That switch could be your problem.
It was definitely that red wire from the neck pickup that was the problem. Must've been a cold connection. I've fixed it now by unsoldering it and getting some excess solder that was trapped under the lug out of the way. Connected it back up and it's not died again. It's just odd because it was the ground connections that were crap last time I had the problem.

Thanks so much for making suggestions and trying to help. It helped me narrow down the problem even if you didn't see it yourself by making me double check what you could see in pictures. Wiring really ain't my strong point in guitar repairs and such, though it always seems to be my guitars that annoy me, not my friends where they usually just have a broken connection on their output jack haha. Thanks again