I've been looking into the ESP LTD ST-213 Ash/Rosewood strat as a replacement for an Epiphone SG I sold just for a second guitar to compliment my ESP LTD EC-1000 DX but I can't seem to find any retailer (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.) that carries this exact model in a store...was wondering if anyone here at UG has played one and might have any thoughts since I'm really hesitant about buying a guitar without having ever tried it out.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/st-213ashrosewood.html

I've also been looking into the Grestch G5435T Electromatic Pro Jet for something completely different.
Gretsch G5191
Line 6 MK II Tube Designed by Bogner
Last edited by ComeUndone at Jun 30, 2013,
Those are both pretty different...what are you looking for in a 2nd axe?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Those are both pretty different...what are you looking for in a 2nd axe?

I'm not completely sure - all I know is something different than my EC-1000. I was actually looking into the Gretch Pro Jet Electromatic. I test guitars are local guitar stores and then buy my stuff on AmericanMusical.com and they just seriously limited the payment options for that guitar so that may be out.

What I'd like is a guitar that's not a Gibson for sure and isn't a metal guitar. Something with more character. I was really interested in the Gretsch, but money is also a factor. I looked at the Kurt Cobain Fender Jaguar just because of its features and raw sound...but I don't know if it's worth spending that much for a guitar like that and I kind of have a problem buying a $1000 guitar based on a guy who only played cheapo guitars.

I guess I really want something unique and something that's more of a songwriters guitar and can get some nice clean sounds and gritty distortion.
Gretsch G5191
Well, first of all, a different amp might go farther in helping you find new tones- especially cleaner cleans- than a new guitar. I specifically went amp shopping to find a clean that I could then shape with pedals and guitar selections, and found Carvins, Vox, Peavey and Fenders to my liking.

I bought a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo.

While I can't get the tones of the heaviest stuff I listen to- so I'm looking at getting an Orange tube combo- that amp and my pedals let me generate a universe of different sounds.

With all that said, though, well do I understand the desire for a new guitar!

What kind of budget do you have? Are you open to buying used gear? You know- all this kind of info.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 14, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, first of all, a different amp might go farther in helping you find new tones- especially cleaner cleans- than a new guitar. I specifically went amp shopping to find a clean that I could then shape with pedals and guitar selections, and found Carvins, Vox, Peavey and Fenders to my liking.

I bought a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo.

While I can't get the tones of the heaviest stuff I listen to- so I'm looking at getting an Orange tube combo- that amp and my pedals let me generate a universe of different sounds.

With all that said, though, well do I understand the desire for a new guitar!

What kind of budget do you have? Are you open to buying used gear? You know- all this kind of info.

I have a Line 6 Spider Valve Mkii 212 Combo By Bogner with 2 celestion vintage 30s. I love the cab portion of the amp and originally bought it for that reason plus the effects back when I was getting serious with guitar. It's a decent tube amp but as you said as far as defining our own sound, it relies heavily on presets. There are some cool effects on it: chorus, phasing, etc. but unless I'm willing to shell out $300 for a larger pedal board to go with it (I have the FBV Express) I can't switch between banks. Live, it's a nightmare to replicate without going to the amp and changing the banks and knobs myself. It's a great studio amp - but I find myself just using the distortion preset and doing the rest in Guitar Rig 5 because it's such a hassle to recreate the tones. I'd be better of buying $300 worth of pedals instead of a $300 pedal board that just controls the modeling banks. I bought the amp for somewhere around $900-$1000. If I were to trade it in, any idea of what it may be worth?

A guitar player back in high school had a Fender 212R Frontman (I believe that's what it's called) and I always liked it for some odd reason. I'd prefer a combo just because stacks annoy the shit out of me and I don't need to wake up the whole block.
Gretsch G5191
Unfortunately, I'm about as far from an amp guru as here is on these boards. That Fender HRD is my first and only amp so far. In your situation, I'd just look to see what they're selling for online or ask at my local shop.

My personal pedalboard is a thing of insanity, in terms of cost & complexity. Most pros wouldn't bother with what I have, even though they could afford it. Too many pedals, etc. but that's because I'm not trying to refine my own distinctive style and tone. Hell- I can't even honestly say I HAVE a distinctive style or tone. I'm just experimenting & having fun.

That said, my philosophy on pedals is that I don't have time or space for crap, so I try to buy good stuff. Note that this does not necessarily mean expensive.

I mean I try to buy pedals that deliver the effects I want while being dependable and durable.

I also plan to buy this(OW/white), I think that I need Strat-style guitar and this is kinda cheap(299€ on Thomann) and although there's not many reviews they are positive.

How's tone, is this near of original Fender and can you play Surf-style with this if you want?
(I'm metal guy but I've always liked old 50-60's stuff)
Strat-type guitar + Fender amp + Reverb pedal is the basic recipe for surf guitar. Add a good fuzz pedal for spy stuff.

Now, good players have messed with this formula, so there's stuff out there played on guitars with P90s or HBs, and, of course, using amps by other brands as well.