he climate here in Alberta is often way too dry for any guitar, especially an acoustic so I've held off for years on getting one again.
Well, yesterday the Martin DX series caught my eye & ear while wandering through Guitar Works at Cross Iron Mills. I went home and did some research and majority of the reviews were very favourable.
I was torn between the DX all-HPL version (for obvious stability reasons) and the DX1 which has a solid 2 piece Sitka spruce top for slightly more.
Today I went out armed with more info on prices and checked out their all acoustic store which I figured would have a bigger selection.
There were 3 DX1s in stock but all had higher action than the one in the other store, especially up past the 10th fret. Relief was fine so I figured either they were overly humidified or the bridge saddle could come down a tad. While I was thinking on this I asked what Taylors were in stock around that price range $500-600 and was led over to the Model 110. This one just sounded so right to me when strummed and the workmanship and look were amazing for the price ($599). While it had no electronics, it came with a decent softcase which the Martin lacked. I also invested in some Planet Waves Gel packs to protect the guitar from both too much & too little humidity and brought it home.
I've just finished playing for a bit and it sounds wonderful & projects really well. But I also realize how much my fingers have been babied by my LP's over the years on only electric guitars! I'm sure with some regular playing on it I'll get used to it as I originally learned to play guitar on an acoustic (El Degas Dreadnaught).
Anyway a couple of required pics.

Moving on.....
congrats on your new guitar! i quite like the 110, but i do suggest you get a hygrometer, test it and use it. even laminate wood (and the 110 does have a solid top) eventually will give in the excessive dryness.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
congrats on your new guitar! i quite like the 110, but i do suggest you get a hygrometer, test it and use it. even laminate wood (and the 110 does have a solid top) eventually will give in the excessive dryness.

That's why I bought the Gel Packs, they apparently maintain the humidity at 45-48% (absorbing or releasing moisture as required) and are recommended by Taylor specifically. Not cheap though @ $26 for a set.
Moving on.....
mmmm.....pretty.
i have a fairly new appreciation for Taylors. i couldn't get past the too "jangly" sound of my K10ce. then i discovered the GA series and the GS series.
2 GA's and 2 GS' later( ok, 1 GS now, another being built)..... i feel a 110 or a GS mini in my near future.
only thing i would do to that( i have issues with tearin' crap apart) would be to change the tuners.
( BTW, i started with just one also....stay away from the UTGF...evil evil place that forum is)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i wouldn't bet my guitar on them. you can get a hygrometer for $10, test it with table salt and water, and then you'll know. keep in mind that your gigbag isn't waterproof, and the fabric may be absorbent.

Quote by KenG
That's why I bought the Gel Packs, they apparently maintain the humidity at 45-48% (absorbing or releasing moisture as required) and are recommended by Taylor specifically. Not cheap though @ $26 for a set.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Congrats on the purchase of the 110. As an owner of three Taylors, I think you're really going to like it. I also predict more Taylors in your future. I used to be an electric guy, but now I play acoustic about 99% of the time.

Definitely buy a decent electronic hygrothermometer and use it. Patticake is right... I wouldn't trust the gel packs to humidify/dehumidify my guitars. A proper humidifier in the room is the only way to go.