CragDweller
120 IQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62t0Oydb_w

First I'd like to give thanks to whoever made this great backing track of Hey You. It had the vocals, drums and keyboards and I added all the guitars and bass. I then cut the transition between the songs from the cd and blended it into my cover of Is There Anybody Out There?, I also added all the keys behind the guitar as well as the guitar then blended the sound effects from the cd back in and faded out.

This ended up being a lot more complicated to record than I imagined. I also took a break while I upgraded my equipment, so There is a good 6 month gap between the solo and electric guitar bits and the bass and acoustic guitar stuff.

Equipment used:

Egnater Tweaker 40 Head
Randall Iso 12 Iso Cabinet
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Jam
Squier Classic Vibe 50's strat w/ Fender noiseless pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Recording King RD-17
Ibenez TRB2 Bass
Yamaha EZ-200

All through a Behringer X1204USB to Reaper DAW.
Last edited by CragDweller at Jul 1, 2013,
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Well I'm not sure where your from but here in America that video is blocked. So we can't review you...

Roger Waters is an Asshole which is why we can't enjoy your video. Stuff of of the wall belongs to him.
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Kitty! Awww.... (now that that's outta the way).

Your acoustic tone and playing is crisp and clean just like the original. At around 1:45 the acoustic gets lost in the mix. Your bass bend around the 3:45 mark can use some work. I can appreciate the amount of work you did here. Your mixing could be a little better but everything else seems to be fine.

c4c https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1607726

of hey it works now
CragDweller
120 IQ
Now that I listen to that I see what you mean at 1:45. Maybe a move to a different spot in the stereo field would help. I'm using the same guitar for all the acoustic stuff, so I imagine that doesn't help different parts stand out.

My limited knowledge about mixing does hold me back. It's something that I will continue to work on.
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Quote by CragDweller
Now that I listen to that I see what you mean at 1:45. Maybe a move to a different spot in the stereo field would help. I'm using the same guitar for all the acoustic stuff, so I imagine that doesn't help different parts stand out.

My limited knowledge about mixing does hold me back. It's something that I will continue to work on.

The thing you want to do is use a Digital Audio Workstation. I use Reaper (its basically free). You want the levels on your recordings to match up with the audio of the backing track. It sounds more natural. I don't think moving to a different spot is what you need, Just need to match up the volumes so they are even.

Different parts will all stand out if they are clear in the mix. Other than that one section it all sounded good.

Also work on some eq, it may help bring parts to the front of the mix.
CragDweller
120 IQ
I already use reaper, but thanks for all your input trying to help me out.