Page 1 of 2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,517 IQ
I've used Dunlop JazzIIIs for 4 years, lately I've been using a heavy tortex that I scratched grip onto, I think it's kinda better, but I can't play as well in some ways, but better in others and more tonal variation with the rounder tip. Any thoughts about this for those who used both? Strumming is also better with the bigger pick, maybe I'll use two different picks depending on the song...anyone do this?
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,164 IQ
I use Dunlop 2.0 mm picks, and they suit me pretty well.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
moses132049
Tab Contributor
1,292 IQ
i've been using intune 1.14 mm delrin jazz III's for the past 3 years. they've improved my playing dramatically, and i have no plan on using anything else. a lot of people do complain about strumming with such small picks but i have no problem, if anything it should train you to be more exact with your picking.
SISO
267 IQ
Yep, I switched back to dunlops because I realized that in some way my playing was too dependable of the jazzIII and wanted to be confortable with any pick. I also find them better for heavy picking and funk rhythm. Every once and then I play with one of my spare jazzIII, especially if I'm trying to play some Gilbert shred haha
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,558 IQ
i'll always love the regular jazz III shape without a doubt. recently i switched to the ultex jazz IIIs though, they're even better than the nylon ones!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Sickz
Jazz Musician
1,594 IQ
I use regular dunlop picks, 1,20 mm. I like them thicker picks.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,517 IQ
Quote by SISO
Yep, I switched back to dunlops because I realized that in some way my playing was too dependable of the jazzIII and wanted to be confortable with any pick. I also find them better for heavy picking and funk rhythm. Every once and then I play with one of my spare jazzIII, especially if I'm trying to play some Gilbert shred haha

I noticed the cello type sound you can get with a rounded tip angled pick is really nice with gain, as Paul gilbert uses a lot, it can't be done with a JazzIII, well not by me anyways. I can still pick way better with the JazzIII though, so it's hard to get away from it. I can't think of any great famous shredders that use them though, Vai, Gilbert, YM, anyone really seems to use the normal shape, 1-2mm. I don't mind the small size at all, it's more the tip that I like and don't like at the same time. I was just playing using the JazzIII round corner at the top, get that sound a bit too round though, they should make it a bit sharper for 3 different corners.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 1, 2013,
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Use to use the Dunlop Jazz III's 1mm-2mm. Couldn't buy them in packs and got tired of shreading the tips off in a couple of weeks.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Syndromed
French guy
297 IQ
Jazz III forever for me. I tried to change, but I'm more comfortable with the Jazz III.

The best for me.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Used to use Jazz IIIs, switched to the Ultex. Since then, I've started using carbon fiber Jazz IIIs. It's got the same advantages of the standard Jazz III, but it's got a grip texture and they never, ever get dull. I've been using the same one for about a year (I've got the rest of the 12-pack still in the plastic), both picking and chewing on it in between takes, and it's no different from the untouched ones besides a few tooth marks on the grip.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
I used them cause Alexi Laiho used them. Then I tried gator grips and they shit on jizz trees.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution
1,627 IQ
All I've used for the past 10 something years. I even have two picks that i used when I started playing, they're worn for sure, but I still use them. I went through probably 50 picks of medium and thin styles from fender, gibson, and a few other companies, would break them constantly. Guy at the music shop saw me coming in so often for picks and suggested the jazz III...the man deserves a medal lol
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?
2,134 IQ
switched to the XL after using the III exclusively for years
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,229 IQ
I primarily use III's, and a occasional stubby now and then. Still need to check out the carbon and XL versions..
baab
sjones
UG's Analrapist
2,068 IQ
I primarily used Jazz III XL's for the better part of two years, and recently discovered the Dunlop Ultex picks and I've been using them exclusively for the past couple months. They just feel like the perfect fit for my playing style and I love the tonal response from them too.

I started with the .92 Ultex Sharps, which like the Jazz III XL's have a nice point to the tip. About a month ago though, I went to a local shop looking for more Ultex, and they didn't have any Sharps, or .92's! In somewhat of a pinch, I grabbed some standard Ultex 1mm's and they've just fit perfectly! I actually find the standard pick edge, along with the slight increase in thickness, really sounds and feels great when it comes to the Ultex.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
I used III's for a while. I had a lot of trouble because of how small they were. My fingers kept getting scraped on the strings. I switch to the XL's for a while but I've played on Tortex for about a year now.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
I've been using red JazzIIIs for ages now, maybe 4-5 years. There was a period before when I used them and I stopped for a while, I went to really thin Tortexes for at least a couple of years but when I came back to the JazzIIIs it was like I was a whole new player; everything felt incredibly comfortable!

I've seen people change pick for different instruments; John Petrucci (patron saint of the JazzIII) used to use thinner tortex picks for his acoustic passages but now that he has the piezo-loaded EBMM JPs he doesn't bother any more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Blicer
99 IQ
never really liked them actually. I use the giant triangle fender picks X3
SISO
267 IQ
Quote by Tempoe
I noticed the cello type sound you can get with a rounded tip angled pick is really nice with gain, as Paul gilbert uses a lot, it can't be done with a JazzIII, well not by me anyways. I can still pick way better with the JazzIII though, so it's hard to get away from it. I can't think of any great famous shredders that use them though, Vai, Gilbert, YM, anyone really seems to use the normal shape, 1-2mm. I don't mind the small size at all, it's more the tip that I like and don't like at the same time. I was just playing using the JazzIII round corner at the top, get that sound a bit too round though, they should make it a bit sharper for 3 different corners.

Paul Gilbert used to have signature Ibanez picks with the same shape of the Jazz. And John Petrucci use them to.
afatguitarist
185 IQ
I never used the official Jazz III's, but used some planet waves ripoffs, but now I'v come to the point where I don't care what pick I use, I'm not a shredder so any pick works the same for me, though I feel like tortex picks are easier to hold
I'M FAT!!!!
cdgraves
44 IQ
They make a Jazz III with grippy stuff on it now. I picked up a pack and they're decent. Feels a little weird at first.
Fourfourforever
542 IQ
dava picks is were it is at imo check em out when i lose all of my dava picks i go back to the pile of jazz threes though.
Livingtime
544 IQ
I used to use JazzIIIs for a while, but then I found Fender Teardrop-Celluloid picks, don't think i'll ever give those up. Strumming can be dangerous though sometimes since they're rather small (especially in Winter! x_x) for lead playing though, they dominate in my opinion
aerosmithfan95
Tab Contributor
1,075 IQ
I personally never played them. I, for the most part, use Dunlop 1mm Nylon (And a 0.80mm one that I've been using for years) picks since I still have a huge pile around along with some random tortex picks (1mm for most) laying around as well as these chalky, purple Dunlop picks that have an alligator on them.
Skip the username, call me Billy

'13 Fender MIA Stratocaster
'16 Fender Jaguar

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266

Pedals by EHX, Way Huge, and Boss
tasjazz
10 IQ
I use a metro card folded over twice (pick with the corner). It gives a Wes Montgomery thumb type of tone ,(nice punch sound) it's good especially if you're into Jazz. I call it the V pick (because of the shape), check it out!
Facecut
Vorsitzender
323 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
I used them cause Alexi Laiho used them. Then I tried gator grips and they shit on jizz trees.

Now thats what I call a cool story bro.
TV-Casualty
451 IQ
I used jazz 3s for a while. My fingers got all cut up, they were just too small. I use tortex now, but im not picky as long as i have a thin, heavy and bigger-than-a-jazz3-sized pick
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
I bought some carbon fiber Jazz III's.

Sweet Jesus, dat grip. Best picks I've ever used. It just feels right.
Quote by cemges

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Only because I've lost all of mine!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
MaaZeus
431 IQ
Quote by BladeSlinger
I bought some carbon fiber Jazz III's.

Sweet Jesus, dat grip. Best picks I've ever used. It just feels right.

If only Dunlop would get their heads out their asses and made the XL version too. I cant use the small Jazz IIIs, I need normal size picks.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Quote by MaaZeus
If only Dunlop would get their heads out their asses and made the XL version too. I cant use the small Jazz IIIs, I need normal size picks.

I would really enjoy that. I used to use XL's because the normal size was too small. I must have adjusted over time because these are fine.
Quote by cemges

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
louis van wyk
199 IQ
Switched to those thick purple picks called stubby. Its good for alternate picking. Not so much for strumming.
BenEllerGuitars
395 IQ
I used them for a loooong time, but the pick i always come back to is the Pickboy Edge! I love the 1.14 mm ones. Amazing. They're a little bigger than a Jazz III, but smaller than a regular pick, and with a nice point. Love em!