I just got a used Ibanez SDG SR 405 bass with active pickups. I was wondering what kind of batteries should I use and what brand? I know some batteries are good for smoke detectors, some are good for cameras ect.

Thanks in advanced
Batteries for smoke detectors generally have a very lof self discharge rate, meaning they lose very little charge when not in use. A smoke detector generally uses very little power, which is close to the battery being 'not in use'. They are pretty expensive, so you may not want to use it for your axe.
In practice, any battery that you can get at your local hardware store or maybe even supermarket will do, as long as they have the correct voltage. Ni-MH batteries are also an option; they are rechargeable, but they do have a lower charge capacity than normal 9v batteries, and they have a lower voltage (8.4 instead of 9) so you may need to use two of them in series. On the other hand, if you solder a small connection on the battery case and you have a charger handy, you can make your entire bass rechargeable...
Any decent brand like Duracell will do, I advise against cheap supermarket own brand batteries, bassist in my band buys Aldi own brand batteries (Cheap supermarket brand) and they only last a few hours. Certainly not what you want if you're gigging or at a band practice
I used an Active bass in my last band. I bought store brand 9-volts from Walgreen's, a drug store chain in the states. A pack of 10 was less than 2 energizers. Never had a problem. Unless you count the rest of the band poaching my batteries for their wireless systems and tuners.
As long as you get alkalines, you will be fine.
Quote by AJScott
Any decent brand like Duracell will do, I advise against cheap supermarket own brand batteries, bassist in my band buys Aldi own brand batteries (Cheap supermarket brand) and they only last a few hours. Certainly not what you want if you're gigging or at a band practice

If they last only a few hours, I think there's something wrong with his bass.
i picked up 20 duracells for like £7.50 a while back while amazon was having a clear out.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I might as well try an alkaline for now. I just wanted a fresh battery for the gig I got in a couple weeks. (I wasn't sure if alkaline was what I need specifically) But I do like the idea of a rechargeable bass
Duracell is usually solid for pedals and active instruments. Avoid rechargable batteries though--most manufacturers advise against using htem.
What I would do is get a pit job for a high school musical or something and ask what they do with the wireless mics batteries at the end of the night. Chances are, they throw them out since they're half-juiced and they dont want them to go out during the show. I played one show 4 years ago and got about 100 9v's for free from 2 nights dress rehearsal and 4 performances and still have more than half of them today.

In short, you can get them for free and you dont have to worry about buying them so life isn't an issue.
Hell, you'll have so many, you can change them right before you perform every night and you'll still have plenty.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Jul 2, 2013,
As long as you remember to take the plug off your bass after you stop practicing or your gig ends, one battery should last at least half a year.
You don't need a new one for every gig. Just remember to carry one with you in case it does dry out
Duracell Procells. In europe they're available at most music shops.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I'm sure batteries will last a long time in your bass. We had two active Ibanez basses in our school and they worked a long time without battery changes. Just don't worry about it too much. They will last for a long time. And if you want to be sure that you don't run out of power, just change your batteries before gig. I also have a chorus pedal and it has had the same battery in it for over a year (though I haven't used it a lot and have usually used a power supply). Just remember to unplug your bass any time you don't play.

And battery brands? Are you serious? Any brand will do it. I think you are over thinking a bit. I mean, I kind of understand threads that ask about strings. But batteries... come on. Batteries are cheap, just buy Duracell, it's a well known brand. And yeah, I have bad experiences with rechargeable. They just don't last that long.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115