What up, bassmonkeys of UG?

Just a quick question here that I can't seem to get answered anywhere.

I own a BTB675 with Bartolini MKII pickups. They sound lovely, but there's one thing bugging me: What the heck is their output level?!
They are pickups with an active pre-amp attached, but to me it seems that when I set the EQ flat (no cuts or boosts) the output level should be similar to that of a passive pickup. But I'm just not entirely shure on this. Haven't been able to find any confirmation on this, one way or another.

I haaave noticed though that using the active bass settings on say my Deluxe Bass Big Muff makes it so that my bass disappears completely, even with hardly any Muff blended in. This to me is evidence that the pickups have the output level of passives when not actively using the EQ. Also the fact that using the active input on my 500w Hartke or any amp doesn't sound like I'm getting the full watts available makes me question this.

On top of that I've heard it's possible to directly wire the Barts to your volume. This all kind of implies they're actually passives.

Am I wrong?

Sorry for the awkward phrasing, hastily typing on my phone before it randomly reboots again!
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Last edited by KoRnOnA6String at Jul 1, 2013,
They're passive pickups. Passive pickups with an active preamp (eq) is a very common setup for bass.

I can't help you on the actual output, but the are in fact passive pups.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I knew about that being a common combination for bass and the pups likely being passive. That to me though sounds like "When not using the EQ their level should be equal to that of regular passives" as the pups themselves are passive. The only pups for bass I know of where the pups themselves are active are EMGs. I'll try the passive input carefully, see what it does, hah
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.