My 4x12 cab has the option to run 200-Watt, 16-Ohm mono or 2 x 100-Watt, 8-Ohm stereo operation.

My head is switchable from 4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm.

Now, I understand what these options mean. I'm currently running at 8ohm "stereo."

What should I be running at?

Will running 16ohm mono vs 8ohm stero impact tone?
You want to run your head in mono, so that all 4 speakers are working at the same time. Running stereo splits the cab in half so you're effectively running two 2x12s.

If you're only using one speaker cable then you're only using half of the cab's speakers. Running two cables from the same amp into a stereo cab will sound no different to using one cable in mono. All that does is complicate things.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
What cab is it, what head do you have? You should always match your head.

I don't think you can choose between mono and stereo and choose what ohms you want to run at - mono vs stereo operation in itself means that you're going to have a different ohm rating depending on what mode you're in. They can't be the same, unless there's some kind of computer inside changing how the signals are being routed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The cab has a switch, so I assume it is 4 x 16 Ohm speakers wired series/paralell?

16ohm mono uses one cable.
8ohm stereo uses two cables.

I am running 2 cables, 8ohms per side. So really, pulling one cable out and flipping the switch to 16ohm would be no different than what I am doing, I'll just have one less cable to deal with, correct?

No need for bashing, because I have heard it already, and don't care to head it again. I obviously have a different opinion than most of you, and LOVE my setup.

It is a Bugera 333xl Infinium head, with Bugera 412h-BK cab.
Quote by psrj32
My 4x12 cab has the option to run 200-Watt, 16-Ohm mono or 2 x 100-Watt, 8-Ohm stereo operation.

My head is switchable from 4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm.

Now, I understand what these options mean. I'm currently running at 8ohm "stereo."

What should I be running at?

Will running 16ohm mono vs 8ohm stero impact tone?

If you use the 16 ohm mono input you use the 16 ohm setting on your amp.

If you use the 8 ohm stereo inputs you will run your amp at 4 ohms and plug a jack into each input. Or you can run 2 amps at once 1 into the left 8 ohm input and 1 into the right 8 ohm input (both amps will be set to 8 ohms)

Like was already said, just use the 16 ohm option.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I understand that. The next question wasn't answered as to WHY "just use the 16 ohm option."

Is there any reason this is better to do? Or is this just what you prefer, and why?

Also, the 2 out put jacks on my head are not labeled directly. It does say "jacks paralelled." SO, I have been running my amp at 8 omhs, using BOTH output jackso to my cab at 8 ohms.

Is this correct, or as stated above, should the amp be set at 4 ohm to use 2 cables into the 8 ohm cab?

If I DO run 16ohm, I only use one cable, correct? Which output jack does this one cable go in? Does it matter?
Last edited by psrj32 at Jul 2, 2013,
Stupid quesstion. I guess if the jacks are in paralell, the same thing is coming out of both. So FINALLY (sorry for all the trouble) just to clarify

If running the head at 16 ohm, ONE speaker cable runs from either output jack into the 16ohm cab.
Quote by Offworld92
What cab is it, what head do you have? You should always match your head.

I don't think you can choose between mono and stereo and choose what ohms you want to run at - mono vs stereo operation in itself means that you're going to have a different ohm rating depending on what mode you're in. They can't be the same, unless there's some kind of computer inside changing how the signals are being routed.

Correct. I believe what Robb is saying is correct. Some amps have different output jacks already for different impedance operations. I don't know about the 333x but I think Robb owns/owned one. I am assuming it has two unlabeled jacks and a one impedance switch for 4, 8, and 16.

So if you run each side of the cab into each of the output jacks then it makes sense that you would set the impedance on the amp to 4 since the amp would see both of those 8 ohm connects in parallel.

Personally, I'd get in contact with Bugera and double check with them.

TS (everyone) - anytime you create a thread like this it is important to mention what amp and cab it is out of the gate and maybe even take some pictures or refer to the user manual. It cuts out on the guess work. Not all amps are set up the same.

Quote by psrj32
I understand that. The next question wasn't answered as to WHY "just use the 16 ohm option."

Is there any reason this is better to do? Or is this just what you prefer, and why?

Also, the 2 out put jacks on my head are not labeled directly. It does say "jacks paralelled." SO, I have been running my amp at 8 omhs, using BOTH output jackso to my cab at 8 ohms.

Is this correct, or as stated above, should the amp be set at 4 ohm to use 2 cables into the 8 ohm cab?

If I DO run 16ohm, I only use one cable, correct? Which output jack does this one cable go in? Does it matter?

This is just an opinion, but using 1 cable and a 16 ohm mono cab should be more efficient. Unless you're introducing some post power section effect, separating 2 cabs with distance or using 2 amp heads there really is no point in doing what you are doing.

Generally speaking you want to use the output jack that is closest to the output transformer - but either should work fine (for mono).

Quote by psrj32
Stupid quesstion. I guess if the jacks are in paralell, the same thing is coming out of both. So FINALLY (sorry for all the trouble) just to clarify

If running the head at 16 ohm, ONE speaker cable runs from either output jack into the 16ohm cab.

If your question is 'can I use either output jack' then the answer is yes. (see above)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 2, 2013,
Yes 311 is correct I own a Bugera 333. basically follow what he or I said and you will be fine.

The reason we say run in 16 ohm mono is it is a very easy way to do it with less cables.

Yes the 2 output jacks on the back of the amp you can use either for mono operation of 16,8,4 ohms, just make sure the ohms switch is in the correct setting for what you want.

If you want to run the cab like it is stereo then put the selector switch in the 4 ohm setting or you will/can destroy the OT of the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by psrj32
Psh, who needs transformers in an amp, anyway. (-;

Thank you Robbgnarly.

Your welcome.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
mono will probably sound better since you're using all the speakers.

what do you mean by "head only has one setting"? do you mean it can only be set to 4 ohms? if so you need a 4 ohm speaker cabinet, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Marshall 410H 100 watt tube head with the following setup
1X4 ohm or 2X8 ohm outputs.
1X8 ohm or 2X16 ohm outputs
1X16 ohm output

I have a 1936 150 Watt with celestian 2X12, 75 watt speakers.\
2 inputs listed as 8 ohm mono and 16 ohm stereo, but no switch for going from mono to stereo

I have 2 speaker cables.

What is the best setup for that?
Last edited by tomandrews22 at Sep 2, 2015,
Quote by tomandrews22
I have a Marshall 410H 100 watt tube head with the following setup
1X4 ohm or 2X8 ohm outputs.
1X8 ohm or 2X16 ohm outputs
1X16 ohm output

I have a 1936 150 Watt with celestian 2X12, 75 watt speakers.\
2 inputs listed as 8 ohm mono and 16 ohm stereo, but no switch for going from mono to stereo

I have 2 speaker cables.

What is the best setup for that?

plug the cable from one 8ohm output of the amp into the input under the 8ohm input on the jack plate, keep the other speaker cable as a spare
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

First thing to remember is that if you don't have a stereo amp, you don't use the stereo inputs.

Then print out Robb's ^^^^ post and paste it to the back of the cabinet so you don't forget.