OK, so I'm looking for a decent mini multi effect unit to sit at the end of my pedalboard and provide me with all the effects I hardly ever use (mostly modulations, but maybe occasional delay). I have all the main pedals I need (see sig), but want some quality extras to play with from time to time - this will probably replace the Marshall RG-1 & maybe the Boss AC-2 I currently have on my board.

From random web-shopping, I've narrowed it down to these two options, but other suggestions will be gratefully considered. Must be no bigger than a couple of normal pedals and must be able to work as standalone effects, not just patches & sims. I also consider tap-tempo to be a must have for delay effects.

Here are my main thoughts on them so far....
Zoom G3 - Definitely prefer this layout with the 3 separate stompboxes. Seems like it'll be easy to use & as I like using standalone pedals it would fit well with the way I like to work.

Line 6 M5 - Highly recommended around these parts, but for me it's a less desirable layout than the Zoom. Main selling point to me is the talkbox model (I've always loved that sound, but aside from the Danelectro Free Speech they're all unusable for practicing at home).

Budget - around £100ish
Home/Gig - Both
Location - UK
Used/New - Either, probably used.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have both and find the G3 more useful. The M5 has a clunky interface and can only do one affect at a time.
I prefer the M5 for the quality of the FX it has. The zoom will have more available at once, but the tone is compromised.

I have been thinking about getting an M5 for the reasons you are looking. But the 1 pedal at a time made me start thinking about the 1 at a time interface. I can get by with only 1 at a time so it was easy for me come to that answer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fly135: Have to admit, the three pedal thing is a big selling point to me. As you have both, discounting the interface how do you find the quality of the actual effects compared to each other? Do you agree with Robbgnarly that the Line 6's effects are significantly better? (Bear in mind I'd mainly want phase & chorus and I'm currently using a Marshall RG-1 Regenerator for those, which is average at best).

Also, do you have a recording of the talkbox model in the M5? (Or can you do a quick demo?).
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The M5 effects are a bunch better but as has been said the layout sucks. If you can get a used M9 or M13 that would be way to go. You might be surprised at how cheap they are used, I got my M13 for 250.
No room on the board for the 9 or 13. If I was switching back to a multi as my main effect, I'd definitely consider them, but as I just want this for the optional extra that I use from time to time something that big would be serious overkill.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gary, the difference in the FX quality isn't that big a deal to me. But I would probably give the M5 the edge on FX quality. Not enough for me to choose the M5 though.

Maybe you should consider the MS50G. It can do up to six FX per preset and is the same size as a std Boss pedal.
Not so sure about that - I can't help thinking that it would be even less convenient than the M5 as it has only a single footswitch to control everything with & obviously has a lot less options to play with.

Have to admit, even though the G3 is probably still favourite of those two options, as I'm still undecided the sensible part of me is thinking 'get neither'. Despite the fact that I have the money lying around doing nothing else at the moment it's not an urgently needed purchase - it would just sit at the end of my pedalboard & provide a toy for occasional experimentation.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Clay-man
Aren't the M series basically POD HDs without the amp modeling?

As far as I know there are. That said look for the right one and hunt her down
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Clay-man
Aren't the M series basically POD HDs without the amp modeling?

As far as I know there are. That said look for the right one. I would go for the m9 though
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
As far as I know there are. That said look for the right one. I would go for the m9 though

Like I said earlier, this is just something to sit at the end of my effect chain & provide occasional extras, it's not going to be my main source of effects. The M9 would be serious overkill.

Also, I don't need the amp sims - I use a real amp and have no desire to simulate a fake one.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Like I said earlier, this is just something to sit at the end of my effect chain & provide occasional extras, it's not going to be my main source of effects. The M9 would be serious overkill.

Also, I don't need the amp sims - I use a real amp and have no desire to simulate a fake one.

I do agree it is overkill. But sometimes its nice not bringing the whole pedal board, and have everything in presets..

I have several amps, and i rarely use pedals. However i do have an ambient rig with most of my pedals there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Make room for an M9...

Then buy mine

Absolutely amazing pedal. Just surplus to requirement for my current project
I'll no doubt regret selling it in the future.

Also, the talkbox patch is surprisingly useful. You can set the opening and closing vowel, speed etc etc
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
The M9 is only about an inch bigger than the G3.
They both can have 3 effects at the same time.
If the M9 is overkill, then so is the G3.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The M9 is only about an inch bigger than the G3.
They both can have 3 effects at the same time.
If the M9 is overkill, then so is the G3.

+1 again. the limitations of the M5 are so low it really isn't worth having and pick up a delay that you can get set up for more of a chous/vibrato effect. or the M9 which would be best by far.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Have to admit, I haven't actually checked the dimensions of anything beyond seeing pictures and thinking "that looks small" or "that looks big" - but when size is considered as the main deciding factor the M5 (or even the MS50G!) becomes favourite as space is limited.

However, it's definitely looking like the M series has a lot more fans the the G3 (thought there might have been more of an even split), so I'll keep watching out for them on ebay and see what comes up.

Quote by MickAlmighty
Also, the talkbox patch is surprisingly useful. You can set the opening and closing vowel, speed etc etc

Any chance you could post a demo video/recording of it? So far the only song I'd need it for is Carolina by Slash, so if it gets somewhere close to that sound it could well be the deciding factor....
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'll see what I can do... Can't promise anything
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...