Poll: Should I give my band the longest set length?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I give my band the longest set length?
Yes, you deserve it
4 13%
No, be fair. Just cause you did the work doesn't mean other bands should pay
24 75%
I don't care. You really shouldn't have asked The Pit this question
4 13%
Voters: 32.
Page 1 of 2
Although I should refrain from asking The Pit an opinion, I'm going for it anyways cuz I need to ask people who won't be at the Festival I'm throwing

Anyways, not much goes on in my town and I hear how all the kids my age (16-19 years old) complain that there's nothing to do. So, I had an idea to get a Music festival organized at my town's big-ass park. Basically, it's gonna be from noon to 9:30pm (the park closes at 10) and I'm planning on letting the band have at least a 1-hour set, hopefully a 90-minute set!
Anyways, I'm doing all the work for this festival. This includes the budget, getting materials, finding the bands, organizing set times, advertising, etc.
That being said, would it be unethical to allocate my band the largest time slot? I mean, I kind of deserve it, right? Or, should I just be fair and give everyone the same time slot?
funny, im trying to set up a festival myself this summer.

give everyone the same time slot. it's rather a douche move to take the biggest time-slot yourself.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Book The Rolling Stones
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Although I should refrain from asking The Pit an opinion, I'm going for it anyways cuz I need to ask people who won't be at the Festival I'm throwing

Anyways, not much goes on in my town and I hear how all the kids my age (16-19 years old) complain that there's nothing to do. So, I had an idea to get a Music festival organized at my town's big-ass park. Basically, it's gonna be from noon to 9:30pm (the park closes at 10) and I'm planning on letting the band have at least a 1-hour set, hopefully a 90-minute set!
Anyways, I'm doing all the work for this festival. This includes the budget, getting materials, finding the bands, organizing set times, advertising, etc.
That being said, would it be unethical to allocate my band the largest time slot? I mean, I kind of deserve it, right? Or, should I just be fair and give everyone the same time slot?

Don't be a bag of dicks.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
funny, im trying to set up a festival myself this summer.

give everyone the same time slot. it's rather a douche move to take the biggest time-slot yourself.

Nice man! Good luck, it's a good amount of work!
But thats exactly what I was thinking. There's a devil and an angel on my shoulders and I don't know who to listen to haha
And the Arctic Monkeys.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

No.

It's supposed to be a music festival, not a YOU festival.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
But the devil on my left shoulder is saying if it weren't for me, there would be no festival!
Then the angel on my right shoulder is saying "don't be a dick, dude"
Yes, it is unethical.

Looking at it from a more pragmatic POV, if you give yourself the largest time slot, other people will see through it and realize that you're a selfish ****.
Quote by SunshineMusicO
But the devil on my left shoulder is saying if it weren't for me, there would be no festival!
Then the angel on my right shoulder is saying "don't be a dick, dude"

Why don't you just sit on a podium in front of people and have a wank? It's nearly the same thing.
Quote by SunshineMusicO

So...? Stop acting like you're doing some great work of charity. YOU want to put on a festival.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Do it.

If you want your festival to be a complete failure, to alienate yourself from the local scene and generally gain a local reputation of being an utter douche.
I'm going to be blunt: TS, you sound like a real c-unt.

C-unt.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by guitarist41
No.

It's supposed to be a music festival, not a YOU festival.

Why not, Metallica did it at their festival, even worse they made up a fake band on one of the smaller stages so they could go play another set, then everyone left the other stages and probably leaving the other bands onstage feeling like crap. lol.
Ok, well, I agree with many of your points, and as I expected, y'all were harsh
BUT! I was just thinking:

I work hard, I should get something for it. How about instead of a longer set, I put myself at a better timeslot?
If you all think this is a dick move as well, then I must not know how to think ethically. I want reward for my hard work, and the time slot seems like the best option

So, I'll keep the set legnths the same. But as for the order, I'm putting my band at my personal favorite time. Dick move?
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Ok, well, I agree with many of your points, and as I expected, y'all were harsh
BUT! I was just thinking:

I work hard, I should get something for it. How about instead of a longer set, I put myself at a better timeslot?
If you all think this is a dick move as well, then I must not know how to think ethically. I want reward for my hard work, and the time slot seems like the best option

So, I'll keep the set legnths the same. But as for the order, I'm putting my band at my personal favorite time. Dick move?

Put your band in the timeslot you genuinely believe they would get on any other festival. How popular is your band compared to the other bands that are going to be playing?
Quote by neidnarb11890
Did you had an epiphany with Jim Morrison?
Get Aerosmith and your pretty famous girlfriend won't dump you for Christopher Walken
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
Quote by guitarist41
I'm going to be blunt: TS, you sound like a real c-unt.

C-unt.

Ouch, man.
Listen, I'm happy to be doing this, I really am. Music is a beautiful thing, and I'm getting people together for a day of peace and music and hopefully dancing. The concert is completely free. I'm going to be losing money. And you're calling me a c-unt. Damn dude, I'd look in the mirror and say that ahahah
Even people who work for NPOs want to be rewarded for their work, and they do! It's only just.

And as for the budget, I'm not entirely sure yet. No less than $200 at the moment.
I'm thinking of selling hotdogs and hamburgers to pay for the other bands' travel expenses.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Why not, Metallica did it at their festival, even worse they made up a fake band on one of the smaller stages so they could go play another set, then everyone left the other stages and probably leaving the other bands onstage feeling like crap. lol.

That's different. Metallica are huge, and thousands of people really want to see them play for as long as possible.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by manualex
Did you had an epiphany with Jim Morrison?
Get Aerosmith and your pretty famous girlfriend won't dump you for Christopher Walken

Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by guitarist41

That movie sucked so much
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
All of the bands are local. None of them are big, but most all of them are very very very good. My band is probably the second most-popular out of all the bands performing
Lemme guess, you're gonna say "then get the second best time slot"
Give bands set lengths in terms of how big they are, which obviously should also define when they play during the day.

But some (even) smaller bands probably wouldn't like having longarse set times, they probably wouldn't have enough material for it or whatever, or people would just get bored.

But don't biasly favouritise yourself. Not too much.
How about you actually talk to bands and see what kind of set lengths they'd be comfortable playing? And don't forget to factor in set up time for each band.

Do you require permits? Are you actually allowed to sell food in a public place without food hygeine certification? Have you even spoken to whoever runs the park? Know of any local PA hire companies? 100 watt amps won't cut it. Stage? Health and Safety? Fire risks? Security? It's a shitload of work for one person.
See, I want all bands to have a long set because it's hard to get long sets at the level we're all at.
Everyone who's performing has played in bard that give them like 45 minute sets. I want to double that so that the bands are happy and have a great time and are able to loosen up onstage and then keep playing!
Of course, I'm gonna ask all of them to see if they can play for an hour and a half!

So basically, all of you are saying I don't deserve any sort of reward for my work?
Quote by SunshineMusicO
See, I want all bands to have a long set because it's hard to get long sets at the level we're all at.
Everyone who's performing has played in bard that give them like 45 minute sets. I want to double that so that the bands are happy and have a great time and are able to loosen up onstage and then keep playing!
Of course, I'm gonna ask all of them to see if they can play for an hour and a half!

So basically, all of you are saying I don't deserve any sort of reward for my work?

Your reward is the smiling faces of all the festivalgoers
Quote by SunshineMusicO

You don't reward yourself. The reward is a better reputation amongst your peers and anything that might come along with it.

You're the one leading this. Being a leader means serving the needs of others.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't see a problem. If you're organizing the fundraiser and doing the work then you can take payment by having the last set. If bands don't like it, they don't have to come.

I don't see it as unethical but taking the same set time looks better on you.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How about you actually talk to bands and see what kind of set lengths they'd be comfortable playing? And don't forget to factor in set up time for each band.

Do you require permits? Are you actually allowed to sell food in a public place without food hygeine certification? Have you even spoken to whoever runs the park? Know of any local PA hire companies? 100 watt amps won't cut it. Stage? Health and Safety? Fire risks? Security? It's a shitload of work for one person.

I've looked into a lot of that already, and it has already increased my spending by a LOT. Double, actually.
It's not going to be HUGE. Just something to do really. And no, I won't really be able to sell the food....but I mean....will I really get in trouble if I do? I'm just trying to do good
Your answer is probably "yes".
What if I had a sign by the grill that said "eat at your own risk" just for liability issues?
Seriously though

There is a stage...well, it's a pavillion, which will make the sound be kind weird, but I don't care man. I just want to throw a fun time for the kids in my town who have nothing to do but drive around and smoke pot and watch TV
Instead, they should smoke pot and watch music and dance!! Weeehoooo!!!!
Quote by SunshineMusicO
I've looked into a lot of that already, and it has already increased my spending by a LOT. Double, actually.
It's not going to be HUGE. Just something to do really. And no, I won't really be able to sell the food....but I mean....will I really get in trouble if I do? I'm just trying to do good
Your answer is probably "yes".
What if I had a sign by the grill that said "eat at your own risk" just for liability issues?
Seriously though

There is a stage...well, it's a pavillion, which will make the sound be kind weird, but I don't care man. I just want to throw a fun time for the kids in my town who have nothing to do but drive around and smoke pot and watch TV
Instead, they should smoke pot and watch music and dance!! Weeehoooo!!!!

You very much could get in trouble if someone gets food poisoning, sign or not.
45 minutes is a great length of time for a small band, to be honest. An hour and a half is a very, very long time, especially if that's every band, people wouldn't enjoy it.
By the way, you probably won't have much time to enjoy yourself during the festival.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Playing at a festival and organizing a festival are totally different things.

Comparing your festival to Metallica's doesn't make any sense really, because Metallica is one of the biggest bands in the world. They've put in 20+ years of work to get where they are and earn the status they have, and can thereby justify headlining a festival they created.

But you? You're just someone no one really knows. If your band is capable of drawing the biggest crowd and is the most popular, sure, take the headline slot. But if you're not (which it sounds like you are) then you really need to look at band scheduling from an objective point of view.

The guitar player of my band has put on several shows, and we've played each one. But we've been the first act each time, because every other person that was playing was much more established than us.
Quote by SunshineMusicO

Why don't you demand the other band member's mother's to S your D?

It's basically the same thing.
I'd shorten your set times by a lot and give some intermissions where people can just hang out. You know, do drugs and have casual sex.

Just give an hour set if you want them to have some space.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Philip_pepper
Why don't you demand the other band member's mother's to S your D?

It's basically the same thing.

I mean, kinda! I worked hard, I deserve a blowjob!
Page 1 of 2