http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXNEmtf9tk

So my band wants to cover this tune. I know I can get close to the bass tone with a fretless Stingray, but there's a bit of a "swell" effect here that I can't nail. Any ideas on how to capture the tone in the lead in bass riff right before the verse starts?

And yes, I know that's a synth bass in the song, btw.
A octave pedal set octave up with tons of highs and possibly with maybe a envelope filter with the attack low so it sweeps slow. That's what I would try, if I had my amp I'd cook up something but I don't.
Tam:

My band has decided that they want to cover Black Velvet as well. When I listen to the song I'm thinking I hear both a synth bass and conventional bass played together.

Was just wondering what solution you arrived at for covering this song? Right now a SG bass seems to give me the best overall sound but I don't own a MM, although I do have both a Fender P and J bass.
Sorry I cannot help you, Tam. That song was so hopelessly overplayed on the radio when it came out that I cannot bear even to listen to it anymore. It is enough to make me want to commit heinous acts with sharp objects against perfect strangers.

Good luck, anyway.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If found that dialing in a bit of autowah and chorus seems to get close to the sound. I'm still tweaking with it a bit. I gave up trying to play this in drop D on my fretless ( can you say intonation isseus?) and now use my 6 string bass. The song was recorded with a synth bass, btw.

And yes, its not my favourite song to play. I have to concur that it got WAY overplayed when it came out and with the exception of some fills, its a pretty damn boring bass line.
I quite like it myself. But then I'm not much of a radio listener, so I missed the overplaying.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I can't hear anything going on in the sound that's particularly unusual to be honest. The attack of the note sounds a little different, but that could just be a compressor or technique.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan