I'm desperately trying to not make this a vs. thread. I got to play a Spider Valve 1x12 combo at a local music shop today, and I was really impressed by the mild overdrive/crunch sounds (what I'm primarily looking for in a grab and go amp), but I wasn't crazy about the effects. I'd only end up using the delay and reverb, all the others just sounded like garbage to me.

So my question is, is the Vypyr Tube 60 combo on the same level with amp modeling, and better with effects? The reason I'm wondering is because the shop has the Spider Valve at $150. They said they've had it for almost a year and just want it gone, For that price I could just go without effects, but if it's worth saving up a bit more for the Vypyr I will. Thoughts?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I have a vypyr 60 and just started a youtube channel if you wanna hear it I'm using it with the tubescreamer on in most those videos, others without it on the 6505

youtube name is forbloodandempiire

Unfortunately I've never used the other amp so I really couldn't tell you. I'm happy with the vypyr though and if you ever choose to theres a jack to plug in external speakers at 16 ohms so it's perfect if you ever wanna use it as a head for a 4x12.
Last edited by bloodandempire at Jul 1, 2013,
I'm not a fan of the Spider Valve, but for that price even I would get it. That's a great price for that amp.

I'm of the opinion that the Vypyr Tube sounds better. A lot better than the SVs I've played. I have to admit that I've never taken the time to dial one in though, which I read you HAVE to do to get a good sound out of them.

As far as FX go, the SV probably has better sounding FX. I don't think the ones on the Vypyr are bad, but they're very limited due to the WYSIWYG interface. The SV is a much more traditional "modeling amp", whereas on the other hand the Vypyr Tube is much more like an "amp that happens to use modeling". It's very limited tweakability wise.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 1, 2013,
I'd buy that in a second. $150 is cheap practice amp territory.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Hmm, I'm seeing Vypyr 60's on GC used for $200 plus $12 shipping. This is a tough choice. Does anyone know if either amps have the ability to control tap tempo via the floor controller (FBV or Sanpera)? That could be a deal maker/breaker for me.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Hmm, I'm seeing Vypyr 60's on GC used for $200 plus $12 shipping. This is a tough choice. Does anyone know if either amps have the ability to control tap tempo via the floor controller (FBV or Sanpera)? That could be a deal maker/breaker for me.

Either the Sanpera II or the FBV Shortboard MkII will do that.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd just play both extensively and make a decision based on what sounds best to you.

I don't have anywhere to play the Vypyr currently. If I had access to both I wouldn't make a thread
Quote by souperman08
I don't have anywhere to play the Vypyr currently. If I had access to both I wouldn't make a thread

Oh. OK. Well, you didn't really say that either.

and I was trying to just be neutral and not push the Vypyr too much which I'm already accused of doing
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Oh. OK. Well, you didn't really say that either.

and I was trying to just be neutral and not push the Vypyr too much which I'm already accused of doing

Lol, why ever would that be ?

I found most built in effects on most budget modelling amps suck that I tried.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I had a SV HD100 for several years and it was a very good modeling amp. The FX of the mk1 suck for the most part. but for $150 I'd buy it for sure.

The mk1 SV amps FVB will do tap/tempo just fine.

Personally I prefer the SV to the vypyr tube.

If you can find a Strymon SVpre for the SV it will make the amp into a firebreather
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate