I'm going to order a Carvin Bolt within the next few days, and I just wanted to get your opinions on the specs.

BOLTT
Left Handed
Wilkinson Tremolo

Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
Jet Black
5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Mahogany Stripes
Inline Headstock (Standard)
Satin Maple Headstock (Standard)
Ebony Fingerboard (May Have Streaking)
Dot Inlays (Standard)
Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
C22T Bridge Pickup
White Coils w/ Black Bezels
Replace S60A Pickups w/ AP11 Single-Coils
Chrome Hardware (Standard)
Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard)
Black Logo
White Plastic Volume/Tone Knobs
Dunlop Straplocks
Carvin Locking Tuners
Red Tortoise Pickguard
Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case
I know the costs shoot up really fast, but I don't think I could stand going custom without getting a fancy finish. Not much to brag about in a custom guitar with a plain gloss black finish.

Besides that... just looks like a Strat with an ebony fretboard. Nothing about it really stands out to me.

I'm not sure what you hope to gain from this. I don't want to talk shit on your specs if that's actually exactly what you want. I don't know.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Might look a bit too plain, and a maple/mahogany neck is quite an unusual choice. But overall, the specs are nice. Remember to make an NGD post when you get it!
Agreed. Get what you want, we can't help you have preferences. None of the options that Carvin gives you are so consequential that you're going to get a crap guitar.

If you're genuinely unsure about some of those specs then you should research more or ask specific questions.
Although I have never tried a Carvin myself, I have heard good things about the tung oil necks and would definitely choose that if it is an available option on the Bolt. Also, If you've got the extra cash, the natural tops look really nice. I'm not a fan of black guitars personally.
When I got my Bolt a year ago, I got the finish on the back of the neck. I find that I move up and down the neck on that guitar much better than my Ibanez. As far as the main body finish, that's totally personal preference. I really wish their website had a feature where you could see what the guitar looks like as you build it like Domino's does with my delicious pizzas. I ended up building mine in Photoshop to see what the different options would look like.

Good call on the stainless frets.

My only advice is to play the hell out of it the first week and make sure there's nothing wrong with it. I've spent over $100 in the past year in shipping sending it back for repairs.

Overall, the Bolt's a good guitar, but I do have a few issues with it.
- The action isn't all that great. A guy I play with has a Mexican Strat that has better action. I've had three different people do a full setup on it, and they can't get the strings any lower without getting serious fret buzz.
- Their pickup selection is crappy. You'd think for being custom guitars, they'd have the option for you to send them the pickups you want installed since they don't offer them. I recently tried to swap out the bridge humbucker on mine, and apparently the ones Carvin uses are a different size from the standard. So if you do switch them out, you'll have to have a custom pickguard cut.
- I don't like how the whammy bar locks in with the Wilkinson tremolo system. It's beyond obnoxious that I can't just screw the whammy bar in or push it in and have it lock. I have to push it in and tighten a hex screw every time. In addition to that, the little black plastic piece that the whammy bar goes into kept coming out. I just felt like they didn't inspect the guitar nearly enough before it went out otherwise that and a few other things would've been caught. That's just one of the downsides of not buying locally I guess.
thanks for the input guys!

I think I should have provided an explanation with some of the choices.

I actually want a black finish with a red tortoise pickguard, I think they compliment each other really nicely!

The Wilkinson is the only tremolo they offer on the left handed Bolt, and I want a tremolo on this guitar.

I chose the maple neck with 2 mahogany stripes, because I've read that the 'skunk stripes' make the neck even more rigid and help prevent it from warping.

I've read that locking tuners work great on any guitar with a tremolo system.

Also, I went with the HSS configuration, just to make the guitar a little more versatile.
Oh, I love how the Wilkinson trem plays. I've got a Kahler (Kohler maybe?) trem on an old Carvin, and it's a little too intense. The trems on Fenders are fine, but they're not as smooth as the Wilkinson. My only beef with it is how the whammy bar goes into it.

A piece of advice, coat the hex key (except for the end you'll be using to tighten the whammy) with rubber or something. It's very small and easy to drop, and you don't want to scratch up that beautiful new guitar.

I've got HSS and the locking tuners as well. I got the green burst finish, and I can't tell you how many compliments I get on it. I kind of wish I'd gone with the mahogany stripes for the same reason. I've heard it makes the neck more stable which means I might be able to get the action down to my liking.

Out of curiosity, what's the wait time on them now? Mine took about 2.5 months.
on the website it says the build should take 5-8 weeks... i'm not sure if that's accurate though...