This isn't actually a 'new' gear day, it's more an old new gear day - I got this a few weeks ago, but wanted to really give it a good go once the attenuator arrived.

So...

This is a Marshall 1987X with a matching 1960AX cabinet. On top of the head is a Weber Mass 100.

Starting with the Marshall stuff then, I got the head and cabinet at the end of May for £900 (would have been around £1600 new) all in. I quickly decided it's too damn loud to be able to crank up without an attenuator (I knew it'd be too loud anyway, but the attenuator took a couple of weeks to be made and shipped). This thing sounds fantastic when it's cranked. It's got a lovely plexi tone (as you'd expect from a plexi-style amp). Also as you'd expect, if you crank it up and then turn the volume knob down on the guitar, it'll clean up nicely. It can't do heavy metal, but I wouldn't want it to; the heaviest I go is probably Led Zeppelin, and the amp can do that perfectly.

I primarily play my Les Paul through this beast, and boy is it a nice tone when you get a sweet spot of the amp. The are 4 inputs on this amp; but I usually only play through the 4th input (the one the lead's in on the picture), and bridge the 2nd and 3rd input with a patch lead. I find that the other inputs are too bright and/or sensitive for my liking. This amp, to me, is perfect for my taste (I mainly listen to classic rock). In terms of features, this is the version with the effects loop, which is a nice thing to have. Durability-wise, it seems to be built like a tank - so hopefully I'll have no problems there.

Onto the attenuator. This is a Weber Mass 100. I bought it new for just over £250. I got the 100 watt version (despite it being a 50 watt amp) because I thought it'd be a safer bet in the long run if I ever get a 100 watt amp. This does a really good job of reducing the volume down to bedroom levels (though we live out in the middle of nowhere so we don't really have any neighbours to disturb). The unit itself seems to be pretty rugged, and I also like the fact that it has it's own tone controls for fine adjustment of the sound. A couple of things about it though - I ordered the version with the headphone jack, and to be honest - it sounds like shit through headphones. Not sure why, but it sounds nothing like the amp - it's probably more inline with those iRig things that plug into your iPhone. Also, when you turn some of the pots, they feel really really gritty as though they've got sand wedged in them. Again, not sure why this is, but it doesn't really affect the unit sound-wise.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Last edited by HenryB at Jul 2, 2013,
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Classic set-up, Gibson through a cranked Marshall. HNGD!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Classic set-up, Gibson through a cranked Marshall. HNGD!

That's exactly what I was going for (and wanting for ages)
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
HN1987XD

Is this a new amp or a used one? Looks hot. Congrats.

On the Mass - I'd expect the headphone out to sound like shit, that is just the way it is. The pots sound like they might be dirty but that is odd. I'd get in touch with Weber on that to see if they will make good. The pots may just need some contact cleaner but getting in there might be a bitch.

Have fun with your new amp!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HN1987XD

Is this a new amp or a used one? Looks hot. Congrats.

On the Mass - I'd expect the headphone out to sound like shit, that is just the way it is. The pots sound like they might be dirty but that is odd. I'd get in touch with Weber on that to see if they will make good. The pots may just need some contact cleaner but getting in there might be a bitch.

Have fun with your new amp!

The amp's a used one, but it's in virtually perfect condition - I really got a great deal on it (gotta love Gumtree!).

That's not a bad idea - I'll email Weber now. I don't really want to have to ship it back to the US, so hopefully it's something I can sort out from here. Thanks for the advice!
My Current Gear
happy new stuff day!!! thats one sweet rig you have there sir!
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Now that rig takes me back! Classic! HNAD!!! Enjoy the living shit out of it for a very long time!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks everyone!

@FatalGear41 yeah it really is a classic - I love it!
My Current Gear
I emailed Weber about the gritty feeling pots, and they said that it is normal, and that it occurs on the volume pots because they are rheostats (ceramic, wire-wound rheostats). So it's good to know that it's normal!
My Current Gear