Hello everyone. I finally got all of the parts for my Kramer Pacer project in today. I began to solder (have a decent understanding of it) and I completed it not too long ago. Once I finished, I obviously went to test it and to my luck, it didn't work. I followed the wiring diagram exactly (Dimarzio's website for 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone). I'll post some pics I took of it to see if any one of you guys can see where I went wrong.

Skip the username, call me Billy
Do you have the hot leaf from the volume pot to the tone pot going to the center or right hand lug of the tone pot, as seen from the angle of your picture? And do you have a multimeter?

PS: If you didn't know, it's a Pacer Imperial, as there were several variations on the Pacer. The HH with an older style body makes it an Imperial, vs a Deluxe which is SSH and top routed. I have the latter :-).
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Jul 1, 2013,
I have it going to the middle lug. The wire that looks like it's going to the right, it's the one ground wire that I have on the back of the tone pot. It's weird since I practically have everything in place from what the diagram said. Maybe the lug on the back of the selector needs to be soldered in somewhere? I also don't have a multimeter from what I recall.

And thanks about that! I knew they had different models of the Pacer but I didn't know what the HH version was called.
Always happy to spread a little info about the old school Kramers!

Do you have the hot wire from the volume pot going to the tip of the plug, and the ground going to ring? Can you get anything through the amp if you tap on the pickups with a screwdriver?

Oh, and are both pickups Dimarzio?
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Well one, you dont have the switch grounded. That extra tab on it needs to be grounded to the pots.

But that soldering is so sloppy, its hard to tell which is even going to where.

Yes, if it's not grounded you're not going to get anything. Missed that in your pictures.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Always happy to spread a little info about the old school Kramers!

Do you have the hot wire from the volume pot going to the tip of the plug, and the ground going to ring? Can you get anything through the amp if you tap on the pickups with a screwdriver?

Oh, and are both pickups Dimarzio?

The volume is going to the tip and the ground is on the ring of the jack. Both of the DiMarzios (Air Zone and Air Norton) turn on and what not just no sound. They do pull a bit on the screwdriver when I tap the pickups.

Quote by Explorerbuilder
Well one, you dont have the switch grounded. That extra tab on it needs to be grounded to the pots.

But that soldering is so sloppy, its hard to tell which is even going to where.

Ok, I thought so. And I know it's a bit messy since it's my first time. I tried to keep it neat but when I actually the wires of the pickups into the cavity, it turned into a whole lot of messy. And the actually joints themselves aren't the greatest either.

I'll ground the back of the switch in and see how that does. I was all kinds of confused on how to put that into it since it kind of confused me. Good thing I have you guys to ask to make sure I'm doing it right. And I still need a ton of practice on making my connections and soldering cleaner and tidier.
Grounding that large tab on the switch won't really do anything but make the circuit slightly noisier. Everything is already connected with the foil so any additional wires are just redundant and cause ground loops. TS, you should really just rip it all out and start over, being neat and making good soldering connections. Highlight each wire on the diagram AFTER you make each connection to keep track of your progress. I also recommend reading about ground loops and properly shileding guitar cavities. There should only be a single connection from the circuit ground to the foil. The pot and switch casings will already be connected by the foil and the sleeve of the output jack will probably be that single connection to the foil.
I don't know why I took so long to respond, but here I am. I desoldered everything and made the pickup wires a bit shorter (since I didn't cut them at all). Instead of attempting to do it all over again, I was just going to take it to a local music shop or up GC when I had the time and manage to get the car to drive.

I was wondering how much a wiring job costs. What is it? Around $50 or so?
GC charged my brother $35 to replace the jack and clean the switch and pots on a Dinky Professional, so I would imagine it will be a bit more, especially if you bring them a basket case. I'm sure it varies from area to area, so I'd call them.
Ok, thanks! I made sure everything was practically cleaned off of the pots and jacks and what not so it's pretty clean. If I remember correctly, my local music shop (that put the Duncans in my LP) did it for around $45. Oh well, I'll just head up to GC tomorrow and ask (since it's a few minutes closer) and I want to try out some gear as well.
I believe that either the 1st or 2nd lug on the volume pot (possibly solder dripping down) or the hot side of the jack could be touching the shielding tape in the cavity causing the signal to be grounded and killing your output. Other than the switch not being grounded, your wiring looks correct. I think you should try it again before taking it to a tech. I think you can do it and save yourself some cash.
grounding - per Invader Jim... you've already got the foil covering the entire cavity, so all of the switches already have a point to connect to a ground using ground-rings (basically a metal washer with a piece sticking out at one point to solder a ground wire). BUT, you need a ground connection point to link it all together. get a screw and a large washer, then connect all of your ground wires to that....

bridge, output jack, volume ground lug, tone cap, both pickups and three ground rings from switch and pots.

it's called star-grounding, read an article called 'quieting the beast' from guitar nuts.

just saw this,... it looks like you have a small black wire coming out of the body (above the pickups) which i would this is a ground connection to the srping hook for the bridge... and it "looks" like that wire is connected to the hot line out of the volume pot. not really sure what that would do, but it's not correct.

soldering tip - my first few times soldering looked justblike yours until i found more information. the best technique i found was "tinning". make sure you have a wet sponge (or rag) before you begin. sand the tip of your iron before plugging it in. and use 60/40 solder. once the iron is hot enough, coat the tip with solder and roll it around on the wet sponge. it should create a nice even silver like surface all the way around. this will help transer the heat better. before you try to solder your wires, you should tin them and the backs of your pots as well. heat the wire and hold the solder to the wire until it is hot enough to take. IF You Are going to use star-grounding, you do not need to daisy chain the grounding to the back of the pots at all, everything will ground to the large waser srewed in to the cavity somewhere.

wet the tip of your iron often through out the process, i do it after every solder connection. if all else fails to get the solder to take easily, get some flux... coat your wires and solder point with flux and when you heat it up the flux will clean the surface and help the solder stick more easily.

not sure how much of that you are already doind, but those are the things that helped me
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
One soldering mistake that a lot of people make is having the sponge or rag too wet. It only needs to be damp. You are wiping off the excess solder from the tip, not giving it a steam bath.
Q: What's worse than lobsters on your piano?
A: Crabs on your organ.