Hey guys,
I don't have too much experience with EQ pedals and have pretty much always used the amp's controls to balance out the sound. That's always been fine for me, however I'm using an amp now that doesn't have a gain control, but rather a volume control that increases the bass,mids,and treble as it gets louder. I was thinking an EQ would help balance it out at higher volumes, but I just wanted to get your guys' opinions to see if this would make sense or not, and if so, if there are any pedals you'd recommend.
Thanks!
Sounds like a good idea to me. If you want a good EQ on the cheap, grab a Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips, but if you want a superb one, go for the MXR 10-band
ya I hear the mxr 10 band is really great. Do you think the mxr 6 band would do the trick, or do you think the 10 is definitely the way to go?
I had the 6 band for a few years and grew to hate it. It doesn't have a level control so you get massive volume fluctuations with it. If you want to go the MXR route, 10 band is the way to go.
An EQ is great for shaping your tone. Keep in mind what you do for home will likely need to change when playing live.

For example, at home, I use my EQ to cut a lot of my high frequencies to give a more studio like tone, but when playing live, those high frequencies are necessary to cut through the mix.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
The MXR 10 band is the best way to go but if you need to save money the Danelectro Fish & Chips is a very good pedal for the price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the responses guys,
@Tremolo Bum, Yea definitely, which is the main reason I'm looking into it. The volumes at home are actually pretty manageable, but once I turn it up is really when I'd need it, more so to refine the tone. It cuts through pretty well as it is, but I feel like it needs a little more clarity at that level.
@Cathbard That's pretty much what I've been hearing from people on ultimate guitar as well as other guitarists, so I'm glad the opinions are pretty constant. Assuming pricing wasn't too much of a problem, are there others besides the MXR you'd recommend?
Well, I don't recommend a Boss GE-7 because every one I've tried has been a noisy piece of crap. Like I said, if you can't afford the MXR buy the Danelectro. There may be others but none that I've tried stack up against those. Most cheap EQ's are very noisy, the Dano isn't. The switch is a bit flimsy and I intend to replace it with something better before long but that's just because I want to gig with it. If it isn't getting the sort of abuse it would gigging then I am sure it would be fine as it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Dano 7 band and like it just fine. It is ugly as sin and the switch is kind of cheap as mentioned but the pedal works great. I think it is pretty simple. If you have $110 and want the no questions asked best then get the MXR 10 band. If however, you only want to spend $35 for something that works well for the price get the Dano. I wouldn't waste time looking at anything else.
I think the question's been answered, but I'll add to it:

My MXR 10-band is the one pedal I can't do without. It can be for very subtle tweaks or drastically change your tone for the better. Like your tone the way it is but wish the highest highs weren't quite so fizzy? Cut them out. Want your rhythm tone to sound a little more brutal or punchy? Add a few db of low-mids. Need to cut through the mix a little better but don't want to sound harsh? Add a few db of high-mids.

No matter where I set my amp's eq by itself, I can't achieve as good of a tone as I can with my MXR. It is still important to get a good base eq on your amp; don't get me wrong. But a good eq pedal will allow you to improve your tone from there. I have owned a Boss GE-7 as well, and like others have said, it's a noisy bastard. Some also say you don't need the 10 bands that the MXR provides. I disagree. I notice a difference in tone with all of the sliders except the very lowest one. I leave that one at zero; neither cut nor boosted. Perhaps I'd be able to hear a difference if I tuned to F-standard or something equally brilliant. The other sliders produce a very noticeable effect, however. It's well worth it, in my opinion.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 2, 2013,