Page 1 of 2
Scientists and Philosophers of the pit, what are your theories on why this statue is behaving the way it is?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029507

I personally would love to believe that there is something supernatural at work, however I am leaning more towards a scientific explanation.

So pit, is it supernatural or is it science? What do you guys think?
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Vibrations.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
resonance, that or aliens
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Hydra150
Vibrations.

Vibrators
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Hydra150
Vibrations.

I would have to agree.

It is kind of weird that its the only one in the case spinning though.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
well i'd say vibrations, but its kinda weird none of the others move

EDIT - that's a hell of a ninja^^
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Last edited by Toadvine at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by Shadowenspirit
I would have to agree.

It is kind of weird that its the only one in the case spinning though.

Different size, weight, etc. so its resonance frequency isn't the same as the other statues'. Probably.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Resonance.

Next. Museums trying to drum up publicity like this is a little against the point of having a museum surely.
Quote by damian_91
Different size, weight, etc. so its resonance frequency isn't the same as the other statues'. Probably.

Ah that makes sense actually.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by sashki
To be fair, it's not a science museum.

Shouldn't really matter. It's a museum, I suppose it makes some effort to be about learning, education and ultimately truth. Pissing about with some statue and drumming up a news report or two by chatting shit about Egyptian magic is basically whoring your museum out
Last edited by willT08 at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by willT08
Shouldn't really matter. It's a museum, I suppose it makes some effort to be aboutmlearning, education and ultimately truth. Pissing about with some statue and drumming up a news report or two by chatting shit about Egyptian magic is basically whoring your museum out

If I see a museum with some weird Egyptian statue, I discredit them quite a bit unless they have a good reason to have it there (if they have other weird statues from other countries that proves they know their shit)
Same goes for old weapons and primitive drawings something which I forgot
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
If I see a museum with some weird Egyptian statue, I discredit them quite a bit unless they have a good reason to have it there (if they have other weird statues from other countries that proves they know their shit)
Same goes for old weapons and primitive drawings something which I forgot

you sly bastard
I would like to see how the bottom of the statue is shaped. If it isn't quite flat it could be easy for it to rotate as the case vibrates. Why is that woman employed in such a position if she believes spirits are kept in mummies? She shouldn't be in an educational position.
Quote by Hydra150
you sly bastard

Sly like a....

weasel
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

weasel

Quote by Joshua1207
I was hoping someone would reference that doctor who episode where those statues move and try to kill them or whatever happened

The weeping angels! Don't Blink!

Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Last edited by Shadowenspirit at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by Shadowenspirit
The weeping angels! Don't Blink!

An image of an angel becomes an angel. It's on Youtube.

Game over, man. Game over.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
An image of an angel becomes an angel. It's on Youtube.

Game over, man. Game over.

In my opinion the W.A. are easily one of the coolest/smartest creature ideas ever.

I think there might be something in my eye...
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

-Voltaire

So it is written.
People walking by caused it to move, they were able to capture it on video.

next
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

magnets and shit

sigless
Last edited by sysD at Jul 2, 2013,
Where I come from, those are one in the same.

But yeah, clearly it's moving cause of vibrations/frequencies/etc/etc
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
supernatural explanations? 0/10 obvious troll. It's the year 2013 there's no way anyone with internet access would believe in something supernatural.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Probably one the metals used in the statue is magnetic.
Some part of the museum is magnetic and voila.

Attraction.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

To quote a sh!ttie movie maybe it's "An act of nature, and we'll never fully understand it.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I wish it was supernatural however its due to the vibrations of the crowd during open hours, hence it only moving when the place is open
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Hydra150
Vibrations.

This, I saw the video when this first came out. The museum knows it's vibrations from the people walking as well, they just wanted a bit of publicity

watch the time lapse, Isn't it amazing how it only moves during the day when there's people walking by it?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by vilk
It's the year 2013 there's no way anyone with internet access would believe in something supernatural.

You've obviously never visited YouTube.
WHAT do you want?
Someone is actually moving it with a magnet underneath.

That someone is Ash.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
This, I saw the video when this first came out. The museum knows it's vibrations from the people walking as well, they just wanted a bit of publicity

watch the time lapse, Isn't it amazing how it only moves during the day when there's people walking by it?

This.
As Lord Duku says.... Seems pretty obvious to me. The statue is small, no doubt the actual contact surface is uneven and there's only a couple of small contact points. It's displayed on a piece of glass... Quite flexible.
Normal vibrations from traffic, foot traffic, or whatever are causing it to move.
Hell, my home-theater speakers do the same thing... They're on a large glass shelf too.
Solution... Put a felt or silicone-rubber bit under the statue.
Page 1 of 2