Page 3 of 6
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I think for my cover of One, I should mute the bass like the real mix.

Turn the bass up to the point where it destroys speakers, and then turn down the solo and make it all treble-y with really shitty distortion so it sounds like static

production guise
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm not sure which entries he missed.

I've resubmitted my entry that Leony missed. The other person he missed posted about it on the Easy voting thread, should be easy enough to find.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Um, One by Metallic should probably be advanced, shouldn't it?

Those solos are fast as shit

I don't know if I'll get anything it which is why I haven't said anything yet. Might try to do something next week when I have time.

Probably, The Low Road Has No Exits by Every Time I Die (intermediate guitar)
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 9, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
Um, One by Metallic should probably be advanced, shouldn't it?

Those solos are fast as shit

They're not really that difficult

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsnt2k7JMPs
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
yea, I guess. I was just wondering since we've put some of the easier Protest the Hero songs and stuff in advanced and I would have a much easier time with them than with that.

Guess it depends on what your comfortable playing though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
One by Metallica is advanced for this I think. It isn't as hard as PTH or whatever but there are enough tricky parts to make it fit advanced rather than intermediate. The trickier Metallica songs we have had in the past have always been advanced.
Quote by whywefight
I guess I thought the tapping was twice as fast as that from what I remembered.

No, it definitely is faster. Though doing basic tapping like that twice as fast isn't really all that difficult anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well if you guys think Metallica is advanced, then you guys can stick that in there. I'm not that picky
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Random3

Also that Finntroll song is too fast to be easy.

Eh, I guess it can be intermediate. Either way, I'll be redoing the music from scratch, like last time. It's easier now that there's a tab, even if it's still in the TPA queue (hint hint).
Also gon' be doing Codex by Veil of Maya, intermediate guitar.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by leony03
I made this video because some people on my channel ask me what I use to record my covers and it may be of interest to people here. If not, then dats kewl.

Props for going to the effort of making that video and trying to be as detailed as possible GM = General MIDI, not that it matters too much as you know how to use it, by the way

A few pointers though (and I mean no offence by it, just trying to help) :

1) You mention setting up two tracks for each take... that's fine if you want to use different amp sims/signal chains to thicken the tone of one take, but you seem to be having one as 'left' and one as 'right' to 'give a better stereo' - that's not true, dunno who told you that. You're recording mono takes, because in any song most of the tracks are mono (because you have one source) apart from stuff like stereo drum overheads/room mice, and recording acoustic instruments in stereo. With a heavy/rock guitar sound, you're 99% of the time going to want to record in mono with one mic, or several mono tracks with various mics but the same source, and pan them fairly similarly.

Panning one guitar track hard left and the other hard right, if they come from the same source, will only ever make a centre-panned mono sound, albeit louder (by 3 or 6dB I think), because mono on a stereo system is basically both sides of the stereo field playing the same thing, giving what we call a 'phantom centre'.

All you're doing by recording two takes for 'left and right' is using up twice as much hard drive space

2) Your computer does seem very slow, maybe that's the main problem, but I can't believe how much latency you seem to be getting when recording just two simultaneous tracks - my '08 iMac could do that on projects with 30-40 other tracks, and not give any noticeable latency (nothing you could hear, obviously there would have been a couple of ms). Have you got your computer and/or Reaper set up properly? What is your buffer rate for Reaper? Having to manually re-allign all your tracks after recording is insane and would drive me mad.

Instead of using nudge though, and clicking the button to keep moving it across, why not highlight both regions and just drag them into place (and if you zoom in more, you could be much faster and more accurate than the nudge feature is allowing you in that video), if you can't get rid of the latency.

As for the end, I won't mention about mixing and mastering because I could go on all day and will bore anybody here, especially as I imagine most users just want to demo guitar recordings, not release any music and learn about audio engineering.

Again though, well done for having the patience to make a video like that and I hope this doesn't come across as belittling the video - I just felt like correcting the few minor inaccuracies to help you further
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Props for going to the effort of making that video and trying to be as detailed as possible GM = General MIDI, not that it matters too much as you know how to use it, by the way

A few pointers though (and I mean no offence by it, just trying to help)

1) You mention setting up two tracks for each take... that's fine if you want to use different amp sims/signal chains to thicken the tone of one take, but you seem to be having one as 'left' and one as 'right' to 'give a better stereo' - that's not true, dunno who told you that. You're recording mono takes, because in any song most of the tracks are mono (because you have one source) apart from stuff like stereo drum overheads/room mice, and recording acoustic instruments in stereo. With a heavy/rock guitar sound, you're 99% of the time going to want to record in mono with one mic, or several mono tracks with various mics but the same source, and pan them fairly similarly.

Panning one guitar track hard left and the other hard right, if they come from the same source, will only ever make a centre-panned mono sound, albeit louder (by 3 or 6dB I think), because mono on a stereo system is basically both sides of the stereo field playing the same thing, giving what we call a 'phantom centre'.

All you're doing by recording two takes for 'left and right' is using up twice as much hard drive space

Thanks I didn't actually mean stereo I'm not great at talking for extended periods of time, especially in front of a camera so words get jumbled in my head.

What I used to do when I had POD Farm was using two different layers with different cabs and mics and blended them which in turn led to the Left and Right outputs being slightly different in sound. So instead of recording the guitar twice, I recorded both and layered them so in a way, it did give the impression it was being played twice.

I don't actually do that with the PODxt so I think force of habit has kept me doing it

Your computer does seem very slow, maybe that's the main problem, but I can't believe how much latency you seem to be getting when recording just two simultaneous tracks - my '08 iMac could do that on projects with 30-40 other tracks, and not give any noticeable latency (nothing you could hear, obviously there would have been a couple of ms). Have you got your computer and/or Reaper set up properly? What is your buffer rate for Reaper? Having to manually re-allign all your tracks after recording is insane and would drive me mad.

There isn't usually that much latency but I think because I was using Camtasia, recording the PODxt and system sound on that AND recording in Reaper (not to mention the other crap in the background probably), the latency was a hell lot larger.

Also, normally I set the sound options to ASIO so my PODxt does all the stuff. For this video for video recording purposes, I set it so it had just selected the PODxt for recording and my sound card for the output.

Instead of using nudge though, and clicking the button to keep moving it across, why not highlight both regions and just drag them into place (and if you zoom in more, you could be much faster and more accurate than the nudge feature is allowing you in that video), if you can't get rid of the latency.

Because in Reaper, it has snap lines which in some cases is useful, but for aligning stuff like this, it doesnt do a great job. There might be an option to turn it off. I'll have a look. Again, I think its just force of habit.

As for the end, I won't mention about mixing and mastering because I could go on all day and will bore anybody here, especially as I imagine most users just want to demo guitar recordings, not release any music and learn about audio engineering.

I was only going into the very basics like just recording and what I use more than mastering. I do do that stuff though. I definitely still have a way to go with it all. I haven't really forced myself to learn the really in-depth stuff because I'm not doing it professionally or anything but maybe if I get some time over summer, I'll try and improve!

Again though, well done for having the patience to make a video like that and I hope this doesn't come across as belittling the video - I just felt like correcting the few minor inaccuracies to help you further

Thanks! Yeah its cool man, I appreciate it. I'm not used to explaining stuff like this unless its a 1-on-1 with someone so I wasn't expecting it to be great I ended up actually recording it 6 times because the other times kept screwing up with sound or camera dodginess
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03

Because in Reaper, it has snap lines which in some cases is useful, but for aligning stuff like this, it doesnt do a great job. There might be an option to turn it off. I'll have a look. Again, I think its just force of habit.

Look to see if there's a key you can hold down that makes your DAW ignore the grid. FL Studio has Alt; hold down Alt and drag a clip in the playlist, or a note in the piano roll, and it'll ignore whatever the grid snap is set to. Holding down Shift and using the scroll wheel does more or less the same thing.
Fair enough, I think I can let you off for those reasons then Are you panning both tracks of one harmony to one side then, and both of the other harmony to the other? Can't tell from your explanation, but with lead guitars I would usually pan them about 33% left for one harmony part, and the other harmony part about 33% right (Logic Pro doesn't use percentages for panning, but I think Reaper is percentages, right?) so you have the lower harmony slightly to one side, and the higher harmony to the other side - otherwise you'll end up with less separation between the harmony parts, and both sounding somewhere more centralised (which isn't a good thing, especially if there's vocals over the top).

Same applies to rhythm guitars in a rock/metal mix, and probably most modern genres now, albeit you'd pan them hard left and right (100% or so each way) to create the impression of one guitarist on one side, and another on the other side, so keep both tracks of your first take panned one way, and both tracks of your other take panned the other way, based on your technique.

Also, just to show I'm actually going ahead with it this time, instead of signing up in the past and not having time, here's a teaser of what I've done so far (ignore the crappy guide vocals) - Link
Sounds friggin awesome
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Put me down for Silent Flight Parliament by Between the Buried and Me. Not sure if its Intermediate or Advanced, though. Started working on it a few weeks ago and just now read this and figured "eh, what the hell." There's still a few places I just crash and burn on though, so this will be my encouragement to work on it. Do I send a SoundCloud link to someone or should I just post it in a post and hope someone sees it?

If I can get all of it recorded it will most likely be both guitar tracks, as well.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Quote by Destinyrider22
Put me down for Silent Flight Parliament by Between the Buried and Me. Not sure if its Intermediate or Advanced, though. Started working on it a few weeks ago and just now read this and figured "eh, what the hell." There's still a few places I just crash and burn on though, so this will be my encouragement to work on it. Do I send a SoundCloud link to someone or should I just post it in a post and hope someone sees it?

If I can get all of it recorded it will most likely be both guitar tracks, as well.

Definitely advanced, that track is insane.

And yeah you can use Soundcloud, Youtube, or whatever. Just post the link to this thread when done.

I recorded In My Time Of Need by Opeth earlier, but I am having some issues with transitioning between Pro Tools 10 and 11 so I may not be able to actually mix it or anything.
Quote by Random3
Definitely advanced, that track is insane.

Its not that bad, actually. Its just long as hell. Like I said there are still some parts that I just crash on, but for the most part its fairly simple. That and I have the tab book for the album, which helps a lot. But thanks for the info. I'll probably just post it to Soundcloud; I was really wondering how to get the link to people.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier

Quote by jsync
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I wanna record my cover of Natural Science outside. But it's raining.

/firstworldproblems

Perfect for a music video.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Dang. Just saw that this ended July 20th. I had a song picked out and all that. -sigh- Maybe next year.
Quote by Le Fantome
Dang. Just saw that this ended July 20th. I had a song picked out and all that. -sigh- Maybe next year.

It's every month so you don't have to wait a yea,
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by BladeSlinger
Perfect for a music video.
Not for my electronics though. Or the guitar wood.

I plan to actually record the guitar parts on site while being filmed outside and reamp the raw tracks later. I'll need to get a friend to record me because I'll be running around while playing.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Not for my electronics though. Or the guitar wood.

I plan to actually record the guitar parts on site while being filmed outside and reamp the raw tracks later. I'll need to get a friend to record me because I'll be running around while playing.

but all the coolest bands do it like bulet for my valintine

there kool rite?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
right, so i tried a better recording setup. i recorded video and sound separate, and started playing. at the end i looked at the camera and it had only recorded one minute of it. i liked that run, so i'm not doing it again and i'm only submitting sound.

it's a very loose cover, and i don't really like it because it digresses too much, but i felt every second of it as a part of the cover for some reason, i just felt like changing the sound for a second or two, and i just kept improvising. one thing i can promise you is that every digression and/or melody you don't hear in the original song was completely improvised, and therefore this is my genuine cover and instinctual interpretation of the song. i listened it to a while before doing the cover to really get a feeling for both the song and jimi's style of playing.

so i present to you, my intermediate guitar cover of foxy lady, originally by jimi hendrix of course.

https://soundcloud.com/kenan-al-shamie/foxy-lady

apologies for my deep breaths being audible every so often, i forgot how close my face was to the microphone.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jul 11, 2013,
My Semester Break = I'm entering. Because my guitar is in the br00tulz tunings I'll do War of the Gods by Amon Amarth and put it under Easy.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
OP Updated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Oh, just seen OP - feel free to move my guitar and bass entries to Easy, I'd say it's easier than War Of The Gods. It poses no challenges, I'm just having fun doing it (plus a band I'm recording at the moment play in the same tuning so I'm liking the low end currently haha)
Done.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'd like to do Hangar 18 by Megadeth - guitar of course
I would consider it an intermediate/advanced song, the original solo's are pretty difficult, but I'm going to be improvising.
Are we allowed to do do harmonies and stuff like that?
Quote by EsotericSurgery
I would consider it an intermediate/advanced song, the original solo's are pretty difficult, but I'm going to be improvising.

Absolutely. Its totally up to you how you record your cover. I plan on doing the same for the cover I'm doing.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier

Quote by jsync
Quote by EsotericSurgery

The idea is that you are supposed to learn the original verbatim.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Damn, was gonna do a cover Michael Jackson's P.Y.T but it seems the copyright holder is cracking down and muting everyone's audio.
Quote by theogonia777
The idea is that you are supposed to learn the original verbatim.

You mean 'version'?
Grammar, my friend.

I AM doing the original version.
Everything is going to be the same besides some solos near the end of the song.
There's like 16 in that song and I'm not going to do everyone exactly how it was recorded.
That would be boring and pointless.