Page 4 of 6
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Fair enough, I think I can let you off for those reasons then Are you panning both tracks of one harmony to one side then, and both of the other harmony to the other? Can't tell from your explanation, but with lead guitars I would usually pan them about 33% left for one harmony part, and the other harmony part about 33% right (Logic Pro doesn't use percentages for panning, but I think Reaper is percentages, right?) so you have the lower harmony slightly to one side, and the higher harmony to the other side - otherwise you'll end up with less separation between the harmony parts, and both sounding somewhere more centralised (which isn't a good thing, especially if there's vocals over the top).

Same applies to rhythm guitars in a rock/metal mix, and probably most modern genres now, albeit you'd pan them hard left and right (100% or so each way) to create the impression of one guitarist on one side, and another on the other side, so keep both tracks of your first take panned one way, and both tracks of your other take panned the other way, based on your technique.

Also, just to show I'm actually going ahead with it this time, instead of signing up in the past and not having time, here's a teaser of what I've done so far (ignore the crappy guide vocals) - Link

Yeah, both tracks for one harmony to one side and then the other harmony to the other. I didn't pan them 100% though. I think maybe about 65-70%. I'll give the 33% thing a go. Theoretically makes sense.

With rhythm guitars, I used to pan them hard left and right, then about 75% then hard left and right again I went through phases but this was when I was still learning the necessary stuff to make a recording sound half decent.

Also, that recording sounds ****ing epic! What amp/interface do you have?
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Coach Potato
Damn, was gonna do a cover Michael Jackson's P.Y.T but it seems the copyright holder is cracking down and muting everyone's audio.

Is this on YouTube or Soundcloud or what?

I had that problem with a Rammstein cover on YouTube. It got removed and I had a copyright thingy put on my account. Its gone now but it was a bit annoying. I got away with it on Soundcloud though. If you pitch change it, it seems to get past it. Its worked for other people anyway.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Yeah, both tracks for one harmony to one side and then the other harmony to the other. I didn't pan them 100% though. I think maybe about 65-70%. I'll give the 33% thing a go. Theoretically makes sense.

Well, as always there's no hard rules for recording, I just like to have harmonies (especially if it's twin guitar harmonies) panned out from the middle, but still more central than the rhythm tracks, so there's more separation through space and less needed with EQ etc. but anything from 33-50% each way will suffice - just keeps it out the way of the clutter of the centre and doesn't compete with the rhythm tracks out wide

With rhythm guitars, I used to pan them hard left and right, then about 75% then hard left and right again I went through phases but this was when I was still learning the necessary stuff to make a recording sound half decent.

I pan them completely hard left and right now - I went through a brief phase where I thought panning them too wide might leave too much space between them and the rest of the track, but once I started getting the hang of drum overheads (when recording drums too, as it's less relevant with programmed drums) it became apparent that the extra width was a good thing. In the teaser recording I linked to, there's two rhythm tracks on each side (often I'll just do one take for each side and multi-mic it, or have mic + DI'd reamp) as I felt that the sound of Amon Amarth, particularly on that album, is quite raw and the guitars even until the latest record have always been more groove-timing than 100% machine-precise, so I was actually after the slightly smeared transient response and attack that quad-tracking gives.

In this case, I've got the main take on each side panned hard left/right, and then the second take on each side is lower in the mix, and about 75% each way, because I feel that's getting me closer to their sound (I love Amon Amarth, but have always thought the guitars and drums to sound a bit odd until the newest album which sounds much more modern, and I prefer).

Also, that recording sounds ****ing epic! What amp/interface do you have?

Thank you! Well, when I'm recording other people or doing stuff that will be released, I would use my amp (Hughes & Kettner Switchblade head, H&K VC412 cab) but this recording is actually all amp sims This is all done at home, so I'm using what is convenient to some extent. The guitars are my Epi Les Paul (my main guitars are all locking trem and tuned to D standard for my band, so wasn't gonna tune them down for this) going into my Apogee Duet (I leave it at home, and record bands through two linked Focusrite Saffire Pro40's I have in a rack flight case) and straight into LePou LE456, and then the 'Catharsis s_pres_high' impulse response, loaded in LePou LeCab. There's a bit of Logic's Channel EQ on it too.

Bass is a Peavey Milestone something or other (picked up very cheap off a friend's gf, but it is signed by Duff McKagan of GnR/Velvet Revolver), again into the Duet and into Logic's own 'Bass Amp Pro', and then heavy compression after that.

Vocals you heard were a Sennheiser e902 (big dynamic mic, looks like a shorter, stubbier Shure SM7B and is used for similar things [bass amps, kick drums, scream vocals]) but they were only a rough take for that teaser - I'll do them properly through my ADK Thor (large diaphragm condenser mic) once I've finished recording the whole song's backing - again through the Duet... there's EQ and compression on it, and a tiny bit of delay and reverb low enough to do the effect but too low to pick up on unless I solo'd the vocal bus.

Drums are just Steven Slate Drums 4, I haven't done anything to the samples other than program them and bus them off to different channels in Logic so I can balance the levels easier, and put 'verb etc. on some of them later.

Edit: Oh, and I used Waves OneKnob Louder to quickly raise the master volume a bit so people didn't have to turn their volume up loads to hear it, and then forget and deafen themselves when they put their own music back on!

When I've finished it, I'll happily put the audio files up on my Dropbox if you (or anybody else) wants to play around with them and do their own mix etc. and if you wanna know anything specific about the mix (LE456 settings or what I've done to a certain track to correct something) I don't mind answering, probably better for PM's though as I fear I'm derailing this thread a bit
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Turns out my song was really easy. Can we do two Easy category songs or do they have to be different?
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Quote by EsotericSurgery
You mean 'version'?
Grammar, my friend.

Um... what?

I AM doing the original version.
Everything is going to be the same besides some solos near the end of the song.
There's like 16 in that song and I'm not going to do everyone exactly how it was recorded.
That would be boring and pointless.

Doing the solos exactly how they are recorded is the entire point of this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
"Verbatim" is a word used either as an adverb, adjective or noun, meaning copied "word for word".

Although as far as improvising goes, if you decide to improvise a solo then that is up to you, but it will be noticed and will generally lose you some votes. We have had some improvising before and it isn't "against the rules" or anything, but as Theo said the idea of learning the songs is to actually learn the songs.
Quote by EsotericSurgery
You mean 'version'?
Grammar, my friend.

I AM doing the original version.
Everything is going to be the same besides some solos near the end of the song.
There's like 16 in that song and I'm not going to do everyone exactly how it was recorded.
That would be boring and pointless.

Expand your vocabulary.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Cavalcade
Please, nobody say "verdant" around this guy. It's verboten.

Alles klar
Quote by leony03
Is this on YouTube or Soundcloud or what?

I had that problem with a Rammstein cover on YouTube. It got removed and I had a copyright thingy put on my account. Its gone now but it was a bit annoying. I got away with it on Soundcloud though. If you pitch change it, it seems to get past it. Its worked for other people anyway.

Youtube. They even went after the acapella covers so I doubt pitch shifting or anything would help. I'll probably just make a soundcloud and upload it there.
can we make sure when we do the polls we make it so the people voted are not anonymous in doing so? this way we can discount people voting for themselves.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I got the Metallica cover: https://soundcloud.com/grungie/metallica-one

It took me several days and I kinda got to the fuck it stage at the end.

I think productionwise, it sounds better than the original (cuz you can hear the bass), but I have a separate mixing that made it sound more similar to the original

edit: created the shit mix: https://myspace.com/grungie/music/song/metallica-one-shit-version-93629670-104162849
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Jul 13, 2013,
Hate to have to say this but I need to withdraw from this month's CATPM. No issues in relations to learning the songs, but personal family matters.

Shit is going down hill for my family by the minute, can't record or complete anything until shit gets better. I'll be down maybe for next month but nothing can happen for now. Sorry.
Quote by Cavalcade
Well, that sucks. Hope things work out.
Well, they have. Somewhat. Weed is something marvelous, I'll say that. Calmed my parents down.

Still can't record though. My dad was supposed to film me this weekend when he was free but he was getting his ass handed to him. It's really unlikely he'll be able to do it throughout the week but I'll just have to wait and see.
Quote by nico_9550
H4T3BR33D3R I think you missed my entry, it's on the previous page

Got it now

Quote by laid-to-waste
can we make sure when we do the polls we make it so the people voted are not anonymous in doing so? this way we can discount people voting for themselves.

sure.

Quote by thenextkirk92
Turns out my song was really easy. Can we do two Easy category songs or do they have to be different?

You can only do one per category so you'll have to choose which you like better.

OP Updated.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm uploading my video in a few hours. I'll edit this post when it's up.
Oh shit, I just now noticed this somehow. I'm going to try to get a song in within 4 days. Haven't played guitar or learned a new song in too long.

Hmm, now just to decide what song to learn. I am thinking of doing Nobuo Uematsu's To Zanarkand, but I don't have a classical or acoustic guitar anymore and I'm afraid it will sound shit otherwise. I'll think on it.

Also what do you guys use to record? I have limited tools at my disposal. Last time I recorded a song to UG I used my webcam to record it and it didn't work out so well
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Oh shit, I just now noticed this somehow. I'm going to try to get a song in within 4 days. Haven't played guitar or learned a new song in too long.

Hmm, now just to decide what song to learn. I am thinking of doing Nobuo Uematsu's To Zanarkand, but I don't have a classical or acoustic guitar anymore and I'm afraid it will sound shit otherwise. I'll think on it.

Also what do you guys use to record? I have limited tools at my disposal. Last time I recorded a song to UG I used my webcam to record it and it didn't work out so well

Korg AX5G Line in and Debut Video Capture :P

My entry is up

http://youtu.be/t3y6ChL78Yw
Last edited by thenextkirk92 at Jul 16, 2013,
Would the bass on Metallica's One really be considered advanced?

I'd put that on Easy
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Random3
I think intermediate for the bass would be fair.

Yeah, I'll just toss it there.

OP Updated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There's no way I'll finish the Steve Vai song. I've got an exam this week and I've barely picked up the guitar.
Last edited by nico_9550 at Jul 16, 2013,
Quote by nico_9550
There's no way I'll finnish the Steve Vai song. I've got an exam this week and I've bearly picked up the guitar.

Well, don't let us paws your studying fur that exam; we wouldn't want you to fall beehind. We could use more people voting, though, so once all that's over, help a bruin. Unless you don't karhu wins. Whatever, Oulu at yo boi anyway.

(I've reached a new low in puns.)
Quote by Cavalcade
Well, don't let us paws your studying fur that exam; we wouldn't want you to fall beehind. We could use more people voting, though, so once all that's over, help a bruin. Unless you don't karhu wins. Whatever, Oulu at yo boi anyway.

(I've reached a new low in puns.)

I really should start checking what I post

Secretly edited it
Last edited by nico_9550 at Jul 16, 2013,
It was a necessary sacrifice, sorry. It will live forever in your quote and our hearts
3 more days guys!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I've learned my song. I just have to record it.

Oh, it's not in the OP

It's, The Low Road Has No Exits - Every Time I Die
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 17, 2013,
Got it.

OP le update.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I just need to record a proper vocal track on Friday (off work in the day, so I can be loud enough to make it sound good ), expect it here on Friday evening.
I'll give you as long as you want.

Just take away my warning, that's it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If ive got the time i'll record a shitty vocal cover.

Satans Wrath-Between Belial and Satan
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster