Greetings and salutations!

I am currently refinishing my bich masterpiece. It used to be dragon blood red with a quilted maple top, I am giving it a shell pink finish. Don't ask.

All is going well, I did not sand down to the wood since the poly finish is so thick it would require at least a week of sanding. I sanded it with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to roughen up the finish, I primed it and then made that as smooth as possible.

Now I have this problem with both the body and the headstock, the finish looks fine but it looks almost.. Grainy? I have included a picture of the headstock finish before clearcoat.

What should I do? Sand it down and start over, buff it out, or will the clearcoat make it smooth?

Thank you in advance.
Have you wet sanded it?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Have you wet sanded it?

Oh I didn't think about that, I've never done that before actually.
It won't remove all the paint?
Quote by Ben88
Oh I didn't think about that, I've never done that before actually.
It won't remove all the paint?

If you do a search for the painting thread, there's a ton of useful information. Just make sure to search thread title instead of searching all posts.

Personally, I'd see if you can get access to a sander and sand it down to wood. Scuffing the clear coat will end up with a really thick finish. It might mess with hardware screwing in correctly and stuff.

If not, then wet sanding is a must. Wet sanding uses a certain kind of sandpaper and it will usually be very high grit. I think 600 is a good place to start with paint. You paint, then wet sand with a level so it's all even. Once it's smooth, let it dry, then paint again. Sand with a higher grit. One clear coat you might go up to 2000 grit sandpaper. You paint has to be smooth and level before adding more. Wet sanding will help remove bumps and stuff.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls