Right so, i've been playing quite a while (years), and ive realized, in times where theres fast down picking,my bicep hurts me ( picking hand ) , rendering me slower, what's happening is im starting the riff perfect on time, and smooth , towards the end it hurts my right bicep, and i start going off time since i'm not doing it as fast as i should be, or i compensate by hitting less notes. My wrist is fine, my forearm is fine , i don't get pains, my technique is correct as far as i know, half the song is palm muted so pretty much side of palm muting . I'm fairly muscular, bicep isn't so small XD , cousin is a violinist, said he went through the same issue when he used to body build and that issue didn't subside. anyone go through this before? Or have any idea how i overcome this?

Songs where the above happens

All that remains - Two weeks
Metallica - Master of puppets

just 2 examples where theres moderately fast continuous down picking
Last edited by weirdzaid at Jul 2, 2013,
Sounds like you need to relax and SLOOOOOW down. if you are tensed up chances are you are trying to go faster than you are currently capable of.
But if i'm not capable of it, how come i'm doing it fine for like 1 minute , then PAIN+ slow.

Personally i think, the auto flex of the arm for a prolonged time, the fact that the bicep is flexed without releasing causing the pain, but that doesn't make sense cuz its pretty much flexed whenever u play.

Or maybe it's because i'm trying harder making me flex harder >? idk
Last edited by weirdzaid at Jul 2, 2013,
Have you tried stretching before you start playing?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Jack like i've said, my picking is by the wrist, cant pick without flexing ur arm though, and yeah tostitos i have . Thanks for trying though
Quote by weirdzaid
My wrist is fine, my forearm is fine , i don't get pains, my technique is correct as far as i know

Technique is a holistic system that involved your whole body. Concentrating only on what's past your elbow isn't enough and you're feeling that right now.

Quote by weirdzaid
But if i'm not capable of it, how come i'm doing it fine for like 1 minute , then PAIN+ slow.

Being capable of something isn't as simple as being able to do it for a little while. As you're finding out; not being able to keep up something for long enough is as good as not being able to do it.

Personally i think, the auto flex of the arm for a prolonged time, the fact that the bicep is flexed without releasing causing the pain, but that doesn't make sense cuz its pretty much flexed whenever u play.

Or maybe it's because i'm trying harder making me flex harder >? idk

Flexing isn't the same thing as tension. You have tension issues, obviously you need to flex a muscle to be able to do anything which involves a certain amount of tension but the real key is not to let that build up in any part of your body. You need to slow down a bit and concentrate on not holding tension in any part of your body. Breathe properly, be mindful of what your body is doing at all times, don't just try and brute force your way through it. Getting better at guitar isn't a matter of forcing your way through a wall you hit, it's all about examining the wall and carefully taking it apart slowly over time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks zaphod, i'm starting to lean towards tension aswell, i'll try slow it down and gradually increase and see if istill get pains
I agree with the last post. The pain is most likely being caused by tension somewhere in your body but not necessarily in your arm or your bicep. That's just where the pain is but it can be caused by tension somewhere else. I would focus on relaxation and reducing any tension.
I've always thought being in a band like the Ramones would be brutal on the arms and bicep. I find myself getting sore after playing 2 of their songs.
to here knows when
I bodybuild, hasn't happened, I suggest massaging it before practice. Petrucci massages his fingers & stretches arms, so you could apply to the bicep.