I'm getting a new guitar soon, and I want a floyd rose on it. On my old one, I had to replace a vintage styled tremolo and have a shim built at the nut for the lock nut (behind the nut). If I go with a regular Fender strat (like a highway one), I'll have to do the same.

Basically I'm just wondering if a floyd rose functions "better" (for lack of a better term) on a guitar that is specifically designed for it (like an RG, where the shelf already in place on the neck and the space for the bridge is designed for the FR) in comparison to what I described.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 2, 2013,
You'll have to route the body and have new studs installed to mount the Floyd, and if you're willing to spend the money to do that you may as well the nut shelf cut for a Floyd nut. Retrofitting a Floyd is very involved and can be quite costly, hence why most folks buy the guitar already equipped with the FR system. If done right, there is no difference in functionality between a factory installed FR and a retrofitted FR.

The question is, why not buy an FR equipped Strat instead of retrofitting a Hwy 1?
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'm getting a new guitar soon, and I want a floyd rose on it. On my old one, I had to replace a vintage styled tremolo and have a shim built at the nut for the lock nut (behind the nut). If I go with a regular Fender strat (like a highway one), I'll have to do the same.

Basically I'm just wondering if a floyd rose functions "better" (for lack of a better term) on a guitar that is specifically designed for it (like an RG, where the shelf already in place on the neck and the space for the bridge is designed for the FR) in comparison to what I described.

100% yes it will, if the guitar wasn't designed for a trem system at all it will be a lot of work to install one and if it is a different style of trem you may be able to replace it with a floyd but odds are you wouldn't have the same octave up/down range with your floyd. I would say save yourself the hassle and purchase a guitar that comes with a factory installed floyd.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by 4FunandProphet

The question is, why not buy an FR equipped Strat instead of retrofitting a Hwy 1?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ne14t
100% yes it will, if the guitar wasn't designed for a trem system at all it will be a lot of work to install one and if it is a different style of trem you may be able to replace it with a floyd but odds are you wouldn't have the same octave up/down range with your floyd. I would say save yourself the hassle and purchase a guitar that comes with a factory installed floyd.

I think you're right with the note changes. Any difference in keeping the instrument in tune?

I'm aware of the costliness of modifying for a floyd rose. I just wasn't sure if I was missing out on the "real" thing.

I'd want to retrofit a highway one (It's just an example so bear with me) 'cause I'm thinking on alder for a guitar, and most alder guitars (strats for me) don't have floyd roses installed (unlike basswood RG's).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 2, 2013,
Depending on how and how often you use the trem, it may be better to get a quality nut, locking tuners, and a Wilkinson VS100 by Gotoh instead of a Floyd. You would have great tuning stability without the setup hassle. If you want to do lots of dive bombs and pull ups, a Floyd would be better. Another option to consider is buying a finished body from somebody like Warmoth that's already routed for a Floyd, and then swapping the neck and hardware over and selling the body. All you would have left it to get the nut shelf cut, and could recoup a large percentage of the cost of the body in the sale of the OE Strat body. In that case you could buy whichever Strat you prefer just for the neck and hardware, and have a body finished in whatever color you like, or buy bare wood and do it yourself.