So we ran out of studio time and we are doing the bass tracks at the singers house, he is also a trained engineer.

We don't have mics so we're going to be recording DI. I will be recording on two Active pickup basses through a Harke 3500. I know it won't sound the same as speakers but do you have any advice on what to do to make it sound better? The style is death metal, leaning a little more to the tech death side.
Why not ask the trained engineer?

All you really need in a USB or FireWire interface with 1/4" inputs on it (most are xrl/1/4" combos) just plug in there and record with your daw of choice. Your already using a amp head for color so the tone can be changed to your liking.
There is a time-honored solution, but it will set you back a few hundred bucks: if you are running an amp directly out into the mixer, get yourself a speaker simulator. They make a big difference with that setup. The best speaker simulator is said to be the Palmer PDI-03, which can be a little hard to find.

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/Speaker-Simulators.htm

Absent that, skip the amplifier, get a decent computer recording interface (much cheaper than a speaker simulator) and use the amplifier models in the recording software. If you don't like them, get a software that does only amp models, like AmpliTube, and add it to your computer. That is still a hell of a lot cheaper than shelling out US$679.00 for a Palmer.

Now, for playing live and going direct, there is no substitute for a good speaker simulator like the Palmer.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Honestly, there's no point splashing out on fancy hardware gear. If you're recording DI, you will most likely be doing it onto a computer using an audio interface. Just use some amplification (Amplitube etc).
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
redwirez IRs will do a lot of good, it's speaker-specific plug-ins for guitar and bass. lets you adjust mic placement and everything
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.