Hi im wanting to record guitar onto computer in very high quality and dry, i guess i need some kind of little box like the line 6 studio gx but im wondering if you can get the same result cheaper and more minimal, im not interested in software bundles or added effects I just wanted an excellent dry signal recorded so i can add effects later with software and be sure it will sound amazing.

Thanks
Go read the interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
IMO Line 6's range of interfaces are anything but high quality. Going cheaper than the GX is not gonna get you a good quality recording.

General rule is high quality OR cheap, pick one.

However if you're willing to pay a bit more you can get very good results with one of these http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4 the AD conversion and preamps are miles ahead of the line 6 stuff and it's just an all round better product. Nothing in the price range can really beat it, in my opinion of course.
Quote by pxr5
im wondering if you can get the same result cheaper and more minimal, im not interested in software bundles or added effects I just wanted an excellent dry signal recorded so i can add effects later with software and be sure it will sound amazing.

Here you go, sir:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-To-PC-MAC-USB-Interface-Audio-USB-Guitar-Link-Cable-Recoding-UK-Delivery-/300903008366?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item460f37886e

If you can't afford £8.75, you might as well give up! It's nothing special but it gets a nice clean guitar signal to the PC just fine.

Betws Y Coed, eh? Used to go there as a kid, there was a little train musuem. Is that awesome ice cream place still there?
Quote by GaryBillington
Go read the interfaces sticky.

Thanks, not looked there yet but i figured i needed specific help and all i keep seeing at forums is "buy a line 6 pod" or something similar but im not interested in paying for effects and other fancy stuff.

Quote by dannycasevnx
IMO Line 6's range of interfaces are anything but high quality. Going cheaper than the GX is not gonna get you a good quality recording.

General rule is high quality OR cheap, pick one.

However if you're willing to pay a bit more you can get very good results with one of these http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4 the AD conversion and preamps are miles ahead of the line 6 stuff and it's just an all round better product. Nothing in the price range can really beat it, in my opinion of course.

thanks good to know thats the case, and the one in the link is what i was reading about last week.
Im surprised to hear that things like the Behringer USB interface must sound bad compared to the Scarlett, interesting to know it takes some expensive circuitry just to get a true dry tone.
thanks
Quote by kyle62
Here you go, sir:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-To-PC-MAC-USB-Interface-Audio-USB-Guitar-Link-Cable-Recoding-UK-Delivery-/300903008366?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item460f37886e

If you can't afford £8.75, you might as well give up! It's nothing special but it gets a nice clean guitar signal to the PC just fine.

Betws Y Coed, eh? Used to go there as a kid, there was a little train musuem. Is that awesome ice cream place still there?

Yea me too ive been there lots and almost moved there once but never lived there, im from Manchester really but its my second home Wales, it just looks so different to England, very antiquated.

I was just saying to the other guy that im not sure if those interfaces are good enough for high quality recordings, i dod read they are very good and ive heard the results and it sound pretty good, but im really asking what you need to pay to get a true dry recording, the interface you mention is what i thought i needed for a long time until i starting reading about studio quality recordings.
I thought I should make some demo tracks of the Line 6 PODStudio UX1 to show people what it's like.
Then I got distracted.
After a while I decided I should make those demos.

So, please excuse the playing (I'm knackered), but here are some recordings; one without any messing with and one with GearBox amp simulation.

Clean:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/really-rough-ux1-demo
Amp Sim:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/ux1-demo-2

The amp is a "1974 Rock Classic" (Ampeg SVT) through an "8x10 Classic" (Ampeg 8x10) with no extra effects.

Internet cookie to anyone who guesses the song lol
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I thought I should make some demo tracks of the Line 6 PODStudio UX1 to show people what it's like.
Then I got distracted.
After a while I decided I should make those demos.

So, please excuse the playing (I'm knackered), but here are some recordings; one without any messing with and one with GearBox amp simulation.

Clean:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/really-rough-ux1-demo
Amp Sim:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/ux1-demo-2

The amp is a "1974 Rock Classic" (Ampeg SVT) through an "8x10 Classic" (Ampeg 8x10) with no extra effects.

Internet cookie to anyone who guesses the song lol

Hey thanks, it sounds quite good for a quick demo but im trying to find out how to get a high quality clean dry tone for processing later with software that doesnt need to rush and process the effects and theres almost zero noise so when you duplicate tracks you dont get unwanted distortion and noise.

i believe these line 6 units can achieve great effects and recordings but i wanted something thats dedicated to recording, line 6 seem to be more for live playing, and all i need is a dry signal not all the effects im paying for.
Last edited by pxr5 at Jul 2, 2013,
Quote by pxr5
Thanks, not looked there yet but i figured i needed specific help and all i keep seeing at forums is "buy a line 6 pod" or something similar but im not interested in paying for effects and other fancy stuff.

You'll get the opposite response here. Most of the regs hate the POD.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You'll get the opposite response here. Most of the regs hate the POD.

I dont need one so ive never looked into it, im sure the dry signal is nice but not great for recording and mixing.
It's not. The Dry signal is muddy as all hell.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's not. The Dry signal is muddy as all hell.

I also get bad vibes with that behringer usb, wouldnt it be far better to buy a small cheap amp and use that as an interface for a good dry tone for recording?

all seems like overkill these units, the best recording ive heard were done on a tape recorder so im sure you dont need £100+ just to get a proper guitar signal into your computer, i always hear nasty colours in peoples recording, and very digital sounds and thin bass and im just pretty sure its over processed, i could be wrong but i figure if you concentrate on the best possible dry tone everything after it like effects will sound amazing and not just good.
Quote by pxr5
interesting to know it takes some expensive circuitry just to get a true dry tone.
thanks

the two big things that will make a difference and cost you some money are the preamps and the A/D conversion. making something that does not add noise when you turn it up (like a preamp) is surprisingly hard. just think of turning up a cheap radio, it adds lots of noise to whatever it is playing. for A/D conversion, the accuracy costs money.

that said, you can get something that will work very well and wont break the bank. this stuff has come a long way in the past decade or so.
Quote by pxr5
I also get bad vibes with that behringer usb, wouldnt it be far better to buy a small cheap amp and use that as an interface for a good dry tone for recording?

all seems like overkill these units, the best recording ive heard were done on a tape recorder so im sure you dont need £100+ just to get a proper guitar signal into your computer, i always hear nasty colours in peoples recording, and very digital sounds and thin bass and im just pretty sure its over processed, i could be wrong but i figure if you concentrate on the best possible dry tone everything after it like effects will sound amazing and not just good.

Have you read the Interfaces sticky yet? That would have answered most of your questions.

However, surely you can understand that a £100+ interface will provide better quality than a guitar link costing under a tenner?

Look at it this way - you're obviously a guitarist, so I'll speak in guitar terms. With the Behringer guitar link, you're getting something like an Encore strat copy. It'll get you started, but there's no way it will provide the same quality as if you invested in a genuine US built Fender Strat. If the cheap guitars were as good as the expensive ones, companies like Fender, Gibson & Gretsch would go out of business within weeks.

The same goes for recording equipment. Do you think companies would continue to make £100+ interfaces if something that cost under a tenner was just as good?

And no, a small cheap amp will not help in any way whatsoever.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you read the Interfaces sticky yet? That would have answered most of your questions.

However, surely you can understand that a £100+ interface will provide better quality than a guitar link costing under a tenner?

Look at it this way - you're obviously a guitarist, so I'll speak in guitar terms. With the Behringer guitar link, you're getting something like an Encore strat copy. It'll get you started, but there's no way it will provide the same quality as if you invested in a genuine US built Fender Strat. If the cheap guitars were as good as the expensive ones, companies like Fender, Gibson & Gretsch would go out of business within weeks.

The same goes for recording equipment. Do you think companies would continue to make £100+ interfaces if something that cost under a tenner was just as good?

And no, a small cheap amp will not help in any way whatsoever.

yea I read that sticky and I get it now, i see its not just a case of a simple cable and you need to pay for your clean signal, makes sense. thanks for your input guys, i must be going blind cos i couldn't see that sticky even though its right in my face.
Quote by GaryBillington

Although I completely agree...the fact is that only recording engineers with decent monitoring would really hear the difference. The main problem with those Guitar Links is a lack of decent, dedicated drivers. The AD/DA conversion is far from stellar but it does a perfectly adequate job.

When you consider a £100 interface typically packs in two mic preamps, phantom power, hardware monitoring, as well as two guitar inputs....£10 for just a single guitar input with digital converter sounds about right.
Quote by kyle62
Although I completely agree...the fact is that only recording engineers with decent monitoring would really hear the difference. The main problem with those Guitar Links is a lack of decent, dedicated drivers. The AD/DA conversion is far from stellar but it does a perfectly adequate job.

When you consider a £100 interface typically packs in two mic preamps, phantom power, hardware monitoring, as well as two guitar inputs....£10 for just a single guitar input with digital converter sounds about right.

The way ive been reading it is the guitar link is basically the cheapest way to get a proper guitar tone, but im guessing that when you start recording and layering tracks the noise will build up and show itself.