Hey,

I want to add a nice phase effect to my tone, mostly for a nice extra for clean sounds, and for a few songs it would be really cool to have a more extreme kind of phase with distortion. The MXR Phase 90 is nice for the second option, but it is not really versatile.. So: what phase pedal can give me both?

I'd like it to be around $150 (or lower). I play mostly rock and metal.
http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/byoc-phase-royal-pre-built-pedal

Comes out to right around $150 after shipping. I've had one for about 6 months now, and it's hands down the best phaser I've ever played with. At least, for the sound I'm going for.

I love the sound of the script Phase 90, but I wanted more control. This pedal is exactly that.

You might be able to find it cheaper from a dealer here in the US, but I've bought three prebuilt BYOC pedals from this place and am completely satisfied with their service and how well they put them together.
I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with a higher sticker price if you want something more versatile than the MXR. I recommend the Red Witch Deluxe Moon phaser - simply outstanding! Unfortunately, it will probably run you twice as much as your budget. Most of the phasers in that price range (Boss, MXR, EHX, etc.) are remarkably similar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd like to try one of those BYOC pedals, but I want to try them first before I have them shipped..

Yes, I have looked at that one too, the Red Witch Moon phaser is really awesome, but can you get those spacey distortion sounds out of it? By the way, I've seen the Boss PH-3 on some pedalboards (like John Petrucci's), how about that one? It is versatile and not that high a price
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
Personally, I like the Boss chorus pedal. I do not think it is as lush or as expressive as a higher-end model like the Red Witch, but it isn't bad. On the other hand, I don't think that it is appreciably better than the MXR offerings. Ditto the DigiTech, except that the DigiTech has a preset knob that allows you to select from a number of chorus effects with a simple turn of the knob. You'll find a great deal of disdain for mainstream pedals like Boss and DigiTech on these forums, but they work. Your best bet is to try one out and see if it does what you want it to do. One thing to remember: a lot of pedals - Boss and DigiTech are among the worst offenders - go through 9-volt batteries like a crackhead goes through crack. You might want to look into a power supply such as MXR's Brick, or perhaps a powered pedal board. They'll save you a fair amount of money in the long run.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 4, 2013,
Hardwire make a phaser.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-hardwire-series-sp-7-stereo-phaser-guitar-effects-pedal

All of their pedals are excellent value in my experience, I don't think you can go too wrong.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wow, NakedInTheRain was right, the PH-3 is shit :O oh I like simplicity on my pedals, (not because I'm ******ed, I'm just lazy).
I'm kind of traumatized by the PH-3, so I'd rather search for other phasers than Boss...
Those Blackout Effectors are really nice, however a little over my budget, but I guess all phasers are haha, (damn I have an expensive taste)

@FatalGear41: I'm talking about phasers, but thanks for your advice on chorus pedals
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
don't be put off boss because of the ph-3. remember what i said, the ph-1r is the best pedal phaser i've played, and i've gone through heaps. boss's old made in japan modulation pedals are, as a rule of thumb, fantastic.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
don't be put off boss because of the ph-3. remember what i said, the ph-1r is the best pedal phaser i've played, and i've gone through heaps. boss's old made in japan modulation pedals are, as a rule of thumb, fantastic.

It's actually kind of funny how far they've fallen. As you say, their Japanese stuff is for the most part legendary. CS-2? CE-1/CE-2?

Even the Japanese GE-7 EQ I used to have from them was way quieter than the Taiwanese GE-7 I had.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Timon 95
@FatalGear41: I'm talking about phasers, but thanks for your advice on chorus pedals

Too much liquor and work!!! Replace "Phaser" for each "Chorus" entry!

Thanks for catching it!
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 4, 2013,
Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter. You get a lot of control over the phasing parameters, and a used one might be in your budget.
Hahaha, I know what you mean, FatalGear41, I should have known, and thanks again!
And I'll try some other Boss products then...
So the moral of this story is: look for used phasers, right? First I'll check out the rest of the above mentioned.
Gear: