Hey guys! Im looking for the best mic to record acoustic guitar (specifically a martin hd35). I have 200$ to spend and want a really nice sounding mic that can handle the bass of my guitar. Also im looking for a mic to record vocals. I would like to spend about 200$ on this as well. I am a male if that makes any difference. Last question, would i be better off just getting one mic around 400$ to record both acoustic and vocals and if so, which mic? Thanks!
If you were going to buy one mic, I'd say it's going to be a condenser. It will work equally well on your acoustic and your vocals. If you could just bump up your budget a tad more, you could afford a Neumann TLM102.

You would also do well with an ElectroVoice RE20. It's not a condenser, but it works great on vocals and acoustic instruments. Also is designed to work well with guitar cabs. It's within your budget. Let me poke around a bit and see what else might work.
There are many, many ways to do what you want to do. Unfortunately part of finding out what's best for you comes from experimenting.

One suggestion I have for you is to get a nice small diaphragm condenser for your guitar, there are a lot of them out there...if you want specific recommendations I can give some... and then my gut says a dynamic for your vocals. So many people want a large diaphragm and, sure, they look sexy... but a lot of times a dynamic can do a better job. This is specifically if you want to record both at the same time.

Another suggestion I have is to get a pair of mics, be it LDCs or SDCs, and use them as a stereo pair to capture your whole performance (vocals and guitar simultaneously) in a stereo pattern. This is my preferred method of recording.

If you're comfortable doing it in multiple takes, which most people aren't, then you could spring for a nicer LDC which would do a decent job on both your vocals and your guitar individually OR if you don't mind mono (which I do) you could use that single mic to capture the whole performance and balance yourself.

There are so many options. What sounds closest to what you think you might want?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think the second method you gave would be the best for me. I would like to record in one take and want the best possible sound.. I already have a low end dynamic that i really dont like and sounds like garbage. Any suggestions on the two condenser mics? thanks for your help
You might find an AKG C214 within your budget. I believe they are the budget version of the 414, which is fantastic! The perception range is also pretty decent for the price.

SE have some mics in that price range as well, and from what I hear they do an excellent job.
Yeah, up for sE Elentronics!

The sE2200a II is a multi-pattern condenser which goes for less than €300 and will probably be enough until you'll want to track something like a whole band.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tim_mop
You might find an AKG C214 within your budget. I believe they are the budget version of the 414, which is fantastic! The perception range is also pretty decent for the price.

SE have some mics in that price range as well, and from what I hear they do an excellent job.

The c214 is indeed a padless, single polar pattern version of the 414. It sounds pretty similar and is a good deal. I wouldn't necessarily use it to capture a whole performance but it does do great things on vocals and is solid on guitar.

TS if you wanted to spring for one mic that would be one of my suggestions.

FWIW, this is what the set up you thought you might like sounds like: http://www.zachfichterstudios.com/media/liam/In%20My%20Solitude.mp3
It's my favorite as well. I did that with a $150 pair of SDCs.

We have a set of AT4041s in our music lab for gen ed recording students to use and they seem to do a pretty good job. They're aren't flattering in any way, they're pretty flat across the board, but they work well enough. I'd grab a pair of them and then you can experiment. One on vox and one on guitar or stereo pair or just one.

A pair of figure 8 mics is another, more expensive way to go. Unless you want to go Studio Projects B3 or CAD M179....that will leave you even MORE choices.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Sweetwater has the cardoid SE2200a for $250 at the moment. You could grab that along with a nice small-diaphragm pencil condenser like an Avantone CK-1. That'd cover all your bases and get very nice sounding results.
In my opinion, the multi pattern option is one of the 2200a selling points, you shold get that instead of the condenser only version.

With the multi pattern you could, say, record a full acoustic session just placing the mic in the middle of the room with everyone pointing at it.

It's also way less expensive than to buy 3 single-pattern microphones you probably won't use together.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
In my opinion, the multi pattern option is one of the 2200a selling points, you shold get that instead of the condenser only version.

With the multi pattern you could, say, record a full acoustic session just placing the mic in the middle of the room with everyone pointing at it.

It's also way less expensive than to buy 3 single-pattern microphones you probably won't use together.

The mic is a condenser regardless of the pattern... did you mix up 'cardioid' and 'condenser'?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Spambot_2

The Avantone CK-1 I recommended alongside it comes with 3 interchangeable capsules...
Quote by DisarmGoliath
The mic is a condenser regardless of the pattern... did you mix up 'cardioid' and 'condenser'?

Yes, cardioid, sorry :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola