G&L ASAT Classic Tribute.

Tone Clip

Doug at the store playing through a Eli's supro that's been modd'd with an old 12" jensen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVawZGJGWQ0

I am a fan of the MFD pick ups. Magnetic Field Design (MFD) are exclusive to G&L, they allow you to adjust pole pieces individually for fine tuning. To me they have a good hi-fi type of sound to them, sort of like a post production sound tele if that makes any sense. I've had the bridge pup in another G&L in the past and fell in lust with them. the neck pup is very clear but retains a great vintagy feel. They sound rediculous with a slide and some dirt. I'll never understand why people take these pick ups out of anything.

The body is 2 nice pieces of ash, maple neck with a vintage tint and gloss. there is a little bit of birdseye and flame in it but nothing crazy. just enough to make it look natural. Tuners feel decent, bridge is solid, brass saddles (a personal favorite of mine) electronics work well and the pots feel new.

Neck is dead straight, no buzz really, action came set up fine for me. I checked the intonation and it needs a tweek on a couple strings. easy enough to fix. I did buy used.

FULL SPECS
CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
SCALE: 25 1/2"
PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ single coils made in Fullerton, California
BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash on translucent and burst finishes
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8"
NECK RADIUS: 9"
NECK PROFILE: medium C
FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel
TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
BRIDGE: traditional boxed-steel bridge with individual brass saddles
CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone

FIT AND FINISH
I'm so impressed by a guitar that comes with a receipt for $325. (used purchase) Granted these get the USA G&L electronics and pick ups, and get inspected and set up here in the US. The fretwork is as good as i've seen, no bullshit.

The guitar isn't very heavy, my tokai TE50 and MIM Fender tele were both heavier than this guitar. I will scale it at some point because i'm weird about knowing what my guitar weighs.

Here's the bad part...

I know, it's going so well why the drama?

The guitar was in another state and the store (big chain guy) shipped it to my house. They failed to get it in it's gig bag before packing and shipping, had they i wouldn't have this blamo. I talked to my local sales guy and told him about it, texted him pics and described how it was packed. He said just bring it in with the packing and we'll figure something out. I know they are good guys and will work with me on it so i'm not worried. The real bummer is i can't find another single ding on it, so she was pristine when i paid for it. The finish repair guy they use is good, so i'm hoping they will just fix it. if for any reason they won't fix it and want to just settle (and give me some money back) i'll probably strip this beauty and put a thin nitro finish on the body.

shit happens sadly.

Thanks for checking her out!

I'm going to eat pizza now while you check out teh G&L.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 5, 2013,
I like it !! ..... that black PG looks way better than my Tortois shell combo .... bummer on the shipping incident
Bet she sounds niiiiiiiice...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
And in butterscotch or blonde or whatever the hell it is?

Hot damn.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
thanks guys, it sounds sweet and is quite the looker in the 50's butterscotch/black look for sure.

yeah it's a bummer about the shot it took. it's in a good spot for a ding, it would suck if it was on the top edge. i can't get too worked up about it, it is what it is. i have faith my guys will make good. i'm good to them, my purchase history there is pretty solid.
Looks like a nice instrument. If I remember right, the Tribute series is to G&L what MIM is to Fender. Though I'd probably pick up one of these if given the choice. That guitar seems to scream "Ventilator Blues" to me.
Congrats!

Love the MFDs and that is the 2nd best Tele finish and PG combo. Re-finish that with Nitro and you'll up the mojo and maybe sell it to Tom.

BTW, all my guitars shipped from Japan have been accident-free because of the insane packing skills of the Japanese.

Interesting on the pups. HNGD. Bummer on the damage. that was no guitar player that sent it without the bag...

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I've always wondered how those Classic Tributes handle gain. I've been watching the Special Tribute myself, but the Classic models pop up a lot more frequently and they cost a fair bit less.
'Hello, Police? Yes. There's a man climbing a tree with a guitar in his hand. Yes, he's naked.'

HNGD! It looks pretty awesome.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
'Hello, Police? Yes. There's a man climbing a tree with a guitar in his hand. Yes, he's naked.'

"Are you sure it's a guitar?"
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

sweet

sucks about the ding
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
thanks izzy

it's no custom shop jr but i like it.

That's what counts! Everyone needs a decent Tele.
I think the ding should stay.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Thanks everyone!

Quote by Fenderexpx50
Looks like a nice instrument. If I remember right, the Tribute series is to G&L what MIM is to Fender. Though I'd probably pick up one of these if given the choice. That guitar seems to scream "Ventilator Blues" to me.

i've had a couple MIM teles over the years and i'd saw the tribute series are a step up from them. especially electronics and fit and finish of the neck/body.
Quote by R45VT
Interesting on the pups. HNGD. Bummer on the damage. that was no guitar player that sent it without the bag...

i'm guessing a drummer.

Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

Love the MFDs and that is the 2nd best Tele finish and PG combo. Re-finish that with Nitro and you'll up the mojo and maybe sell it to Tom.

BTW, all my guitars shipped from Japan have been accident-free because of the insane packing skills of the Japanese.

same here! they even wrap the damn strings in bubble wrap.

if the store doesn't want to fix it, a nitro refinish on the body is eminent.

Quote by samuraigoomba
I've always wondered how those Classic Tributes handle gain. I've been watching the Special Tribute myself, but the Classic models pop up a lot more frequently and they cost a fair bit less.
the best slide tone i've gotten is with a fair amount of gain with the same pick ups as this guitar, so i think it handles gain very well.

Quote by Mephaphil
I think the ding should stay.

to one degree or another it will always be there. even if i refinish it there will be some tell tale sign there where it's been whacked.

it's officially a birthmark.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 3, 2013,
I kinda skimmed the story and I thought it was used for some reason.

Yea, definitely get it replaced. **** that.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I had mine first

I know you're enjoying it if it's anything like mine. Great guitars, especially great for playing some Springsteen!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You cannot go wrong with a good G&L ASAT! HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Mephaphil
I kinda skimmed the story and I thought it was used for some reason.

Yea, definitely get it replaced. **** that.

it was used.

after discounts, deductions and taxes it costed me a whooping $275.

i'm totally fine with that.

Quote by JustRooster

I had mine first

I know you're enjoying it if it's anything like mine. Great guitars, especially great for playing some Springsteen!

dat ash. i didn't realize we were going to be twinsies.

yeah it's silly. when i showed the ding to the guys at my local store they checked out the guitar and immediately understood why i wanted to keep it.

they all wanted me to return it.

Quote by FatalGear41
You cannot go wrong with a good G&L ASAT! HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!

i def have been so far. stupid nice guitar.
I don't know what's wrong with me. Just ignore me.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

yeah it's silly. when i showed the ding to the guys at my local store they checked out the guitar and immediately understood why i wanted to keep it.

they all wanted me to return it.

That's a good sign!

You should be in bed!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jul 5, 2013,
I always described the MFD's to people as 'very transparent and broad.' This video does that justice. I've got a really good recording of the MFD's in my special on my drunk cover of Blue Sky.

https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/get-drunk-play-some-allman

Excuse the dead notes, the Rum was really calling to me that night.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 5, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster

https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/get-drunk-play-some-allman

Excuse the dead notes, the Rum was really calling to me that night.

that sounds awesome. i respectable allman tone for sure. or was that the rum?

i've got a slide video to upload next. it's short but sweet.

that's a good way to describe the MFD's. i would tend to use words like thick, clear and not overly bright which is pretty much saying the same thing. hi-fi sounding, but not in a bad way like i said.
Rum is good stuff, I had some for the first time today and I'm convinced I'd become an alcoholic if I had access to it every day.

Anyway my next purchase is pretty well settled between a Danelectro '69 reissue, Asat Special Tribute or Ibanez Artcore AS-73. That Asat Special Tribute is calling me, hopefully I'll have enough cash come the fall to finally get one.

These Asats really seem to be something special, especially for the price.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Jul 6, 2013,
Always liked this colour scheme on Teles!

HNGD, make that thing twang!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thanks, looks like it's getting a refin. my summer project 2013... or maybe 2014

shit the slide video isn't up yet.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 6, 2013,