Page 1 of 12
I liked the British version of Top Gear since I can remember first watching it. I have also watched the US version. Countless rip offs of the UK Top Gear. There is a British episode where they buy trucks, and then have challenges. Sure enough, the US comes up with a episode similar. They have a hill start challenge, and an item of personal value to the driver is placed behind the truck. First guy to go makes it up the hill fine, but the other presenters destroy his object to make it look like he hit it. The similarities continue as they have to drive along a course, and they carry loads of precious cargo. One host has a fire/heat device and very explosive/flammable material near it. The host arrives with his trailer on fire/exploding. And later, the presenter clips a parked car. All of this stuff is a detailed rip off of episodes of British Top Gear. There is more rip offs too. A British episode where they add a RV kind of thing to the top/back/side of their cars and have to go camping in them. Jeremy has a car with a large structure on top, James has a pod kind of thing on top, and Richard's is compact, but is built to be expanded. And Tanner's car has the pod, Adam has a large structure, and Rut has a car that expands out. Coincidence?

I know I am missing the point of the show, but I can help but notice how many things are copied from the British show. And does Top Gear USA do car reviews? I don't I have seen an episode recently where they did. I really love TGUK, but it is hard to see them have their show stolen and badly reproduced by America
Top Gear UK most likely allowed the new versions and probably gets paid handsomely for it.

Just be happy that UK is still going strong.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I'm actually watching the UK one now.

US version stinks. But yea, that ^
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
You can't force chemistry. There's a reason Top Gear UK has had Clarkson, Hammond, and May for so long, and Top Gear US has been met with such disgust. There's zero chemistry between the hosts, and as mentioned in OP, it's just a cringe-inducing reenactment of Top Gear UK.

It's an awful show and they should feel bad.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
funniest episode is where they cross the desert and clarkson trys to fry eggs on his car... and fails
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Is that not what foreign versions usually do though. I've seen clip from the American Inbetweeners and the jokes are exactly the same just with slightly different wording.

However you are correct Top Gear USA is pretty bad.
The American Top Gear would be good if it was 3 friends who were knowledgeable about cars and didn't give a **** about companies or political correctness.

Part of the fun of the UK Top Gear is they legit don't give a **** about what people think. Call any car garbage if they are inclined to. Do stupid shit not cause you're forced to, cause you want to. Make fun of entire races or countries for laughs. Like the Chinese Stig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4Z5FCoW8M
Last edited by DukeDeRox at Jul 3, 2013,
I love top gear but the American and Australian versions are totally shite
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I love top gear but the American and Australian versions are totally shite

i had no idea there was aussie version

have they driven any of the mad max police cars yet?
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Jul 3, 2013,
Quote by cha33 armstrong

They were in an episode of UK Top Gear. They flipped the cars upside down so they would feel at home.

Cause Aus is upside down dumb dumb
Quote by cha33 armstrong

have they driven any of the mad max police cars yet?

IDK it was too cringy to watch ;_;
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by DukeDeRox
The American Top Gear would be good if it was 3 friends who were knowledgeable about cars and didn't give a **** about companies or political correctness.

Part of the fun of the UK Top Gear is they legit don't give a **** about what people think. Call any car garbage if they are inclined to. Do stupid shit not cause you're forced to, cause you want to. Make fun of entire races or countries for laughs. Like the Chinese Stig.

exactly

The US guys have no chemistry and they're all too scared of "offending" anyone.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by DRMguitar
And does Top Gear USA do car reviews? I don't I have seen an episode recently where they did. I really love TGUK, but it is hard to see them have their show stolen and badly reproduced by America

I think the problem here is funding. In the US, the show will live and die on its advertising. This means it is unable to go out and criticise a car or a manufacturer quite as much as the publicly funded UK version.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Kustom KGA 16R
Quote by DRMguitar
I really love TGUK, but it is hard to see them have their show stolen and badly reproduced by America

As long as Top Gear UK stays the same, I will hardly be annoyed by someone else making a bad copy, I just don't watch it. Thankfully UK is growing more "mature", I like Clarkson's definition of "mature". Whatever that may be
Quote by Skynyrd890
You can't force chemistry. There's a reason Top Gear UK has had Clarkson, Hammond, and May for so long, and Top Gear US has been met with such disgust. There's zero chemistry between the hosts, and as mentioned in OP, it's just a cringe-inducing reenactment of Top Gear UK.

This.
I watched half of an episode of Top Gear USA. Never again.

However, Top Gear UK is my favourite automotive show, right alongside the /DRIVE network.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by little_boy
As long as Top Gear UK stays the same, I will hardly be annoyed by someone else making a bad copy, I just don't watch it. Thankfully UK is growing more "mature", I like Clarkson's definition of "mature". Whatever that may be

THIS! I reckon season 20 will be quite spectacular. I just hate the fact that I have to download the episodes, since they haven't even shown season 19 in Finland yet..
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
****ing love Top Gear. For all the silliness and jokes it's a brilliant car show, and the chemistry of Clarkson, May and Hammond makes it more exciting to watch. Fifth Gear's good if you want facts and consumer advice, but Top Gear gives you the facts in a much less tedious way.
Adding nothing of major interest to topics on UG since March 03, 2007.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Just because you have skill doesn't mean you sound good.
Quote by Engel22
Top Gear gives you the facts

What!? Are we talking about the same program?
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell

To be fair, they do tell you the specs of some cars in between launching hatchbacks into caravans.
Quote by emhaslam
I think the problem here is funding. In the US, the show will live and die on its advertising. This means it is unable to go out and criticise a car or a manufacturer quite as much as the publicly funded UK version.

Top Gear USA is made by the BBC.
Quote by WCPhils
exactly

The US guys have no chemistry and they're all too scared of "offending" anyone.

Whereas we have the delight of watching that aging, fat one spout racist, sexist shite for money.
Quote by Skynyrd890

this this this
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by devourke
Top Gear USA is made by the BBC.

Produced by a commercial subsidiary of the BBC, they don't get there money from the general public like the BBC proper. They can't be as critical to the cars in case the advertisers pull out for giving 'bad' reviews.
Last edited by Malchius at Jul 3, 2013,
I've only seen the UK one. Some shows are really good, others are not so good. Sometimes I like JC, other times he really bothers me.
All the other versions are just complete shit. Can't beat the original. The hosts, the content, everything. The US and Australian versions make me cringe so hard it's unbearable.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by willT08
Whereas we have the delight of watching that aging, fat one spout racist, sexist shite for money.

I was talking more about the them reviewing cars but whatever
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
I was talking more about the them reviewing cars but whatever

*insert tedious whine about why I hate Clarkson and think Top Gear is crap, therefore nobody else should be allowed to like it either*
I am glad I am not the only one who dislikes Top Gear (UK at least).
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Quote by willT08
i didn't know they still actually reviewed anything. Clarkson's far too busy telling poor people they need to be lined up and shot. And the other two have their tongues too far down his asshole to say otherwise.

Bunch of pricks. The world would be a better place if Hammond had died and the other two lost their pathetic show so we never had to hear from them again. The only good thing about them is that they constantly do stupid shit in cars like 17 year olds who've just got their licence, meaning there's a heightened risk one of them will be put in a fucking coma every time they record an episode.

I didn't think anyone took Top Gear that seriously. From what I hear Clarkson is a massive prick, but who cares, it's entertaining.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Top Gear ams dildos.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by henrihell
Quote by Engel22
Top Gear gives you the facts

Yes.
Just this week's episode, you had a review of 3 affordable hot hatchbacks, the Peugeot 208 GTI, Renault Clio R.S. and the Ford Fiesta ST.

I'd love to own an ST in metallic dark blue...

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 3, 2013,
Quote by thefuzz454
I didn't think anyone took Top Gear that seriously. From what I hear Clarkson is a massive prick, but who cares, it's entertaining.

yep

A lot of football players are massive assholes but I still like watching them

^ Yea, that car is pretty sweet
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 3, 2013,
Why do I feel like I have to say this in every thread?

Go away, Will!
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by willT08
i didn't know they still actually reviewed anything. Clarkson's far too busy telling poor people they need to be lined up and shot. And the other two have their tongues too far down his asshole to say otherwise.

Bunch of pricks. The world would be a better place if Hammond had died and the other two lost their pathetic show so we never had to hear from them again. The only good thing about them is that they constantly do stupid shit in cars like 17 year olds who've just got their licence, meaning there's a heightened risk one of them will be put in a fucking coma every time they record an episode.

Did Clarkson hit your sensitive soft spot?
I hate tanner foust with a passion.

That is all.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I hate tanner foust with a passion.

That is all.

He's the only one who know what he's talking about AT ALL on the US one though. The other two are idiots
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
He's the only one who know what he's talking about AT ALL on the US one though. The other two are idiots

I know that. He's a Formula D driver and X games dude and whatnot.

I just hate him.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.