It pains me to have to do it, but due to a change in my living situation and income situation I am going to have to part ways with my Mesa Mark V combo in the coming weeks. I don't gig anymore and when I have played (which is rarely as of the last year) its been for maybe 20 minutes per week in my room.

I'm going to be in the need for something that is preferably direct to PC. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been out of the VST loop for about 8 or 9 years now so I have no clue what's out there that's worth a damn. Are there any newer audio interfaces or anything that has some pretty good rhythm tone or amp simulator? I play mainly progressive rock and thrash, lots of stuff like Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Rush, etc.
I don't know about many other options, but I bought a Mustang l. It's cheap. It connects directly to the PC and has free software for editing the presets. It can do any style of music reasonably well. I play drop tune type stuff myself and am satisfied considering.
Quote by D_M_I
I don't know about many other options, but I bought a Mustang l. It's cheap. It connects directly to the PC and has free software for editing the presets. It can do any style of music reasonably well. I play drop tune type stuff myself and am satisfied considering.

Hey I appreciate your input man! I have to say I'm probably looking more along the lines of something I can simulate with but I don't know where to begin looking. I don't want to spend more than $1k on something due to what's going on.
Thanks for the suggestion as well man.

I just read about something called Eleven Rack. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Quote by MegaDTSX
Hey I appreciate your input man! I have to say I'm probably looking more along the lines of something I can simulate with but I don't know where to begin looking. I don't want to spend more than $1k on something due to what's going on.

Lol, yeah I guess I misinterpreted what you were after. I was thinking cheap, not 1K
Quote by D_M_I
Lol, yeah I guess I misinterpreted what you were after. I was thinking cheap, not 1K

Yea, sorry man.

I'm going to get around $2k or just under on the amp and use part of that towards whatever I need to do to be more practical for my current situation.
Get a line 6 pod HD. They are USB plug and play to your computer. Great amp sims and effects.

It's the best value for modeling. You can get better but you have to spend 2K.

I use my XT with headphones for late night jamming.

I sold my mark V combo for 1800.

How old is your and what shape? I would try to get 1600 min even I it has signs of use.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 3, 2013,
With >$1600 you might be able to grab a used Axe-FX Ultra. But the Line 6 POD HD would be great, and leaves enough room for good headphones/monitors.

EDIT: There are a couple Ultras on Ebay right now for 1300-1400
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Last edited by bassmastamitch at Jul 3, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
Get a line 6 pod HD. They are USB plug and play to your computer. Great amp sims and effects.

It's the best value for modeling. You can get better but you have to spend 2K.

I use my XT with headphones for late night jamming.

I sold my mark V combo for 1800.

How old is your and what shape? I would try to get 1600 min even I it has signs of use.

It is 7 months old and I bought it new. Not a scratch on it.

I put it on Craigslist for $2000 OBO since I paid $2400 for it.

As for the PODHD: I have a Pod XT Live that I got way back long ago and it served its purpose back then but the amp simulation on it is horrible IMO. How do the newer PODs and PODHD's compare?
Quote by Arby911
If you've got a decent computer, check out Native Instruments Rig Kontrol/Guitar Rig system.

It's amazingly 'tweakable' and got a great footpedal/switch interface.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol/

I've heard a little about Guitar Rig 5, but I'm scared of VSTs on my computer because I keep having issues with them on Windows 8. I'm not ruling it out or anything though. Thanks
Quote by MegaDTSX
I've heard a little about Guitar Rig 5, but I'm scared of VSTs on my computer because I keep having issues with them on Windows 8. I'm not ruling it out or anything though. Thanks

In fairness I have not run it under W8, so can't address that but I note the specs page specifically lists 8 as an approved OS.

I'm a fan because it's a comprehensive system that's designed to work together, and IMO it does an excellent job. The fact that it can use 3rd party VST's is just icing on the cake.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
In fairness I have not run it under W8, so can't address that but I note the specs page specifically lists 8 as an approved OS.

I'm a fan because it's a comprehensive system that's designed to work together, and IMO it does an excellent job. The fact that it can use 3rd party VST's is just icing on the cake.

I'll keep it in mind as well.

Right now its looking like it'll be between the Eleven Rack, a POD HD or Guitar Rig 5.

Does anyone know the big differences between these? First and foremost I want as good of an amp simulator as I can get, other effects and modulation I can use my other pedals for.
Quote by MegaDTSX
It is 7 months old and I bought it new. Not a scratch on it.

I put it on Craigslist for $2000 OBO since I paid $2400 for it.

As for the PODHD: I have a Pod XT Live that I got way back long ago and it served its purpose back then but the amp simulation on it is horrible IMO. How do the newer PODs and PODHD's compare?

Go to guitar center and try some stuff out.

I like the HD unit and think its better than the modeling amps that are currently available. It's all personal opinion so plan on spending some time at your local store. The HD is much better than the XT, X3 if my memory serves me correctly.

Tips or selling your mark V- make sure you stress about how much warranty is left and how it transfers to the new owner.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'd suggest trying out a Boss GT-10 or GT-100 (both have built in audio interface) and maybe a H&K Tubeman/Blackstar HT-2or Sansamp GT-2 for more realistic distortion in the fx-loop. Personally, I don't like any of the modeler's take on high gain, including the Axe-FX.
**** guitar rig in its ass, same for revalver just right in the ass. I say pod xt, cheap and plentiful and actually sounds pretty good in the demos I have seen. I have used the first two and seriously **** them in the ass.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
**** guitar rig in its ass, same for revalver just right in the ass... I have used the first two and seriously **** them in the ass.

YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by losing battle
**** guitar rig in its ass, same for revalver just right in the ass. I say pod xt, cheap and plentiful and actually sounds pretty good in the demos I have seen. I have used the first two and seriously **** them in the ass.

Let me guess, you tried some of the metal presets and got turned off it? Right? You have to sit down a long while and tweak it to get some really decent sounds, but once you do it's excellent.

TS, with your budget I don't see why you couldn't go the Axe-Fx/Pod HD route. A HD500 is pretty much the same as the Pro, but the Pro has more flexible options for outputs. You get the option for footswitching out of the box and don't need to get a midi switcher. Again, this sort of thing takes time to tweak and get a decent sound. Depending where you are, they are well affordable.

Also I wouldn't advise on a Mustang...on your budget anyway.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt

x2

I thought they be trolling him at first. It's not a bad amp, but its just a modeler amp. There are better options available.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 4, 2013,
I never said it was a bad amp. For his budget, I wouldn't advise it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
I never said it was a bad amp. For his budget, I wouldn't advise it.

eh, that "bad amp" was just a statement, not aimed at you. I was agreeing with you completely.

Edit: I left off the "x2" part in the beginning... my bad....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
eh, that "bad amp" was just a statement, not aimed at you. I was agreeing with you completely.

Edit: I left off the "x2" part in the beginning... my bad....

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Let me guess, you tried some of the metal presets and got turned off it? Right? You have to sit down a long while and tweak it to get some really decent sounds, but once you do it's excellent.

TS, with your budget I don't see why you couldn't go the Axe-Fx/Pod HD route. A HD500 is pretty much the same as the Pro, but the Pro has more flexible options for outputs. You get the option for footswitching out of the box and don't need to get a midi switcher. Again, this sort of thing takes time to tweak and get a decent sound. Depending where you are, they are well affordable.

5 hours on each and not one decent tone, I guess they sound good if your borderline deaf.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
5 hours on each and not one decent tone, I guess they sound good if your borderline deaf.

Maybe you're not very good at tweaking. I've gotten great sounds of it, used it for practice and recording. Your failure to find something you like doesn't mean a product sucks.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by losing battle

So you've actually used a licensed version of Guitar Rig 5 pro with the Rig Kontrol interface?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't had any luck on Craigslist yet, but its only been two days and its a holiday week so....

Anyways, its between the Eleven Rack + Guitar Rig 5 or a POD HD right now.
Quote by MegaDTSX
Anyways, its between the Eleven Rack + Guitar Rig 5 or a POD HD right now.

Why both the 11R and GR5? Nobody's recommended that, or even the Eleven Rack in general.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
Why both the 11R and GR5? Nobody's recommended that, or even the Eleven Rack in general.

I didn't honestly see many negative things said about the Eleven Rack, but I'm completely open minded about all of this.

Let me ask this also: How much different is a POD HD500 compared to the older Pod XT Live? I had an XT Live and I never could get really good amp tones out of it. I have yet to try the HD500 though.
On here at least, the POD HD series has as good of a reputation in sound quality as the Eleven Rack, and the HD500 runs for cheaper. But the Axe FX beats them both.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by losing battle

All about the right impulses, guy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For the range of $1,000, I'd personally much rather go with an AxeFX or ElevenRack than a straight VST setup. I use VSTs every day but those rack units sound miles better than any VST. Especially with cleans and vintage tones. VSTs are good with high gain but they really drop the ball with low gain.

Don't get me wrong, VSTs are some of the best tones you can get for such a low price (a $100 interface + free Poulin plugins will slaughter any store bought $100 amp), but if you have $1,000 to blow then you can get much better stuff.

The ElevenRack can even act as a USB interface so you can still use VSTs for funsies if you go with ElevenRack.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 5, 2013,