I have been singing since I was little, i've always loved it. I have a pretty good range, I guess. And I play guitar (2 years or so) and piano (10 years).
I love playing and also singing but I can't write a song (lyrics OR music) to save my life. Every time I try, I hate what I write and find it unoriginal and not how I wanted it to sound.
I was wondering if anyone would want to do a collab. or does anyone know how I can learn to make my music sound how I want it to?
I can answer this one. Learning to write music begins with the basics. I could go into excruciating detail if needed, but the short version is: you need to know what sounds are available to know what you want! For example: if you were craving pizza, but didn't know what cheese, tomato sauce or pizza dough were, you'd have a hard time articulating your desires, right?

Same thing with music.

What you want to begin with is learning your diatonic scales and then harmonizing them. There are thousands of really good guides on the internet that show how to do this, so I'd suggest googling it, but what it does for you is give you the basic blocks with which you can do some beginning song writing.

From there (or assuming you already know that much) what you want next is to learn to appreciate intervals. For example, you have a simple song, like a I IV V in C, (which would be C major, F major and G major). Loop those chords and play your scale (in this case the C major scale or it's variants) and listen to how each note in the scale sounds when placed in the context of a certain chord. Some notes will sound better than others, which you will find helpful when constructing melodies.

Now to be clear what I've outlined above is some pretty substantial work. With that knowledge alone you could probably compose pretty much every song you like and a bunch others besides. But if you want to go a step further, you take all the rules you know, and you begin to systematically break them. Start adding in intervals that don't exist in the key you are playing in. Change the key entirely. Play juxtaposing scales over chords. Start substituting the chords themselves for other chords.

Again, I could go on. But the basics here still apply, you want a good grasp on the foundational material so that you can start building cool songs. So start by looking up a C major scale and start harmonzing it with extensions (I suggest going all the way the 13th, but just learning the 9s is almost always enough, but then I like jazz a lot, so take that with a grain of salt).
Last edited by notgoodatnames at Jul 4, 2013,