So, I have been trying to write my own music, but am struggling. Like, I used to be able to write the music part fine, and only had problems with lyrics.. but now I can't write either.

I end up getting frustrated and quitting. I don't have to worry about writing for a band or anything, since the only bands I could join are either my brother's band that never got going because they can't agree on anything, or this band that recently started up, but I don't want to be the youngest person in the band, and I have never worked with other musicians.

Anyways, people say stuff like I have to select a genre to write in, but I don't have a genre, I guess it is either a mix of genres, or no genre. I just haven't found a genre that I would want to stick with, because I love any music... except maybe screamo.

Any ideas on that? I can't find music or lyrics that sound good to me, even though they may sound good to other people, I can't use them if they don't sound good to me. Sorry if this is confusing...
Why would you have to select a genre? That makes no sense. I also have trouble writing on my own, but if I can find someone to work with, it goes much smoother. Find someone to jam around with, it will help immensely.
And record everything. I'm not talking about a fancy protools rig or anything, just hook a mic up to a computer or something. Save the ideas. I have an old tape recorder that does this for me.
Yes, jamming with other people or just improvising on your own and then recording is really helpful to come up with ideas.
What I do: once I have a riff or idea, I play it in my head, and think "what sounds good after this?" while trying to play it further, and then the path just opens up.. I hope you get the point haha
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
For me, I try to stay relevant to my situation. There's bound to be someone who's in the same boat. Lyrics and/or music reach people, even if its just yourself, one other person or millions. Conjure something from the heart, with no worries of what others think. Over time you'll get really good at it. Stay passionate my friend.
Thanks for the help, going to check if my ipod or android have a notepad type of thing on them, since tomorrow I am going to be gone for most of the day. Plus things seem to pop into my head at random, like even looking at something that seems pointless, then I forget about it later. I probably will come up with something since it is the 4th of July, going to a beautiful town, and the people are just interesting there.

Maybe I should carry around a mini note thingy.
Quote by ryanbwags
Why would you have to select a genre? That makes no sense. I also have trouble writing on my own, but if I can find someone to work with, it goes much smoother. Find someone to jam around with, it will help immensely.
And record everything. I'm not talking about a fancy protools rig or anything, just hook a mic up to a computer or something. Save the ideas. I have an old tape recorder that does this for me.

I've been in few bands, including black metal, and shit like puppy dog, rainbows, and unicorns, doesnt work well.