I have bought a Ibanez SZ 320 recently, it's used and modified (pickups are Tonerider something), now...all fine and dandy but the pickup wiring seems strange to me, I don't know if it's supposed to be like this since I've never played a stock ibanez sz320 but anyway the guitar comes with two humbucker and if i'm playing with the neck humbucker and I fiddle with the bridge humbucker tone knob it still affects the tone, and it's like that on all positions (neck, middle, bridge), both tone knobs (neck and bridge) are affecting the tone no matter what position i'm in, does that mean that both pickups are always engaged ? I've never played a guitar with this kind of configuration before, is it common ? the sound I get is reallyyyy fat and warm but i'm having a really hard time getting decent cleans out of it.
nah that sounds like something's wrong.

does the tone change when you switch pickup positions? that'd be the obvious thing to tell you if all the pickups are on all the time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Something is certainly screwy, as even if you had both pickups wired through both tone pots you should still be able to roll them both to full treble and get a good, bright tone. Get the wiring color code from tonerider and a diagram for HH with single volume and two tone pots and see what's wrong. Post pics if you need help.
Yeah it changes, neck bassier and bridge treblier as it's supposed to be but i find it weird that both tone knobs affect the tone in every position, if I roll the neck tone knob all the way down I get a very ''trebly'' sound, and if I roll the bridge tone knob all the way down I get a very bassy sound, no matter what position i'm in. I have to carefully blend them together to get a good tone.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Something is certainly screwy, as even if you had both pickups wired through both tone pots you should still be able to roll them both to full treble and get a good, bright tone. Get the wiring color code from tonerider and a diagram for HH with single volume and two tone pots and see what's wrong. Post pics if you need help.

My problem in not getting decent cleans is not due to the guitar lacking high frequencies, it's that the humbuckers seem really ''on steroid'' to me and they push everything into overdrive.
Quote by francesco18
My problem in not getting decent cleans is not due to the guitar lacking high frequencies, it's that the humbuckers seem really ''on steroid'' to me and they push everything into overdrive.

Humbuckers do that. You can always roll back your volume knob until your tone cleans up.

What kind of amp are you using anyway?
Are you sure they're both "tone" knobs? The stock guitar comes with 2 volumes and 1 tone. The previous owner clearly modified the electronics. It's likely that one of the knobs isn't a treble roll-off but something else entirely. It's not a neck tone control and a bridge tone control setup. That's clear from what you described. There's a master tone, a master volume, and something else. He changed one of the volume knobs to something else.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 3, 2013,
could you take a pic of the wiring? the better the pic the easier it is for us.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JELIFISH19
Are you sure they're both "tone" knobs? The stock guitar comes with 2 volumes and 1 tone. The previous owner clearly modified the electronics. It's likely that one of the knobs isn't a treble roll-off but something else entirely. It's not a neck tone control and a bridge tone control setup. That's clear from what you described. There's a master tone, a master volume, and something else. He changed one of the volume knobs to something else.

Oh well, I didn't know that; thanks. I'm going to upload a pic of the wiring as soon as possible thou.