Hello everyone. I'm sort of a beginner to guitar solos. I know the common pentatonic scale and I've learned a few simple guitar solos such as the one in In Bloom by Nirvana and Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins. They are slow paced and were easy to learn by ear. Recently I've finally been able to play the solo in Paranoid by Black Sabbath all the way through, and I'd like to find more solos at that level of difficulty to try to learn by ear (I used tabs for some of the Paranoid solo). I tried Carry on my Wayward Sun but I found it more difficult than I'm looking for. Can you guys help me find more solos similar in speed and difficulty as the solo in Paranoid?

TL;DR version: Need solos similar to the one in Paranoid, can you find me some?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm new to this forum.
Maybe try some Metallica. Kirk uses the minor pentatonic almost exclusively in his solos.

P.S. This should be in the "Suggest me a song" thread in Musician Talk.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Anything by AC/DC or Kiss
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah I don't know why I didn't just say that

TS I'm a bit puzzled as to why you've specified "pentatonic" solos, like the post above says a lot of classic rock solos will heavily feature the minor pentatonic scale. However most of them won''t solely consist of notes from that scale, there'll always be the odd note that doesn't fit the pattern. However that doesn't mean the solo is going to any harder technically or more difficult to learn. You can usually get a good idea of whether or not you'll be able to play a solo simply by listening to it, if you can follow all the notes and recall them from memory then you'll probably be ok learning it, if at any point you simply can't hear the sounds or tell what's been played then you're probably going to struggle.

Stairway to Heaven is another good one

The important thing to remember is that scales are about sound, not patterns. So the minor pentatonic pattern you've learned is simply showing you where you can find a certain set of sounds on your guitar. Likewise when writing a solo a guitarist doesn't think "what pattern do i use", they think "what do I want this to sound like" - it just so happens that the sounds you get from the minor pentatonic scale tend to fit well with rock music when used in the right way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com