So I've finally decided I want a powered pedal board and I'm looking to get a relatively cheap one. My question is about power supplies for pedals that have weird requirements.

Specifically, I'm thinking about my new Line 6 DL4. The power requirements listed are:

9VAC 1200mA minimum

I may be wrong here, but don't most pedals use 9VDC? Will a powered pedal board be compatible with this? Also, can I assume that any board will meet the mA minimum?

Any other pedal board advice is appreciated! I need something that can handle at least 6 pedals ranging in size from smallish to beastly. Thanks!
AC is wall power, as in, you plug the power pack thing in to the wall and it converts it if necessary to go to your pedals.
I think.
I just got a daisy chain and a cheap power adapter thing and set up my pedals in an old briefcase, saved like $200 :P
What pedalboard are you looking at? Does the DL4 come with its own power supply? You're not going to be able to daisy chain that pedal with anything else. Maybe your powered pedalboard will have like a powerstrip built into it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
google "gorm pedalboard" and see what you think. its from ikea and most people seem to like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's going to be really hard to define what kind of board you need without know the specific pedals you have and your budget. That said, for 5+ pedals (and at least one big one), I would really recommend either making your own, or getting an unpowered board and a separate power supply. A Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ will power your DL4 no problem. If you want to look into pedaltrain boards, this is a great site to work with.

http://pedalboardplanner.com/
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Trying to keep the budget... I was hoping well under $100. I'm seeing some powered boards online that would be big enough but I'm worried about the power situation, as I'm trying to keep that as simple as possible. For the record, I'm not anticipating heavy-duty serious gigging with this thing. Just want it to be able to stand up well to regular use jamming with buddies.

I like the GORM idea, though laziness preventing me from getting off my ass and doing it is a serious threat. The pedalboardplanner site also looks awesome for figuring out size requirements.

(For the record, my current other pedals are a Devi Ever fuzz, a crybaby and a POG 2. Am definitely anticipating expanding that in the near future.)
Then get off your lazy arse and do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
$100 is going to be really hard to do if you want room to grow and you want to buy your board. Best advice is either save up more, or buy a Visual Sound One Spot and then get off your ass and build a board.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
OK point taken haha, although half my problem with building one was just not knowing what I needed! I'm not the most tech savvy guitarist there is.

So if you would indulge me:http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/line-6-dl4-power/

Sounds like all I need is the adaptor in the combo pack linked on this page (and I see the same pack listed cheaper somewhere else) to make the DL4 work through the same power supply I'm using for all my other pedals yes? And that pack would include everything I'd need as far as power/electronics for the board itself yes?

Like I said, not tech savvy here, so apologies for my dumb, probably self-evident questions. I should actually be pretty comfortable putting together the board itself, its just electronics that go over my head.
Your issue to watch out for is the current draw on the DL4, 1200mA is huge and a lot of cheap supplies won't cut it. Look at the Diago power supply (not the micro one) for providing the juice you need at a good price.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Ugh, I'm seeing $100 for the power supply alone with the Diago. At that point, I'd probably just buy two of the 1700mA supplies and deal with it the second adaptor.

Actually, do I even need more than the 1700mA that the Visual Sound 1 Spot would offer? I have:

DL4 - 1200 mA
POG2 - 180 mA
Crybaby 535Q - ???
Hyperion fuzz - ???

I'm not having any luck finding the exact power requirements for the last two, but I imagine they'd be on the lower end, especially the Hyperion. How do I even find that? I've been searching online and in manuals and they both say 9VAC but don't give anything in terms of mA.
Last edited by sjada at Jul 4, 2013,
Quote by GABarrie
Your issue to watch out for is the current draw on the DL4, 1200mA is huge and a lot of cheap supplies won't cut it. Look at the Diago power supply (not the micro one) for providing the juice you need at a good price.

+1

Big digital modelers like that should have their own PSU, just to be safe.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hmm then maybe I'll just buy the power supply for the DL4 and get a cheaper power supply to daisy chain everything else...

In other news, the closest Ikea is in Boston (I'm never in Boston) and the only Gorm shelf I can find online is a 30x12.5 - way bigger than I need. Anyone know of the smaller Gorm shelves online anywhere?

(Btw thanks so much to everyone whose replied! Sorry for this barrage of questions! )
I would just get a used Gator board for cheap and spend the rest on power.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gator-Pedal-Tote-Pedal-Board-Gig-Bag-/231009115634?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c9375df2 (Might want to lint roll that haha)

I have on of those. Nice board. Most aren't inclined, which is stupid.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X