I got a heavier gauge pack of strings today (.013 to .056) and when I tuned it up, I found that I couldn't adjust the action. I use an Ibanez s470. I finally could move the action, but after a while a heard a POP and now it won't budge. Any help?
Last edited by awesomebro88 at Jul 4, 2013,
Why that thick for E?

Did the wood around a peg crack?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
ZR tremolo. I used that heavy for the E because I do drop tunings sometimes, but right now I'm using standard E
But guys that's not the big deal here, the big deal is I pulled the action to tight and now I can't move it.
you cant sometimes do drop tuning on a floating bridge they are best kept to one tuning or else you have to re baance the trem

now pictures would be best to help and im not too knowledgable the zr as ive never had to set one up
but look for cracks in the guitar nack near the posts or tuning machines
13s for E is pretty ridiculous. With a FR, you really can't switch between that vast of tunings like that without running into setup issues. For reference, I used 13s for B standard.

Its best to stick to one tuning with a FR -- and its also best to stick with a string gauge that provides the proper amount of tension.

What tunings do you play in?
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 4, 2013,
do yourself a favor, block the trem. I have my FR setup for E standard with a .10-.60 set.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I'll just add my weight and agreement to pretty much everything everyone else is saying.

You can't just change gauge on a floating trem; you need to adjust the spring tension.

Generally you can't swap tunings just like that on a floating trem (again, you need to adjust the spring tension) but I have an S470 with the ZR and the ZR is stable enough (if set up correctly) that I can switch between E standard and dropped D on the fine tuner without issue. I wouldn't want to do much more than that though. (I use SuperSlinkies).

Now, to your problem. I don't know what you mean by "pulled the action to tight". Action is something you raise or lower, not tighten or loosen. Heavier strings may need a higher action but I think the best thing by far would be if you could get pictures posted of what you were adjusting.
were you adjusting the truss-rod when you heard a snap? If so, you may have broke the truss-rod in which case you need a new neck unless you want to pay to have your Fixed (which will cost more than a new used neck.

Like has also been said, the bridge post could be messed up, I have an Ibanez JS-100 that has a post that is loose (a little epoxy and it is fine)

Have you looked inside the trem cavity at all?

I would suggest you take it to a tech and have them look at it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
First of all, thank you all for your help. I guess I should have stated it a bit clearer - I was lowering the action on the left side of the bridge. That knob became harder and harder to adjust, and then I heard a snap from the bridge. I could still adjust the action on the right side of the bridge, just not the left. And no, I never touched my truss rod.
Quote by awesomebro88
First of all, thank you all for your help. I guess I should have stated it a bit clearer - I was lowering the action on the left side of the bridge. That knob became harder and harder to adjust, and then I heard a snap from the bridge. I could still adjust the action on the right side of the bridge, just not the left. And no, I never touched my truss rod.

Your talking about the posts correct?
If so then I think you snapped the post possibly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Your talking about the posts correct?
If so then I think you snapped the post possibly.

Crap, will I have to get a new trem or is that repairable
I think you can break a trem just by putting 13-56 on it for standard right? I don't think that'd balance with 5 springs screwed all the way in!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by awesomebro88
Crap, will I have to get a new trem or is that repairable

Take it to a tech and have them give it a look. With out seeing it in person, I don't want to say that this is deff what is wrong. Have a pro look at it for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
just pray that u dont break something. 13's for standard .... that cant be healthy for any guitar.
buy thinner strings
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED