Hi all,
I was just curious and wanted to find out how others' critiques actually help you improve your music. Does it help at all? Does it provide any value? I have noticed that we are eager to get comments on our songs from others but we don't put much effort to critique others songs. And we tend to ignore comments that criticize our songs and instead focus on praises. So, I have started to question if critiquing has much value at all. Sorry, if I sound pessimistic . Maybe it's just me but I just wanted to hear others' opinions on this topic.
It really depends how well constructed the critique is and whether I agree with it. "This sucks" doesn't help me. "This sucks because I think it's too short" can be a hit and miss thing, if it's someone who's opinion I trust and I know they have similar musical values to me then I'll trust it. If I write a Hardcore punk song and some guy who's favourite genre is Black Metal makes a massive crit, I'm more inclined to take the critique with a grain of salt because of what they really like.

On a side note I absolutely hate it when people get bitchy because you make a critically negative comment on their music. There is nothing good to be found in blind praise. I'd be much have with a "This is really good but you could think about X and Y" than "This is awesome and you are obviously Jesus". The latter doesn't help ANYONE.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Stupid comments like "meh it sux lol" are... stupid. They do not help anyone whatsoever.

Good critiques though, like: "I really like the song, but I think the chord progression at bar 46 doesn't really fit in. Maybe you should change your Aminor7 for a regular Aminor, it would make the transition flow better". THAT is useful.

Praises like: "You obviously are God", "I loved the song so much, it's perfect!" is again helping nobody.

Then again, you have to take in consideration the general opinion of the music genre from the reviewer. If I wrote an old-school Death metal song and a Black Metal "elitist" comes in and says "sux, tune your guitar higher and play faster to be trve", well I would not really care for that comment. (Of course, no generalization intended).

Most of the time, well-constructed reviews are really helpful.
Ayy there
I think it's very usefull because it makes you aware of what you did more. The thing with writing and recording is that your ears get used to whatever you give them and eventually just accept.A fresh pair of ears is lovely to have arround in such cases, and while my dog and dad have a good set of ears they can't really give me any advice on the composition or mix. This is where you guys come in.

Also I think praise is helpfull at times because people often state something like "YEAH PART X". This helps me find out what parts my songwriting interest what people most. I'm writing for my own taste pretty mucj, but if incedentally can make something that people like that is surely a bonus.

I also believe that giving critique helps yourself because you become more aware of what a song does etc. And it's a genre-wide thing pretty much.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
I agree. It has a lot of value if it's done right. The reviewer must put in some thought and time in reviewing the song otherwise it's pretty much a waste. I also agree about the genre part. The reviewer must be into the same genre as the song he/she is reviewing. Otherwise, there is a bias. And it's better to not write anything at all rather than writing "it sucks" or "it's great".

I am thinking about creating a website dedicated to song critiquing. And I wanted to get some ideas on how to build a system so that great critiquing happens naturally and really helps the musicians. I appreciate all your feedback.
i'm at a point where i just ask for crits just to see if anyone will dig what i do. i rarely take really detailed criticism to heart, unless the criticism is something i was already wondering about - often times people think that if they say really detailed things like "i think the chorus should be shorter and you should add a solo at this spot and remove some of the instruments there" they're being really helpful, but it's hard to take that kind of criticism seriously unless that person is someone you know and respect (or at least if you're familiar with their music taste). i'm guilty of this too.

so really, the way i use C4C on this website is mainly just as a reality check/ego boost =P
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by untunedguitars
I am thinking about creating a website dedicated to song critiquing. And I wanted to get some ideas on how to build a system so that great critiquing happens naturally and really helps the musicians. I appreciate all your feedback.

that sounds awesome, i'd love to be a part of that. can you keep me updated?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!