Hi guys!
In a couple of months I'll be moving in to a smallish apartment with my non-metalhead girlfriend, so I'm looking to downsize my amp for practising.
I currently play through an old 6505 Head I bought second hand which obviously needs to be cranked to get a decent sound. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a practice amp that'll give me a broadly similar sound at much lower volumes?

Looking to buy - Small Practice amp, possibly a low wattage valve, must have 3 band EQ, effects loop and headphone output, preferably 2 channels.

Budget - £250 -£300

Music Style - Old & New Rock & Metal, AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, AiC, Alter Bridge, Anthrax, Dream Theater.

Current Gear - 6505 Head, Jackson RR3, SG copy, a couple of stomp boxes I'd like to use in an effects loop. Also in the process of fitting an Epiphone LP with some Dimarzio pups.

New/ Used - Probably looking at used for the budget, but if there's something new that's ideal but slightly over budget I can find more money.

I've considered an Orange Dark Terror but I don't think the tone controls are versatile enough for what I want.
Any suggestions?
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6
Digitech EX7 //Bad Monkey//Digidelay
MXR EVH Phase 90//Black Label Chorus
Peavey 6505 Head//Crate G412SL 4X12 Cab

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Peavey Tour 700 Head//410 TVX 4X10 Cab
Hear My Band
Bugera V22, Jet City 22H and a 1x12?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
In before some idiot insists that a 6505 is a bedroom amp because it has a master volume.
If you already have a good enough computer, you might want to go down the virtual amp route and spend the money on a little interface. That's sure to be quiet
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by jpnyc
In before some idiot insists that a 6505 is a bedroom amp because it has a master volume.

If you have some kind of level control in the loop - even a simple EQ pedal will do - to fine tune the volume, any amp - including the 6505 - can be a bedroom amp.

Since everyone should own an EQ of some sort, there is no problem here.

So I guess, in before some idiot insists that a 6505 can't be a bedroom amp because they are ignorant of methods of volume control.

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment btw.

TS, have you put new preamp tubes in lately? If your tubes are fine, and you feel that your 6505 needs to be cranked to get a good sound, then I suggest going digital because a traditional amp setup will just disappoint you.

v Yes, the Vypyr Tube is quite good. The 6505 model sounds like a generic boosted, recorded 6505 tone. Doesn't have the balls or grit of a real 6505 in your face, but it is refined and enjoyable. Very studio-ish tone.

I have the Vypyr Tube 120H model. It has two voluime controls, and I can easily dial it in to whisper volumes. No problem. Due to the nature of it's SS preamp, it sounds pretty much the same at whisper volumes and at drummer volumes. It takes most of the positive aspects of SS and most of the positive aspects of tube and merges them really well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 4, 2013,
^^+1 something like the hotbox attenuator/volume control in the loop works great ($30 on ebay).

TS may need to save space also so there maybe other reasons.

Peavey Vypyr 30 it has 6505 models

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is even better, but I'm not sure about low volumes. I think it also has a phone out jack.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 4, 2013,
Shit, just get a Fish and Chips. Awesome EQ and level control in one for only 30 bones.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Shit, just get a Fish and Chips. Awesome EQ and level control in one for only 30 bones.

This is a great suggestion then you have a pedal you can use for future things.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm the Bugera V22 looks kinda good, but anyone I know who's owned one has had them die on them. Not looking for another half stack set up so the Jet City's out.

My 6505 pre-dates the 6505+ models so there actually isn't a master volume, just a post gain which is too loud for an apartment after 1.5!

I might not have made the issue of space clear- I want a small practice amp. If there was room for a half stack I'd use the one I have and just fix a volume pedal at half way or get an EQ (which I'm looking for anyway).
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Some sort of Peavey Vyper sounds like a better option than Bugera, but I've owned quite a few Peavey amps for guitar and bass, was just wondering if there's any amps from decent brands that I may be missing out on?

Also my general PC status isn't anything like up to recording haha
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
a 22 and a 1x12 is hardly a half stack...
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Alright then a quarter stack since the cabs small. Still takes up more space than a combo!

Good girlfriends are harder to come by than good amps round here, she's staying!
Let's keep it on topic guys!
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Quote by NakedInTheRain
what you really need is a new girlfriend.

This, if she can't handle guitars. Then she's not the chick for you.
Quote by Sir Stoney
This, if she can't handle guitars. Then she's not the chick for you.

As much as this is not the place for counseling or reality checks, I have to agree... I simply could not imagine, nor could I live with anyone who did not understand the nature of GAS.

That that that's even the issue... or... yeah idk.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Didn't realise I'd asked this in the lawless wasteland of the pedalboard thread!
She's very sexy, a little geeky, quite posh and staying. Non negotiable.

Now can we get back to helping me grab an amp?
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Quote by Reddaz
Didn't realise I'd asked this in the lawless wasteland of the pedalboard thread!

My wife met me whule I played in a band 12 yrs ago. She hated that I was in a band about a year after. I quit bands for 2 yrs and then started up again and have not stopped since. You'll be fine man

Just don't sell your 6505 or anything like that

The Peavey Vypyr 30 is the cheapest amp I'd go if I were you. And you might like a POD HD300/400/500/desktop and a set of headphones or a powered wedge.

Even the POD XT/X3 live pedals would be good for practicing. I live in a place amps are never really useable at levels I like, so I bought a POD XT used for $75 ( I had a FVB shortboard )and it works great with a set of good studio headphones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wesbanez
Why is nobody suggesting Vypyr tube? You're not going to get better at bedroom levels.

It has been
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Reddaz

aww, you lurk us?

just for that, i'll second/third/whatever the vypyr 30.
Sell my 6505? Hahaha never! Pre+ are like hens teeth her in the UK, it's staying at my parents or my bands practice room for the foreseeable.

I lurked a bit whilst looking for pedalboard pics from guys in the know when I started building mine around Christmas. You guys are weirdly hilarious yet knowledgeable.

Peavey Vyper 30 may be the way to go then! Might look into a POD too if I can find one dirt cheap. Thanks guys!
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Quote by Reddaz
Sell my 6505? Hahaha never! Pre+ are like hens teeth her in the UK, it's staying at my parents or my bands practice room for the foreseeable.

I lurked a bit whilst looking for pedalboard pics from guys in the know when I started building mine around Christmas. You guys are weirdly hilarious yet knowledgeable.

Peavey Vyper 30 may be the way to go then! Might look into a POD too if I can find one dirt cheap. Thanks guys!

What do you mean pre+?
they have made the 6505 and the 6505+ for the same amount of time. The 5150 predates the 5150 II.

But good luck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jpnyc

by that logic nothing is a bedroom amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Take a look at the Yamaha THR10x. The Satchel video covers a few of your wants.
Quote by Robbgnarly
What do you mean pre+?
they have made the 6505 and the 6505+ for the same amount of time. The 5150 predates the 5150 II.

But good luck

I was under the impression that the 6505+ replaced the 6505 since there seemed to be more around more recently, and it has more channels and features than a 5150 since a normal 6505 was just a change of badge when EVH fell out with Peavey? I could be completely talking out of my arse though haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, despite all the features of a Peavey Vyper it all looks a bit too digital and with that many on board effects dare I say, a bit like a Line 6 Spider? Not too keen on the looks of the Yamaha THR10X either and the demo vids really put me off.

I friend of mine has recommended a Blackstar HT-1 1 Watt which I'll probably go over, but also considering a Blackstar HT Metal 1 or a Laney Cub 12 if I could find them cheap enough because they have similar features that I'm after. So essentially thanks for the help but I'm ignoring all of you!
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
the 5150 was re-named the 6505, the 5150 II was re-named the 6505+ when EVH left Peavey. The amps are identical besides the name. The original 5150 II was released after the 5150 in the 1990's

That is why the new EVH amp is the 5150 III (EVH owns the rights to the 5150 trademark)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jpnyc

I play a 6505+ in my apartment through an Orange 4x12 at speaking volume

Tone is still better than 95% of smaller amps because preamp is designed for metal

Can't get around that fact
Quote by jpnyc

No master volume on that amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
How about the new Laney Ti 15 112 combo 15w but also 1w inputs, fx loop, all tube

Although an obvious Iommi Signature amp the sounds from it are varied from nearly clean to bluesy rock, classic rock and metal

Cost £350 approx., try Andertons store Guildford
Quote by Sputnik1
You really care what the amp looks like?

I'm not usually that bothered about the aesthetics of an amp, but that Yamaha looks like a gas fire from a gypsies caravan. Checked out some of the demo's online and the sound's not right for me either.

Quote by Wolfie60
How about the new Laney Ti 15 112 combo 15w but also 1w inputs, fx loop, all tube

Although an obvious Iommi Signature amp the sounds from it are varied from nearly clean to bluesy rock, classic rock and metal

Cost £350 approx., try Andertons store Guildford

Although I'd love the idea of an Iommi signature amp and it has a lot of the features I'm after, that's quite pricey for a practice amp and Guildford's at the other end of the country. As an occasional Sunday school teacher my gf would also find the grill offensive so it's a bit of no go :-(
After a few more recommendations for the Blackstar HT-1 1 from local muso's I'll probably grab one of those cheap and cheerful little chappies!
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Who gives a **** its a ****ing amp tell her to drink some fooling concrete! This is Rock N Roll!
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Hayden Mofo 30 - can be switched to 2 watts specifically for bedroom levels
Quote by Reddaz
I'm not usually that bothered about the aesthetics of an amp, but that Yamaha looks like a gas fire from a gypsies caravan. Checked out some of the demo's online and the sound's not right for me either.

Although I'd love the idea of an Iommi signature amp and it has a lot of the features I'm after, that's quite pricey for a practice amp and Guildford's at the other end of the country. As an occasional Sunday school teacher my gf would also find the grill offensive so it's a bit of no go :-(
After a few more recommendations for the Blackstar HT-1 1 from local muso's I'll probably grab one of those cheap and cheerful little chappies!

Tell her there is nothing satanic about the upside-down cross, it was actually the cross of St. Peter sooo...
And you can probably get the Iommi in other places (Andertons did do a really good demo (if you like The Captain and Chappers, i know some guys around her don't))

I like my Blackstar HT-5, but if you're planning in using the Headphones, it'll be a bit disappointing i find.
Can you get a Crate over there? I just got myself a V15 and it sounds great at low volumes. It's all tube & 15 watts, a simple thing with bass, mid, and treble controls, a master volume, reverb and a 12" speaker. The Palomino V16 is the same amp, too, from what I've read. They're all pretty small and they sell very cheaply, too.

I hated Crates for three decades until someone turned me onto the V15. Fantastic, controllable break-up for a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Aug 18, 2013,
+ to the Vypyr tube 60.

You can get them used in the $250-$350 range.

Whisper volumes, like Offworld said, are no problem.

Sounds great cranked too.

I like the Diezel and Dual Rec models the best. They both have this out of control yet refined sound that is both wet and tight at the same time. Juicy tightness I call it.
Quote by AussieTerry84
Who gives a **** its a ****ing amp tell her to drink some fooling concrete! This is Rock N Roll!

Yeah, really useful necro.

Quote by R45VT
No master volume on that amp.

Actually I would say there is. Master volume amps are amps that have individual pre and power amp volume controls. And it has both gain and volume which lets you get distortion sounds at low volumes that non-MV amps can't do - you need to crank a non-MV amp to get distortion. So every amp with individual gain and volume controls are MV amps. Or at least they are not non-MV amps.

I mean, isn't the channel volume just another pre amp volume control and does the same thing as gain on amps that have individual channel and master volume controls (the control is just placed in between some pre amp tubes and maybe the gain control is placed before any pre amp tubes or something like that)? At least that's what it does in the Engl we have at our band practice place.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 18, 2013,