If I understand correctly there's nothing the HD Pro does the HD500 can't do (besides more connection options), right?

So you can put an HD Pro in a rack with a poweramp, and you need a shortboard to control it... or you can out an HD500 on the ground and run it to the poweramp.

It seems like with the HD Pro you have to spend hundreds more... for no real reason.

Why would one want to use and spend so much more on a Pro and a Shortboard over just having the HD500 on the floor?

This isn't really rhetorical, just wondering what people's opinions are on this.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Connecting it to a different board can offer a lot more buttons than the POD floor units. There are also more durable boards than the POD series for people whose gear gets trashed on tour. Using redundant rack units can allow a tech to quickly switch from a failed unit to a backup without having to run out and swap the board on stage. And if you don’t actually use pedals during songs just having a rack unit with patches loaded for songs is less hassle than having a board on the stage.

And in a studio all those inputs might be worth the money. Because time is money, and it’s cheaper to just have those inputs than it is to pay an engineer to repeatedly rig up connections between incompatible devices.
All really good points. Appreciate the input.

I think for me one of the points of using a POD would be to not have pedals.

I also have another question about the PODs. Regardless of which way I were to go, I know I'll want to use an EXP pedal to have a separate volume and wah (or whatever else). I know the Shortboard has an EXP out. Does the HD Pro know what to do with that? Sounds like a stupid question I know, but just want to be 100% sure.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You can set the onboard expression pedal on the HD500 to do both VOL and EXP. And yes, the Pro will handle an external EXP pedal when it's connected to the shortboard.

Another thing to think about, price. The 500 is $500 (less since there is a new model coming out very soon). The Pro + Shortboard is going to be $900.

I think it just comes down to how you're going to use it and budget.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Rack gear gets less beer spilled on it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DarthV
You can set the onboard expression pedal on the HD500 to do both VOL and EXP. And yes, the Pro will handle an external EXP pedal when it's connected to the shortboard.

Another thing to think about, price. The 500 is $500 (less since there is a new model coming out very soon). The Pro + Shortboard is going to be $900.

New model? Any details? I haven't heard of this yet. I am have an XT and have been trying to justify buying the HD desktop to replace it when there is nothing wrong with it other than the fact it's old.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Cathbard
Rack gear gets less beer spilled on it.

That’s an especially good point in many bands.
Quote by R45VT
New model? Any details? I haven't heard of this yet. I am have an XT and have been trying to justify buying the HD desktop to replace it when there is nothing wrong with it other than the fact it's old.

Just a post on TGP. Have no idea if it's true or not. Didn't want to pound through a large thread on TGP
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Well I definitely don't want to buy anything if something new is coming out (obviously assuming it has better modeling).

I'm actually kind of sad at the lack of models in the HD stuff. No Peavey or Diezel models... wtf.

Quote by DarthV

I know, but I want them both to be instantly accessible without having to switch anything.

On my board right now I have my GT-10 exp set up for wah and use my Little Alligator for volume. It's just more convenient.

Quote by DarthV

I am definitely going used, so it's more like $500 for Pro & Shorboard vs $350 for HD500.

I think the point about stage accidents/spillage is really good though, I'd rather invest in safety/future proofing. Buying another Shortboard for $100-150 is a lot prettier than buying another HD500.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 5, 2013,
The biggest pro of the pro (lol) is that you can keep the expensive part in a rack. It's also nice if you have a midi controller that you really like already.

You can assign volume/expression stuff per preset. A volume pedal is treated as it's own effect block and you assign the expression pedal to control it. So it works the same as if you were setting up the exp to control chorus speed or delay feedback. And so when you call up a preset, whatever the exp is set to, that's what it'll do.

Edit: just to clarify, that applies to both exp pedals. Each one is independent and controls whatever you set for that preset.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Jul 5, 2013,
Obviously the Pro is better because Rack is always the answer.

But seriously, glad you started this thread, been wondering the same thing
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by DarthV
Just a post on TGP. Have no idea if it's true or not. Didn't want to pound through a large thread on TGP

Do you have a link? I tried running through the forums and didn't see it.

Thanks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.