The opinion on Krank Amps could not be any more mixed. I love JCM 800s and I saw them made an amp that was geared specifically toward the era of music for a bargain on the used market, so I gave it a shot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This amp shocked me. I have heard the phrase "JCM 800 copy" applied to many, many amps, and I have always been unimpressed. Not this time.

When I first plugged into it, I was shocked at how similar it sounded to my JCM 800. I probably would have been fooled had I not known this was a different amp. It had all the harmonic overtones, crunch, and punch I associate with a Marshall. Now, as I A/B tested the two, there were obvious differences, but just as many in favor of the Krank as the Marshall.

The tone is in essence a more refined JCM 800. Less harsh on the highs, though you could get it quite brash if you wanted. I would say it sounds a bit more articulate as well. The greatest improvement I can give it is that it sounds much tighter and more focused than the JCM. Even with the gain kranked, it stays tight and articulate. So much so that going back to the JCM was difficult. Just like the JCM, the Krank is VERY unforgiving.

This amp doesn't nail the tone 100%, but it is extremely close and in some ways it sounds like I imagined the Marshall would. The Marshall sounds a bit "bigger", but I mainly attribute this to the fact that it is a looser feeling and sounding amp. The Krank can still get plenty of bottom end and has tons of punch. The tightness of the Krank is absolutely a worthy tradeoff.

This is just a perfect rock/hard rock/80s metal amp. For the prices these go for, do no hesitate for a second if this is the sound you seek. I am very hard to please when it comes to amps, but this amp absolutely smokes.

Judging from this experience, Krank knew what they were doing. I will undoubtedly be keeping my eye out for more of this criminally undervalued gear.
HNAD

I live my 1980 Jr. I had the full sized 1980 and it was a beast. It is the poor-mans Splawn QR IMO.

Yeah Krank had some good amps, but they had horrible PR guys. The Chadwick was another really good amp no one seems to know about. Too bad Krank is out of business now.

Hit the front with a boost and give it some mids, and it will rip your face off.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 4, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNAD

I live my 1980 Jr. I had the full sized 1980 and it was a beast. It is the poor-mans Splawn QR IMO.

Yeah Krank had some good amps, but they had horrible PR guys. The Chadwick was another really good amp no one seems to know about. Too bad Krank is out of business now.

Hit the front with a boost and give it some mids, and it will rip your face off.

So you've played the Chadwick? How would that compare to this amp? I see those quite often on the cheap.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Jul 4, 2013,
SWEET! Definitely report to the Krank thread, Krank it UP!

HNAD, as many will tell you I am a fan.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's an amplifier! Happy!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Congrats man. I've yet to play a Krank. I'd like to get my hands on one though!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by patriotplayer90
So you've played the Chadwick? How would that compare to this amp? I see those quite often on the cheap.

The chadwick has a really nice clean channel, but not quite as much gain on tap as the 1980. It is a great Hard-rock amp, and can do metal with a boost. With out a boost I would not suggest it for metal. The chadwick is like a JCM800 with a great clean channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I liked my K-stein +. Too bad it was SMT PCB. I sold it because of that. If I can't repair it myself I really don't want to keep it.

Happy NAD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 4, 2013,
Wow. I didn't realize Krank had closed. That's sad, great amps that were super underrated because of some bad PR they got years ago. At least Tony Krank is still making amps under the name Stiff Amplification, but sad to see another company go to the bad economy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wow. I didn't realize Krank had closed. That's sad, great amps that were super underrated because of some bad PR they got years ago. At least Tony Krank is still making amps under the name Stiff Amplification, but sad to see another company go to the bad economy.

They closed back in March. Not terribly surprising knowing anything about the company history. It was run by a bunch of dumb shits. Only reason they lasted as long as they did is because Tony designed some nice amps.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
They closed back in March. Not terribly surprising knowing anything about the company history. It was run by a bunch of dumb shits. Only reason they lasted as long as they did is because Tony designed some nice amps.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As far as I know, Tony hasn't been part of Krank for quite a while. He's a pretty cool guy, though. He was my amp tech before I found Lawrence at Gearu amps

I'm definitely going to have to check into the 1980 then. With them being defunct now, these are either going to skyrocket in price, or tank (I'm assuming the latter), and I've been wanting an 800 clone for a while.

How is the Kleen channel on this? I had the Chadwick a few years ago and the Kleen channel was surprisingly good. If I could get a nice JCM800 tone, with a nice clean channel for cheap, I'd kill two birds with one stone!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

In so far as I am aware from Tony's letter to Krank owners, it's not that Krank was majorly affected by the economy, rather that the company was basically run into the ground by nut job white goods manufacturers that didn't have the first clue about the guitar amplification market.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by MatrixClaw
As far as I know, Tony hasn't been part of Krank for quite a while. He's a pretty cool guy, though. He was my amp tech before I found Lawrence at Gearu amps

I'm definitely going to have to check into the 1980 then. With them being defunct now, these are either going to skyrocket in price, or tank (I'm assuming the latter), and I've been wanting an 800 clone for a while.

How is the Kleen channel on this? I had the Chadwick a few years ago and the Kleen channel was surprisingly good. If I could get a nice JCM800 tone, with a nice clean channel for cheap, I'd kill two birds with one stone!

The clean channel is surprisingly good, I am pretty impressed.

To me the 1980 is very Splawn QR (KT88 version) with a better clean channel.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MatrixClaw

I wouldn't say the Kleen Channel is great, but it is good. There isn't a ton of headroom, but I really haven't been able to coax a great clean sound out of any tube amp, it always sounds too dirty. Maybe I suck. But it is far from sterile and is much better than say a 5150. Much like a "clean" JCM 800 sound.

The Krank channel is f***ing boss though. Thick,tight, punchy, and gnarly as hell. I was and still am blown away. And if you read my post history on these forums, I hate almost every amp made by everyone. Especially Marshall/800 clones (Mesa, Laney, Traynor, Peavey, I'm looking at you). But this sounds and feels like the real thing, with a few tweaks for the better IMO. I can't imagine I will be keeping my '82 JCM 800 around much longer, as much as I love it.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Jul 6, 2013,