Hey all
I was fiddling with my guitar today and I stumbled across a chord progression that sounded familiar to my ear but I'm not sure what song it's from.

Anyways, I took a video because I want to know if my assumption that it is in the key of E maj and it's a 6, 4, 1, 5 progression, is correct...yes, no?
the only reason that I think it's E maj is because when I end it on E maj it sounds like it resolves. (to me)

The chords are: C#min, A , E, B

The last two times I played a different version of the C#min (a last second decision) but it's the same chord.

So whats the key and the progression?

here is the video...sorry for the bad sound quality (cell phone vid)

http://youtu.be/0y4B9l4r7KI
Last edited by ken styles at Jul 4, 2013,
I'd say it's more C# minor. They do share the same notes after all, so it's really easy to "slip" into E major.

As for the song it might belong to, though there are a lot of songs with that progression, I'd say, from the tempo and rhythm, that it might be Fix You by Coldplay.
Quote by ken styles
so in that case of C# min it's a: 1, 6, 3, 7?

Yes.
Or in Roman numerals, i - VI - III - VII
Ya, I'd say it's in C# minor, but it's a good chord progression in that it can resolve on the relative major, or the tonic minor.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
If the song/progression consists of only those chords, it's in E major.

Your ending is a full cadence on E (V to I), B major to E major. Not only is the progression not resting on C#m but if it were you would have most likely used its dominant V chord which is G# or G#7, and you don't.

HTH.
Last edited by itorres008 at Jul 8, 2013,
It's somewhat ambiguous until the end when the B-E gives it a strong sense of E. That V-I removes the ambiguity that was there until then.

Up until that point, I could have heard it as B or as C#m. You either have a plagal cadence at the end of each phrase (IV-I) or an Aoelian cadence in the turnaround (bVII-i). Both are fairly common. Of course the A isn't diatonic to B major, but the bVII is pretty common. The more I listen to it, the more I hear it as in B until the end, but I think strummed in different ways I could get the C#m resolution pretty easily.
Quote by itorres008
If the song/progression consists of only those chords, it's in E major.

Your ending is a full cadence on E (V to I), B major to E major. Not only is the progression not resting on C#m but if it were you would have most likely used its dominant V chord which is G# or G#7, and you don't.

HTH.

Although I don't disagree with you on the key being Emajor, I would like to point out that it isn't required that one use the dominant chord in a minor key/minor chord progression. Also, the dominant chord in the key of C#minor is G#m or G#m7. As I said though, the key is Emajor.
Different from other electronics, cell phones have become the necessity of every one's daily life. If someone still has no idea of mobile phones, you must say that "Out!" of course except the senior citizens. To be honest, cell phones really bring us lots of benefits. We use it for talking, sending and playing. With it, our life can be modern one, without it, we will be live in the Mars, you know, know nothing about each other. But do cell phones have no disadvantages? Of course not, more and more people are using cell phones at the cost of other interests. Noises are everywhere, especially the one of mobile phones. What should we do, throw them away? It is a stupid behavior. Have you ever heard cell phone signal booster? It is a new kind of device to solve this problem, effective in blocking the signals of your cell phone and its nearby base station. one side, the mobile phone really benefits us a lot, but another side we also benefit from its noises for a long time, so the fight between the cell phone and cell phone jammers has been a hot topic in society now. Which side you stand by, jamming or not, it depends on you.