So, yesterday my older brother asked me to re-string his guitar, I decided I would google it anyways since I have never re-strung a left handed guitar.

Today, I found out that he wants me to string it to left handed, again. Back in time a few years...

My brother wanted to learn guitar but he was left handed and my parents couldn't find a left handed guitar. Anyways, after a lot of searching, and away on a home school trip thing, they found a left handed guitar for around $500 I think. My brother quit later because our pastor turned out to not be teaching in an interesting way.

Later on, I got back into guitar, and get the left handed re-strung to right handed, and used that until I got the epiphone special II(recently broke), and then just left the left handed alone.

Now, my brother wants to get back into guitar again, and wants me to teach him a bit, but also wants me to re-string his guitar. I have no idea how to do this since we had a shop string it as right handed(the guy who did it got murdered, so unsure if the shop could do it good again).

I am guessing it has something to do with the nut, and adjusting the bridge. It is an electric guitar, and all I know is that it is an epiphone, and looks kind of like a les paul.. here let me link to the one it looks like [forbidden link] Unsure about the fret markers since I haven't seen the guitar since I last used it.

Any ideas on this? He doesn't want a shop to do it for whatever reason though, I think because he doesn't have much money right now.
You'll need to change the nut for starters. What you do to the bridge is gonna depend on what sort of bridge it is, but the nut is the most important part.
Still kind of confused after all that whether the guitar in question is right or left handed, but basically the nut has to match. You know, big slots for the big strings and small slots for the small strings. Everything else will work.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
It sounds like you'll need to replace the nut, i think you can get them for as little as 5 or 10 pounds but trying to replace it yourself may be a bad idea. You should just go to a shop and get someone to do it for you, they'll set everything up properley aswell, it shouldn't cost more than 30 or 40 pounds.
Quote by SaintVitus
It sounds like you'll need to replace the nut, i think you can get them for as little as 5 or 10 pounds but trying to replace it yourself may be a bad idea. You should just go to a shop and get someone to do it for you, they'll set everything up properley aswell, it shouldn't cost more than 30 or 40 pounds.

Well, I would personally take it to the shop and have them do it for me, but my brother wants me to do it so he can play tomorrow, so I shall try, I guess.

But, now I am scared to try, because I asked my mom about it, and the guitar is a les paul. Doubt it is the original les paul, but it is still a $500 guitar.
I have another question. Everything seemed to turn out fine, except for me forgetting it was a left handed guitar and made it so the high strings turn up to tune up, and the low strings turn down to tune up, and that I couldn't put the pick guard on since I lost the screw.

Anyways, I realized the action is very low, and am wondering if that is adjustable? My guess would be that I have to raise the bridge thing, to raise the strings a bit. The problem is, that after the 16th fret, the other frets sound bad. I thought about it, and noticed this after my first time I changed the strings when it was first re-strung to right handed.
Quote by matthewzguitarz
I have another question. Everything seemed to turn out fine, except for me forgetting it was a left handed guitar and made it so the high strings turn up to tune up, and the low strings turn down to tune up, and that I couldn't put the pick guard on since I lost the screw.

Anyways, I realized the action is very low, and am wondering if that is adjustable? My guess would be that I have to raise the bridge thing, to raise the strings a bit. The problem is, that after the 16th fret, the other frets sound bad. I thought about it, and noticed this after my first time I changed the strings when it was first re-strung to right handed.

I'm guessing you just didn't check the guitar's intonation. If you changed from left-right or vice-versa without readjusting, things are gonna start sound real bad down there, yeah. Every string needs to be a slightly different length in order to fret the notes accurately. Note though that on standard fretting perfect pitch on every note is impossible unless you've got the fingers of god. for reference. That god damn G string!