I signed up for a sound engineering class for next year because I like the concept of mixing music and technology. So I decided to try my hand at some DAWs during summer to prepare myself. I found a browser based DAW to work with but the problem is I have no idea how to get started. So I'd appreciate it if anyone could me some info. Articles online, personal experience, anything really.
It depends on the DAW, they all function differently. They all have their similarities but it'd help if you actually said what DAW you're using (I'm gonna assume Pro Tools is what you're going to end up using in your class but you've gotta buy that first)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Get hold of REAPER (it's damn cheap) and read all the documentation you can. But ultimately nothing is better than experience.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Get hold of REAPER (damn cheap) and read all the documentation you can. But ultimately nothing is better than experience.

This. Reaper is very easy to learn and most of the workflow is very transferable to Cubase.

Pro Tools, on the other hand... Nothing like any other DAW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you are serious about sound design in particular, then I recommend Live.

It's basically synonymous for routing w/e through w/e with your mind being the limit.

It's also very intuitive, once you are passed the beginning stage, which can be achieved within 3 months (ie. Where everything is located, and general interface).

It also has Max/Msp integrated, which is basically THE Programming language of sound (think Sound controlling lighting, sound being processed on different controllers, intervallic time based sound on real world events, think Theatre).

For more advice on sound design I suggest scour the market for some old synths, can't beat that sound experimenting goodness.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The best thing to do would be to try out a bunch of different DAWs. Ultimately they all offer the same functions, just different layouts etc. So look around at all the different ones available, watch a bunch of youtube videos, 'perfectly legally' obtain them and try them yourself.

I just finished a music tech college course (that's English college, not American.) The college I was at used Logic Pro 9, but I find personally that I much prefer Cubase. They both do the same stuff, I just prefer Cubase personally.
Yarr!