I need help from any piano players out there.
I have these 3 Chords, but I don't know what the third one is.

A [A - C# - E]
C#m/A [ G#m - C# - E]
X/A [G - C# - E]

Basically Im just moving a 1/2 note down from A -> G
I need to know what chord X is, thanks!
I thought it was C#m Dim or C Aug, but I know im wrong
Last edited by IwcWombat at Jul 5, 2013,
Looks like a C#m7b5 to me.

Also, there is no such chord as a minor diminished chord.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Quote by MattyBoy 1337
Looks like a C#m7b5 to me.

Also, there is no such chord as a minor diminished chord.

What chord would it be if you only played the keys, [ C# - E - G ], but other than that C#m7b5 is the perfect chord! Thanks so much
Last edited by IwcWombat at Jul 5, 2013,
Quote by IwcWombat
What chord would it be if you only played the keys, [ C# - E - G ], but other than that C#m7b5 is the perfect chord! Thanks so much

C#dim, which is actually the chord you're looking for. C#m7b5 (half-diminished 7th) has a B as well.

Also, why are you calling your chords .../A?
Last edited by sickman411 at Jul 5, 2013,
I would say it's an A7 in this context.

The chord progression you have has that descending chromatic bassline that is really usual. The first song to come to my mind that uses similar progression is Home Sweet Home by Mötley Crüe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPQJKaDLgY
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 5, 2013,
Oh, are you playing an A bass over all of that? If so, MaggaraMarine is correct - your progression would be A - Amaj7 - A7.
Sorry I ignored the slash chords a bit. I was just a bit confused by your notation and thought that maybe you didn't really know what was going on (no offense). Let's look at the way you wrote it:

A [A - C# - E]
C#m/A [ G#m - C# - E]
X/A [G - C# - E]

I figured that the notes in brackets would be the make-up of the chords on the left. The first chord makes sense this way. But in the second chord, you put G# minor as an actual note in the chord which makes no sense. Chords aren't notes in other chords.

Also, if it would have been written as an actual slash chord, I would assume that you would have put your intended bass note into the brackets, which was not done. This leads me to believe that maybe all the "/A" s you put were by mistake. You repeated this problem in the third chord; you gave a hypothetical chord and didn't follow through with a correct definition of what it might be.

I might just be nitpicking or being crazy, but that's how I saw it. The most accurate answers go to the most accurately phrased questions.

EDIT: Also, I thought that the reason you were highlighting notes (and G#m lol) was to illustrate what the roots were. But G# is not the root of any C# chord, and if you highlighted G in the third chord, then I thought you must have considered G to be the root. If I followed my logic correctly. A little confusing to me.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Last edited by MattyBoy 1337 at Jul 5, 2013,
Yeah didn't even realize I put G#m as a note until right now haha. Yeah i should have wrote about how I wanted the bass to be, honestly I didn't think I would get this much help (1st thread xD) when posting this, but you guys are amazing!