I've had Ernie Ball 10-56 on my 7-string for almost a year now and the strings are still very playable. How is this possible?
I play the guitar regularly, but the strings just didn't die out, and also, there are no rust marks! Did I get a wrong set of strings from adamantium? I just don't understand how this is possible!
Opinion?
I will agree. I believe that you're probably just use to them being junky, whether they look decent or not.

Strings usually last me 2-3months a set at most, playing regularly.
I'm just saying that they are in an unusually good condition. Otherwise, my strings normally die out after a few weeks.
a variety of things affect the strings' life. i always facepalm when people say, "they'll definitely die within two weeks!" when they probably live in a rainforest and have corrosive acid sweat.

plus i mean changing strings more often than you need is a waste of time and money. do these people work for string manufacturers? LOL

It is strange if they normally die out on you quickly, though. different climate conditions maybe? maybe it's drier where you are than normal or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They die after about 100 hrs. Mine always look perfect when I change them, but there're not. The harmonics die, they get stretched too much, bumpy and dead.
I've had some sets last unusually long, others which needed replacing after hardly any time at all.

I have to say though, I partly agree with flexiblemile - no matter how good this set seem to be, a new set will always be an improvement. The first couple of sessions with a new set of strings are always the best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Tempoe
They die after about 100 hrs. Mine always look perfect when I change them, but there're not. The harmonics die, they get stretched too much, bumpy and dead.

'there're'

ouch....
Now you guys have got me thinking that I'm changing my strings too often

If I put a new set of strings on, and play the guitar as I normally would, I get about 3 weeks absolute max. Usually just over two.

If I'm playing a lot, I can go through a set in just a few days ....???

For example, I put a new set on tues, spent all day wed in the studio, and I'd say I'll be lucky to get the rest of the week out of the strings...

I've tried all different brands, and I always make sure to clean my guitar after playing it, but I always end up with the same results.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I say depends what you do with them. If you're actually recording and performing, by all means change them every week.

If you're just sitting at home playing once or twice a week for your cat, let them rust. Who cares?
^^ no, if that's all you get out of them, that's fair enough. maybe the climate where you are is harsh on the strings, or your sweat is acidic, etc. etc. I get six months easily out of mine. my sweat seems to be pretty benign, and the climate here is pretty consistent, too.

all i was complaining about was people who religiously change their strings like once every two weeks and act like there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't.

^ that too. That's not to say that if you only play at home that you don't deserve new strings or anything like that (I only play at home ), but if you were getting paid for playing, then changing strings would be more of a necessity (aside from anything else, older strings are more likely to break, and you ideally want to minimise your chances of a string breaking on stage).

the other thing is, constantly tweaking your guitar will massively eat into your practice time (at least, it would for me). Again, that's not to say that you should play a badly setup guitar (and again, it depends somewhat on your climate etc.), but if you're making a fetish out of it...

do the stuff if you think it needs to be done, in other words. don't do it because you think you "have to".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 5, 2013,
When I am just practicing I can keep a set of strings for a month.

When I am giging or touring, I change strings after every show. Before I did this all the time I would almost always break a string on the second night. I am pretty hard on strings especially live

I also use a pic for only one night when touring because I like to have the new feeling every night
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

When I am giging or touring, I change strings after every show. Before I did this all the time I would almost always break a string on the second night. I am pretty hard on strings especially live

I also use a pic for only one night when touring because I like to have the new feeling every night

I think you're silly - use heavier strings, they don't break so easily :P
Quote by ruletheneck

I think what I do is just fine, it is a personal preference thing. Besides your not buying my strings and pic's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I gon't think you should break them so easy, maybe a gibson style hard bridge with the pointy bridge saddles?
FR never ever break them, sometimes if I pull up too hard they pop out, but a simple fix, 2 mins even live.
Quote by Tempoe
I gon't think you should break them so easy, maybe a gibson style hard bridge with the pointy bridge saddles?
FR never ever break them, sometimes if I pull up too hard they pop out, but a simple fix, 2 mins even live.

No USA PRS trem. I sweat pretty bad and my strings get drenched.

I always have a back-up ready to go
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They may feel ok - but how's the intonation?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by red.guitar
Now you guys have got me thinking that I'm changing my strings too often

If I put a new set of strings on, and play the guitar as I normally would, I get about 3 weeks absolute max. Usually just over two.

If I'm playing a lot, I can go through a set in just a few days ....???

For example, I put a new set on tues, spent all day wed in the studio, and I'd say I'll be lucky to get the rest of the week out of the strings...

I've tried all different brands, and I always make sure to clean my guitar after playing it, but I always end up with the same results.

Same here. Normally I would change the strings every two weeks.
In some cases, I change them more often. I once tried a 7-38 set on a 25' scale guitar. I put them on, played a few chords, and took them off 5 minutes after. And the guitar had locking tuners, so the strings were not salvageable. Good thing they were really cheap.
The strings on my slide guitar last a long time - too long. I have a set of heavier strings to try on it and I'm waiting for the old ones to die so I'm not wasting money - and the ****ing things just won't die.
Oh well, I guess that's what happens when you hardly ever touch the strings with your fingers or fret them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
it is a personal preference thing.

The correct answer to soooooo many threads.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ +1

Quote by Robbgnarly

oh yeah i mean if i gigged i'd use fresh strings for every show (or at least change them a lot more often than i do currently ).

Quote by ruletheneck

that's even stupider than the people who tell you to change your strings every two weeks or you're doing it wrong.

Use strings you're not comfortable with so they last slightly longer? Madness.

Quote by Cathbard
They may feel ok - but how's the intonation?

good point.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Changing strings after every show would absolutely piss me the **** off.

I don't understand why people like that clangy, metallic fresh string tone. It's awful.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Changing strings after every show would absolutely piss me the **** off.

I don't understand why people like that clangy, metallic fresh string tone. It's awful.

I don't change my strings after every gig, probably ever 2nd or 3ed, if they are in a row.

I do personally love the feel/sound of new strings! Whats not to like? I find it much easier to play, and my guitars always seem more responsive/lively with new strings.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H