Hello guys,

First a little introduction. I used to play a bit of guitar 10 years ago in a band. The band is long gone and I haven't really been playing since then. Our former guitarist is back into guitar and want us to play together, so it really got me back into it.

The thing is I can't find an amp. I found myself totally baffled by the likes of Vypyr and Line 6. Did such things exist 10 years ago ? I don't care if it has 2 millions effects on it. All I want is a simple amp with a nice clean and a nice overdrive. Effects ? I'm happy with a simple reverb. Can you guys help me find such thing ?

I'll be playing from blues to metal (nothing heavier than Metallica tho) and my budget is $150.

I already did some research and came across a Marshall valvestate 8040 for around $150. It kinda matches my expectations but I found the overdrive from the youtube videos to be very noisy. Would that be a good choice ?

Thanks for the help!
Don't go for the Valvestate. I'd take a look at the likes of a used Peavey Bandit 112, or if you're up for the learning curve, a Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Well it's really not the learning curve to get me understand those modelling amps that puts me off, it's just that I'm not interested at all with their features. I just don't want to pay for what I won't use. As I said: clean, overdrive, reverb. Nice and simple...with a good sound! =)
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-FLEXTONE-II-60W-COMBO-AMP-109022984-i3141081.gc

This will cover any style, yes it does have a bunch of FX, but it is very simple to use and you do not have to use FX unless you want

It sounds really nice also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 5, 2013,
Sorry!

The page you're looking for has either expired or is temporarily unavailable. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Amp name maybe ?

edit: Oh it works now. I should have mentioned that I live in switzerland, so it would be pretty hard to have a second hand amp shipped here.
Last edited by wask_ at Jul 5, 2013,
Quote by wask_
Amp name maybe ?

I fixed the link it works now, sorry
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks! but as I said I can't get anything second hand that's outside my country.

I should have mentioned that I also found a second hand vox ad15vt for around $100. better fit than the marshall ?
Quote by wask_
Thanks! but as I said I can't get anything second hand that's outside my country.

I should have mentioned that I also found a second hand vox ad15vt for around $100. better fit than the marshall ?

Yeah that makes a big difference

Peavey Vypyr 30 used is ~€100ish and will work for what you want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My best advice is to save up a little and get yourself something from the Jet City JCA Series. You'll be glad you did!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
My best advice is to save up a little and get yourself something from the Jet City JCA Series. You'll be glad you did!

Those are pretty good amps... the Black Star HT series are quite good for the money as well. Yes yes, before someone starts the whole shit, they are hybrid amps (solid state + tube circuits).
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
How bout an Epiphone Valve Jr? It doesn't get any simpler than a Valve Jr. It starts to break up around tv volume so there's not much clean but it's a kickass lil amp that'll keep up with drums if it has to. Good dirty blues to crispy od tone.
Quote by lucky1978
How bout an Epiphone Valve Jr? It doesn't get any simpler than a Valve Jr. It starts to break up around tv volume

what the hell volume do you watch TV at?!?!?!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what the hell volume do you watch TV at?!?!?!

Ya, I guess I forgot to mention mine is modded with a gain knob. Still a very simple amp that I have about $150 in.
Quote by wask_
Well it's really not the learning curve to get me understand those modelling amps that puts me off, it's just that I'm not interested at all with their features. I just don't want to pay for what I won't use. As I said: clean, overdrive, reverb. Nice and simple...with a good sound! =)

With your budget, "paying for what you won't use" isn't even an issue. Your budget is scraping the bottom of the barrel, and I'm not trying to be harsh or condescending, but rather trying to illustrate the relative prices of guitar gear.

The Peavey Vypyr is easily one of, in my opinion the best sounding amp in the entry level range. You don't have to use the effects at all. In fact, due to the WYSIWYG format of the Vypyr, it's easier to not use effects than most other modelers. There is no programming or deep editing at all, it doesn't come off as a digital amp in that sense. It is very straightforward.

If you still refuse to go with a modeling amp, then I agree with whoever suggested the Peavey Bandit 112.

Are you in the US? If it's possible for you to save up a little more, you can get something like a Peavey ValveKing. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVY-VALVEKING-VK-112-109049223-i3158150.gc That sounds like the kind of thing that you're looking for. But that sort of amp is a little over your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've played a Bandit 112 and it's nothing special. Definitely no better than a Valvestate.

Get a Vypyr - They're quite easy to use.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
I've played a Bandit 112 and it's nothing special. Definitely no better than a Valvestate.

I agree. I owned a bandit for 3 years or so. It was an okay amp, and got the job done, but you can do much better for the price.

Like it has been mentioned multiple times before, in the case of amp buying, especially with a budget like you're looking at, you would be much, MUCH better off saving up a little more and buying a nice tube combo that you won't likly hate 6 months down the road.

Thats just my $.02, coming from a guy with 10+ years experience, and a few bad gear buying decisions behind my belt
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 6, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
Ya, I guess I forgot to mention mine is modded with a gain knob. Still a very simple amp that I have about $150 in.

ah ok
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
With your budget, "paying for what you won't use" isn't even an issue. Your budget is scraping the bottom of the barrel, and I'm not trying to be harsh or condescending, but rather trying to illustrate the relative prices of guitar gear.

The Peavey Vypyr is easily one of, in my opinion the best sounding amp in the entry level range. You don't have to use the effects at all. In fact, due to the WYSIWYG format of the Vypyr, it's easier to not use effects than most other modelers. There is no programming or deep editing at all, it doesn't come off as a digital amp in that sense. It is very straightforward.

If you still refuse to go with a modeling amp, then I agree with whoever suggested the Peavey Bandit 112.

Are you in the US? If it's possible for you to save up a little more, you can get something like a Peavey ValveKing. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVY-VALVEKING-VK-112-109049223-i3158150.gc That sounds like the kind of thing that you're looking for. But that sort of amp is a little over your budget.

Thank you for your answer.

I realize good guitar gear cost much, I was just wondering if there was alternatives to modelling amps in my price range. I just find quite weird that there isn't. Oh I guess the market for it is too small.

I'll try to find a used vypyr 15 then I guess. OR, since I found a used JetCity JCA2112RC for around $300, I'll be unreasonable and just go for it.
If you go the Vypyr route, I can't urge you to go for the 30 enough. The 15 is the kind of amp that makes people hate modeling amps. I owned one, it was my first "real" amp. And it's crap compared to the 30. An 8" speaker vs a 12" speaker is a huge difference - separates the practice amps from the toys. The 30 has a 12" speaker, while the 15 only has an 8".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Haha well then I'm back to square one cause since I live in switzerland a new Vypyr 30 will cost as much as the used all tube jetcity I found (around $300). And the second hand market is quite smallish here. I guess the answer to my question is to just wait till I can afford something better.