#1
Hey guys, I was hoping to get a little technical help with something.

I've got a pretty average sounding 100W solid state head, and I want to upgrade my sound. I've been looking into some low-wattage Tube amps for a nice rich tone for a pretty low cost, as well as being able to have great tone at bedroom levels (which is currently about 99% of the time I play, the other 1% being the occasional jam with a drummer). For reference, I'm leaning towards the Blackstar HT5 head, but who knows.

The only issue, however, is that with only 5 watts, playing a live show (without PA + foldback) or even a loud jam will be a stretch. And even though I'm not currently gigging, I want to have that option.

Anyways, apparently it's possible to use my 100W head (which has an FX loop) as a power amp by plugging the HT5's FX out -> the 100 watter's FX in, then from there, output into the cab. Then I should... have awesome tube tone with much higher volume/headroom..? Is this the basic idea?

And my other question is, will I have to put a dummy load on the HT5 so I don't blow the output fuse, or will this bypass the whole power amp section of it and not risk damaging the amp? Oh, and which master volume would do the work?

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
#2
It will work, how it will sound I don't have a clue

Yes the HT5 would need a load of some kind, unless Blackstar have stated otherwise (I don't know)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
#3
Why not get a decent tube preamp to use? The peavey Rack-Master is a great pre-amp and is cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
#4
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why not get a decent tube preamp to use? The peavey Rack-Master is a great pre-amp and is cheap


THIS.

Anyway in case you are dead set on the Blackstar, buy one of those Blackstar HT pedals and plug that into the FX loop return of your solid state amp. The HT5 is not full tube anyway and those pedals will get you close enough.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
#5
Quote by JarradB
The only issue, however, is that with only 5 watts, playing a live show (without PA + foldback) or even a loud jam will be a stretch. And even though I'm not currently gigging, I want to have that option.

Anyways, apparently it's possible to use my 100W head (which has an FX loop) as a power amp by plugging the HT5's FX out -> the 100 watter's FX in, then from there, output into the cab. Then I should... have awesome tube tone with much higher volume/headroom..? Is this the basic idea?


that is one way of doing it. you's be using the preamp on the HT5 and using the power amp of the solid state amp.

i have no affirmation for the 'awesome tube tone' statement though. it is acceptable to hook your amps up that way, but 'awesome tone' may not necessarily be the end result.

another way of using the HT5 live is to put a mic in front of the amp and run that to the PA. if you have a PA for a show that would probably be more preferable. the HT5 also seems to have a speaker simulated output as well and you could send that to the PA instead.

Quote by JarradB
And my other question is, will I have to put a dummy load on the HT5 so I don't blow the output fuse, or will this bypass the whole power amp section of it and not risk damaging the amp? Oh, and which master volume would do the work?


no dummy load required, it does bypass the whole power amp section and beyond that you shouldn't be disconnecting the speaker anyway so the amp should be properly loaded regardless.

that master volume on the 'slave' amp (the 100 watter) should be the one to adjust for volume. though some volume tweaking on both amps may be necessary.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae