Page 1 of 2
What shouldi pick? I love anime and ant to learn Japanese so I can be a teacher or translator for anime. U-pitt is making me pick another major. My mom says go with Education but It just doesn't grab my interest. i'dpick music but it would only befor self satisfaction 9 knowing how to play the piano, and sing, probably won't make a career of it if I did that hank you for your help.

EDIT: Just sowe'reclear, I'm not a spoiled bitch saying I'm not listening to my mom becauemajoring in education is boring, it's just from the looks of it, you simply learn a 'structure' for teaching and is absolutely not necessary to get a teaching job. I'm left handed and there fore I think with my right brain and don't do very well with learning "structure" and doing things according to formulas, I'd much rather experiment and create my own style especially to teach Japanese which is a vey non formula based thing to do.
Last edited by NyakoBwazo at Jul 5, 2013,
Spanish.

Seriously, if you're into anime, some kind of animation or film major would match.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Be prepared to tell the girls on your online dating sites about the great blog you run.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You're right brained and structure doesn't sit well with you, but you're going to college?
Good luck, get an adderall proscription or you're shit out of luck
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by NyakoBwazo
I'm left handed and there fore I think with my right brain and don't do very well with learning "structure" and doing things according to formulas,

-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
you sound like you just need to commit sudoku
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by NyakoBwazo
I'm left handed and there fore I think with my right brain and don't do very well with learning "structure" and doing things according to formulas, I'd much rather experiment and create my own style especially to teach Japanese which is a vey non formula based thing to do.

Perhaps psychology, then you can learn how the left and right brain actually interact rather than relying on pop psychology.
My grammar isn't that bad, when i'm really trying. also, I candela with rules, regulations and such, I just am not very good comepleting work that is structured as hell like math and doing graphs etc. Thank you for the animation suggestion.my mom knows I like anime so she'd be ok with that. Even Spanish, although Spanish isn't very interesting to me.
Have you considered majoring in Jesus, your lord and savior?

EDIT

Wait - you're saying that Japanese is not, as a language, formula based? It's absolutely linear - have you even researched what you're interested in? Try writing kanji without doing the brush strokes in the right order, or trying to conjugate without thinking about it linearly and applying that concept to other verbs, not to mention that they've got three separate alphabets, all of which are used for different reasons, and at this point, you're not even talking about speaking it.

I think you don't know what you want, but judging by your control of English, I'd say you should major in that and really learn how to use it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jul 5, 2013,
Good luck. I'm serious; you're going to need it. You majored in Japanese because you love anime. This was not an especially good idea. If you want to teach, you'll need a teaching certification. On top of that, I'm going to go ahead and say that there's not a massive demand for Japanese teachers. Do what you want, but realize that life with a degree in Japanese might not be all that you think it will. Also, regardless of what you might think, languages are logical and follow patterns.

On topic: Get a second degree in something that you can possibly use. Education wouldn't be a bad idea if you want to teach. Everything is structured. This isn't something you can avoid. Psychology wouldn't be a bad idea as it isn't math intensive and you're generally doing research and presentations. It isn't terribly analytical.

With that said, you need to choose. I can't choose for you. You're doing something already for reasons I can't understand. Pick a major that you enjoy. If not, you can pick a major that you might not enjoy, but could potentially be beneficial. It's your choice.
Last edited by zackk at Jul 5, 2013,
Take some time to really decide what you want to do. Saying you want to major in Japanese cause you like anime is like me saying I want to major in spanish because I like tacos. You're not really considering all of the work you'd have to put into it. It's also kind of limited.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Literature, or Film Studies. Or History, I guess.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
please be a troll
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by NyakoBwazo

majoring in education is boring, it's just from the looks of it, you simply learn a 'structure' for teaching and is absolutely not necessary to get a teaching job.

Wrong. So wrong. You learn a lot in education courses.

It may be possible to get a teaching job without an education degree, but the actual teaching experiences you get from education classes just puts you that much further ahead than others. Many people can be teachers, but being a really good teacher is pretty difficult to do.
Why would anyone recommend Psychology along with a Japanese major?

You're looking at wasting 4 years of time and money to come out with little to no job opportunities. Unless you actually know someone who works in the field you want and can hook you up with a job.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Stop making fun of my English, I graduated high school with honors I just get lazy on forums and such.

Also, I took Japanese all four years of high school and was at the top of my class. I love the Japanese culture and have been to Japan before and loved it.

Also i'll have the second major and an associates in Liberal Artsto back me up. I'll take Education classes, just won't major in it.

FOR ALL PEOPLE WHO MOSTLIKELY HAVENOT MAJORED IN JAPANESE AND STILL'VE GOTTHE NERVE TO CALL IT POINTLESS:

http://iamaramblingblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/tirade.html
Last edited by NyakoBwazo at Jul 6, 2013,
Well whatever you major in, eventually becoming a teacher/professor on the side will help you recall/retain a lot more information about your primary field.
NothingRocks: Only because if you start using hiragana from the beginning, nobody's going to know what the heck you're talking about unless you have romaji under it AT LEAST. Although I will agree that I should have atleast put everything in hiragana too
\

Also, I'm a girl, look at my name
Quote by NyakoBwazo

Also, I'm a girl, look at my name

Because everyone on UG can speak Japanese and determine male from female names
StewieSwan:Care to justify?
Mathematics, Japanese people love it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Wow, now you want to take Liberal Arts?

You must not be paying for your college.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by NothingRocks
I'm supposed to determine that solely from that you have "ko" in your UG name when your UG name isn't necessarily in Japanese?

wat

Bwazo is a well known female name, I've got several female friends name Bwazo. How do you not know that?
Quote by Malchius
Bwazo is a well known female name, I've got several female friends name Bwazo. How do you not know that?

You live in Eastbourne. Surely the other guys at the elderly home you're in just call them "chinky"?
I have to take Liberal Arts due to being forced to start off at a two year school in order to get into the University of Pittsburgh, which is one of the best places to study Japanese,, even so iplan o improving my Japanese through studying before I get to Pittsburgh.

My name isn't really Japanese, . . . -_-
Page 1 of 2